Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C3 Rear End Assembly into Ford Truck

SVO

Corvette
69 L68 Vert, 72 LS-5 Cpe, 72 LT-1 Air 'Vert
100_3322.JPGSince it's April Fools Day, No problem with a hoist.:L

Recent Craigslist find, complete '78 rear assembly. One trailing arm and the half shafts will put a complete rear suspension under a "garage find" '68 and help bring it back into the light. Differential will find a new home under my '72 coupe. The two Centerline rims sold off to a local Camaro Hero. Rest will go into the spares pile for some future use...

And that about as good as it would get in a truck! Looks like an aftermarket spring was used, heat shield is factory. Be sure to check the diff good. The 78's had issues with the RG bolts backing out and shearing/breaking things. The clutches are junk but you will change those anyway, axles if original also junk. Good news you probably got it right and they can be built into very strong units:thumb

Hi Gary,

Craiglist guy was asking $500 and his rock bottom price was $375. Camaro Boy gave $100 for the two rims. Selling the one t-arm and two half shafts to high school friend for $200. Leaves me $75 in the hole for whats left. Pulled the rear cover and all looks well inside. Ring gear is a 3:55 and going to try to re-use it. I assume that Tom's will have a clutch kit. Hadn't heard that the stub axles were suspect. Is it a problem with them being soft or ? If soft, can they be heat treated? Anyway, Best Regards from Texas.

Bob

Hi Gary,

Craiglist guy was asking $500 and his rock bottom price was $375. Camaro Boy gave $100 for the two rims. Selling the one t-arm and two half shafts to high school friend for $200. Leaves me $75 in the hole for whats left. Pulled the rear cover and all looks well inside. Ring gear is a 3:55 and going to try to re-use it. I assume that Tom's will have a clutch kit. Hadn't heard that the stub axles were suspect. Is it a problem with them being soft or ? If soft, can they be heat treated? Anyway, Best Regards from Texas.

Bob

Hi Bob
Sounds like a good deal you have there. You can look on the side of the RG for a GM Stamp, tooth count and date to confirm. Tom will have the clutch kit, be sure to only get the solid steels, no fiber coated or snowflakes type clutches. Stub axles were lousy from about 73-79, they stopped hardening them. Remove them, install the snap rings back on and measure from the face to the snap ring. Should be in the .185-200" range if so check the hardness -should be 50-55 Rc scale. If they are original I doubt they will be in spec but if so and soft then yes you can have them hardened and reuse them which is better then new or rebuilt yokes today. Replace the ring gear bolts with ARP 12 bolt RG bolt, countersink the flange holes so they fully seat and use #271 Loctite on them, torqued to 60 ft/lb. Add in socket head cap screws to the bearing caps and you'll have a nice diff.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom