Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C4 U joint replacement

JimBobC4

Corvette
1995 Dark Red 6spd Convertible
I spent the last weekend making trips through the Tennessee mountains, and made one really "spirited" trip down the dragons tale ( US 129 )

Afterword, I started getting the tell tale clicking noise from the back axles.

I think its time for the U joints to be replaced :ugh

I've done a search here and have checked several post,

my question is this :

What is the best set of U joints I can put in my 1995 6 speed ? ;shrug

I don't want to ever tackle it again so I will spend the money on the good ones, I just need to know what the good ones are !

Yup what he said! Those are the ones I installed after my run down the "Dragon" (because mine started doing the same thing as yours).

does solid mean no grease fitting ?

while your at it give you yokes a wiggle that come out of the 3rd member . the bearing has a tendancy to go also .

while your at it give you yokes a wiggle that come out of the 3rd member . the bearing has a tendancy to go also .

so your saying the pinion shaft bearing could have issues ?

so your saying the pinion shaft bearing could have issues ?
No,He's talking about the output yolks.If you don't have any major leakage your probly alright,but try to wiggle them anyway!!:thumb :thumb

No,He's talking about the output yolks.If you don't have any major leakage your probly alright,but try to wiggle them anyway!!:thumb :thumb

ok thanks. I'm going to try and tackle the u joint replacement this weekend.

Any other wearable items to check or replace while I'm under there ?

Are the tranny mounts on the C4 fairly robust ?

My control arm bushings were starting to crack and show some wear, so I replaced those while I had the control arms off.

Do the half shafts and the driveshafts use the same U joint ? Do I just purchase six of the same item ?

I cant find a specific listing for the driveshaft. ;shrug

Also has anyone heard of or used a set of Lakewoods ? they seem to be about twice the price ( 45.00 ) and are billed as " high performance" joints.

Do the half shafts and the drive shafts use the same U joint ? Do I just purchase six of the same item ?

I cant find a specific listing for the drive shaft. ;shrug

Also has anyone heard of or used a set of Lakewood's ? they seem to be about twice the price ( 45.00 ) and are billed as " high performance" joints.

The Spicers will work just fine!! I don't know if the Lakewood's are any better or not!! I've broke Yolks,Axel Shafts,Ring Gears,Pinion Gears,Posi-Units,U-Bolts,Differential Housings,Transmission Tail Shaft Housings and Twisted Drive Shafts but never have broke a U-Joint!! :D:D:D

your right.

thanks for the sanity check. :thumb

no need for the 700 hp u joints with a 300 hp motor. :w

oh buy the way your tranny mount is that big long aluminum beam thats connected to the rear end and tranny . i guess that would be faily beefy:thumb

oh buy the way your tranny mount is that big long aluminum beam thats connected to the rear end and tranny . i guess that would be faily beefy:thumb

No soft mount at all ? I can't believe the engine is mounted in rubber and the tranny has no rubber or poly vibration damper.

Do the half shafts and the driveshafts use the same U joint ? Do I just purchase six of the same item ?

quote]

The drive shaft uses a different part number than the half shafts. I got mine through Summit Racing.

quote]

The drive shaft uses a different part number than the half shafts. I got mine through Summit Racing.

Halfshafts are Spicer 1350 series / driveshaft are 1310 series.
As regards the driveline ,the engine is rubber mounted and the rear (batwing) is rubber mounted therefore all the driveline is rubber isolated from chassis.

thanks everyone for the info. :w

A 6sp may wear out the drive shaft u-joints. but...
the 200k mile u-joints I took out of my 87 automatic looked like new. If it hadn't been such a pain to get the drive shaft in and out they might have went back in. (I managed to get it out without taking the exhaust of c-beam apart)
Like it's been mentioned, the trans and diff are solid mounted so the drive shaft doesn't move around giving the u-joints a reason to wear.
In 15 years I've replaced half-shaft u-joints twice.
Only use the solid u-joints because you can't grease them anyway. Repack them with all the synthetic grease you can get in them when you put them in.
It's about a 6 or 7/10 job. Look at the articles people have posted.

JS

driveline ujoint

A 6sp may wear out the drive shaft u-joints. but...
the 200k mile u-joints I took out of my 87 automatic looked like new. If it hadn't been such a pain to get the drive shaft in and out they might have went back in. (I managed to get it out without taking the exhaust of c-beam apart)
Like it's been mentioned, the trans and diff are solid mounted so the drive shaft doesn't move around giving the u-joints a reason to wear.
In 15 years I've replaced half-shaft u-joints twice.
Only use the solid u-joints because you can't grease them anyway. Repack them with all the synthetic grease you can get in them when you put them in.
It's about a 6 or 7/10 job. Look at the articles people have posted.

JS
So, since you replaced the ujoints on the driveline WITHOUT removing the c-beam or exhaust, if you had to do it again, would you remove these items? Or just go ahead and do it the same way? I am going to change mine on an '84. What would you suggest at this point?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom