Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C3 Sad Story of my Cruisefest vacation

Corvette
'72 Targa Blue Coupe
Hi folks -

Yep, Rick here. Car is down. Hard. I'm working on getting some photos off the camera for the whole story, but a version goes like this:

Cruising through Kansas on Tuesday, 60 miles from Hays, our first stop on the way. Gauges looking perfect - 40 psi oil, 175 degrees coolant. All day that way, 70 mph, 3000 RPM, all is well. Next moment rear view mirror is full of white smoke. Engine just stops. Nothing. Huh. Pull out the tool bag, pull #1 plug, looks okay. Pull #3, oh, no, the bottom of the plug is gone. :ugh No insulator, no ground, just the threads on the end. Put finger in the hole-no compression. Check oil-it's over full. Check coolant-it's down. I'm thinking blown head gasket. Tow truck driver arrives and brings me back to his shop. Wednesday morning, he can tell I have a clue, so he loans me a shop bay and I do a compression check all around. All good except #3. I pull it down-3 hours total-using only my tools except the head bolts-I used his 3/8" air impact to speed the job. Pull the head-BIG hole in the piston. Another hole in the head at the combustion chamber area. Valve stem separated from the seat-the locks, spring, retainer are all there-the bottom part of the exhaust valve beat up the engine. Closer inspection-cracked block on #3 wall. Aw, heck. My matching # block! :cry

Tow truck driver, GREAT guy, Jack Foster in Grainfield, KS, loans me his wife's Olds 88 aka "Deerslayer" as the front end is smashed and the windshield is all busted from a deer collision. We head back to Denver Wednesday afternoon, get in about 8 and head to the bar.:cry :drink

Thursday, find a U-haul trailer, jump in my wife's Silverado Z-71, load the Deerslayer and back to Kansas. Pay Jack $150 for everything-tow from highway, car rental, shop use, inside storage, etc.. Tellin' ya, Jack is a GREAT fellow. :) Get back to Denver later that night. Long day. :z

So, now I plan to take the 383 stroker from the '70 Chevelle wagon and drop it in the 'Vette :D And the original, matching # 350 from the wagon gets rebuilt and put back in the wagon. I'm told I can save the 'Vette motor with a bore and a liner, not sure about the head yet, though. That will wait for awhile. At least I can salvage some of the summer and will try to make "Vettes on the Rockies" late July. Tibby (Tiburon, Spanish for shark) will live again!

As a follow up to the story-here is a link to the photos I promised earlier:

http://photos.msn.com/Slideshow/Viewer.htm?locale=en-us&config=%2fSlideshow%2fConfig.aspx%3flocale%3den-us%26folder%3dnBuRgwTGIGjkVpLJ3Nc!FPV*4ecOHGzkEmGDMKqqDEU%24&data=%2fSlideshow%2fData.aspx%3ffolder%3dnBuRgwTGIGjkVpLJ3Nc!FPV*4ecOHGzkEmGDMKqqDEU%24%26index%3d6

When we stopped at a rest area outside Burlington, a little old lady spotted us in the Deerslayer in the parking lot. She ran up and said "Oh, my god! Are you allright?" I said, "oh, we're fine-this cars a loaner!" ;LOL She gave us this real puzzled look :confused turned around a walked away.

I took a photo of Jack's "service bus", cause it's pretty neat. It has a gas-powered air compressor (exhaust above left taillight) and a tire changing machine, along with spare tires, batteries and a roll around toolbox with the wheels off and bolted down. I thought it was pretty cool. The hotel was kind enough to give me old towels and a bedsheet (I gave them $5). You can see the valve next to the head. Locks, spring, stem and retainer are still in the head!

Sorry I missed you guys. Real bummer, huh? :(

My weekend is cut out for me. Just received a new Edelbrock 'Vette water pump to put on the 383 and 2 engine dollys in the mail from Summit. I hope to pull them both out this weekend, prep/clean during the week and replant the 383 next weekend. Hoping to turn the key on the 4th of July! :pat :bu :Steer

Rick

Sorry to hear about the bad luck Rick, but it's heartening to hear about "Jack" and his willingness to help a guy out. We need more people like that on this planet. :upthumbs

By the way, where is this shop in case I'm in Kansas sometime down the road and need assistance? Kansas is usually not a good place to break down and it helps to know someone you can trust. :CAC

Jack Foster is in Grainfield, Kansas, about 60 miles west of Hays. He has his towing business, runs a NAPA auto parts store, and has a repair shop next to that. The shop in the pictures is his old facility, his newer one is 2 blocks away. He's got a pretty successful operation. I have been considering a similar business venture (towing/repair/sales/wrecking). By the way-he offered me a job! I think he was impressed by the way I duct taped Deerslayer's eyeball back together and tore my motor down using hand tools in under 3 hours.

Jack's Automotive Repair and Towing
154 Main
Grainfield, KS 67737
(785) 673-4258
(800) 536-4258

I'm keeping his card with me every time I go that way. I got it from him in case I got pulled over in the Deerslayer and the nice officer didn't buy my story :D

Rick

:w

I lost a 327 the exact same way - only I was not so far from home. I was driving home from the dragstrip and I heard a pop, followed by low whirring sound and a large plume of white smoke out the exhaust. I tried adding water and it ate a couple gallons withought filling the radiator. In my case the valve head broke off because of severe wear to the valve guide. This was allowing the valve to close at an angle putting extra stress on the valve stem. It broke at the base of the valve stem. I blamed it on too many RPMs during drag racing. I lost a block, a head, a piston, a valve and a connecting rod.

The 327 was in my Trans Am, so I did not lose any numbers matching parts. However, I spent a lot of time porting another head to replace the one that had holes in it and the block was scrapped.

My wife was following me and she freaked out when the car appeared to go up in smoke.

This was the first and only time in the 14 years I have owned it that it needed to be towed home.

Rick,

Again, I am so sorry about your misfortune. I hope you get it all back together. Next year's Cruisefest will be here before you know it, and we're expecting you to be there :D

Tammy

Wow must be an epidemic. I have a 78 coming in Monday with the exact same type scenario happened to it just before winter. Hafta see how bad this one is.

:beer

Based on dished 4-valve pocket pistons, looks like your 72's motor is an L-48. It probably has 487 heads ... getting a decent head in correct date range is definately possible. Late last year I bought a right decent pair of em for a 71 ... paid $100. If the car is otherwise quite original ... do try and find a head & sleeve the block ... it'll be worthwhile. What I wanna know is how in the heck does a guy with that much crap happening to him find the wherewithal to take pics ... not me! Sorry for your troubles. G'luck
JACK:gap

Actually-I have 993 heads. Full weekend-motor is ready to pull. Wagon is nearly there. Thanks to all for your support.

Yes, I want to save this engine. The car is Targa Blue-with special ordered Red vinyl interior. I have the build sheet, window sticker and P-O-P. I know the original engine adds value to the car-as if I wanted to sell it (not!).

Really looking forward to getting this thumpin' 383 in there. Drove the wagon yesterday-man, it runs so good. Breaks my heart to take apart a perfectly running car. :cry

But, we have a plan-and we'll get there! ;)

Rick

OK, I'll stop whining for a day or two about my

twice blown head gaskets then!

(Although there is an ominous noise persistent for the last thousand miles the vette shop didn't think was bad from around #2 or #4....)

Sorry guy - good luck on the salvaging. Post how much the sleeving of that regular iron block ran you in case I choose to sleeve this silly 400 one day.

Well, you'll have to be patient. I will "mothball" this engine for quite some time. I don't see me taking it to a machine shop for assessment/repair until sometime next year. Since I have no incentive to sell the car, I won't be in any hurry to rebuild/refresh the original motor-assuming it can be salvaged. Had a fellow look at it last night, he thought it can be saved. :)

Got the hoods off both the wagon and the 'Vette last night, the 'Vette engine is all ready to pull, the wagon is close, still have the bottom work to do (engine mounts, trans. bolts, converter, etc. Whew.

You all have a great day.

Rick

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom