Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C4's price's dropping!!!!!!!!!!!!

Location, location, location!

Hi

That is one of the most important things in determining the value of a vette. Every region has a Menheim Auction center, which auctions off cars that banks have leased and now coming off lease and dealerships that take in trades that they do not want on their lots not because of nothing else but they don't carry the make.

It is also great for used car lots and other new car dealers like a Chevy dealership looking for a chevy to put on his lot. The used car market is as or more profitable then selling new cars.

Anyway after a biweekly auction a booklet is sent to all licensed dealers who are members to give them a guide of the cars that went through the auction listing model, options and condition following up with the price it went off at.

Even though there are regions where a model can be picked up cheap, most dealers stay local because they know most of the dealers and most of them are honest and have steller reputations. If you pick up a vehicle and it's a lemon 99% of the time they take it back. Yes there is honor among the dealers.

This Spring will be exciting to see what happens to the C4's and the C5's after the C6 hit the roads.

Alan

well i do not own a vette. im planning on purchasing a tpi not too long from now, but im curious about something...what kinda of 85-88 vette would i be getting for about 6500-7000 bucks. im selling my truck and am expecting a smidge over this for it. im a big fan of these vehicles and realizing it is possible to own one.

a picture of my truck just for the heck of it. i built it to show off, but im ready for a real machine, my dream car, a c4
DSCF0301.jpg

Nice looking Stepside Shortbed !

Matt said:
well i do not own a vette. im planning on purchasing a tpi not too long from now, but im curious about something...what kinda of 85-88 vette would i be getting for about 6500-7000 bucks. im selling my truck and am expecting a smidge over this for it. im a big fan of these vehicles and realizing it is possible to own one.

a picture of my truck just for the heck of it. i built it to show off, but im ready for a real machine, my dream car, a c4
Welcome to the :CAC

1 of the best price barometer for corvette I've used is watching Corvette's on e-bay.

Keep us posted on what Corvette you end up with. :upthumbs

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter

Tread slowly!!!!!!!

Hi Matt

Being that you live in Texas you should have a good shot on getting a lot of bang for your buck.

For $7000 you should get a decent vette that needs a little love and care. I would only by it from a private party that owned it for a while and garaged it. Seeing the owner and where he kept it says everything. But you still must pull a car-fax and even have it checked out. You must also look past the cosmetics both inside and out to a degree that you can live with.

As far as mileage, it really doesn't matter as long as it's check out and it passes.

The interior is not cheap to replace but you can get inexpensive seat covers unless it has sport seats. The weatherstripping is expensive, the digital dash can crap out which is not cheap. So please make sure who ever goes with you knows what to look for.

Try to lean toward the latest model available because every year they were getting better and better.

I'm sure that no matter what year you wind up with, you will love. The only unknown is what is out there.

As far as E-bay is concerned, yes it can give you and idea but the values within the same year can be vast depending on many factors. Most people that put things on E-bay do so after trying to sell theirs locally without any success.

If l would put my vette up for sale it would be gone in one day by my fellow club members or friends.

Again you must pull a car-fax and when you do, do not let that person know about it so that when you question him you can see if he is telling you the truth.

One last thing what you should do after you find a vette that you like is to see how much that same year goes for in excellent condition as a guide.

Good luck

Alan

p.s. If you see anything and have a question come back here and we will help you.

Good price!!!!!!!!!!!

Sixshooter

I really didn't read the fine print but it seemed to have been a track car and most track cars are not suitable for the road. Not to mention that it is probably gutted inside.

Now, if you have the bread to keep it for a track car only then it's a good buy.

Or if you own a bodyshop and speed shop you can come out. This vette was sold by a dealer and l'm sure he knew what he was doing.

kingman said:
Hi

The best of the best for the C4's is the CE, LT4 Convert period. It will hold it's value more then any other C4 out of Bowling Green. This is of course not counting the ZR-1.

You can take the 93 Anniv models and 96 CE models with the LT1 engines and lump them with their respective years in value.

In my local paper there is a 96 GS with 47,000 miles looking to get $27,000+, now it's a stunning machine but if he had around 15,000 miles he could probably fetch maybe $20,000 at best because somebody had to have it. We know that for that kind of money we can pick up a 94 ZR-1 with less miles or better yet a C5 coupe or convert.

If sellers were more realistic they would be able to sell their vettes a lot faster, but l guess that they feel a sucker is born every day.

Second best C4 is the 96 LT4 because it's the best bang for the buck and will hold it's value a lot longer.

I know if l had a LT4 engine under my hood l wouldn't be looking for a C5.

Alan

I think a Grand Sport might out do the Collector's Edition in value and in retaining that value. The Black book shows that only 1000 Grand Sport Convertibles were made while there were 5412 Collector's Edition cars made. There were 4369 base convertibles, which includes both LT1 and LT4). Unfortunately, the book does not show how many LT4 convertibles were made. So from a perspective of rarity, the best would be the Grand Sport Convertible (all were LT4), next would be a convertible with an LT4, and then the rest.

The '96 had many improvements over the previous C4s. Perhaps getting ready for the C5. For example, the on board computer was much more sophisticated and complex, with 140 diagnostic codes compared to previous C4s having only 60.

One comment about the ZR-1, which ended in '95. I have read that repairs can be difficult and expensive because the engine is unique and parts can be a problem as well as finding someone who knows how to work on it. ZR-1 owners can comment on the truth of this.

Roadster Guy said:
Me too and I agree.

And I agree with this too. I thought I was the only one with sports seats frustrated by this: quote by kingman.
"Why can't they come up with a cover for the C4 sport seats except for the Oalie's which are not cheap."

Seasons Greeting Everyone! :beer

I decided to replace the seats with new originals. It cost about $800 but it makes the car look almost new. The seats have the leather covering molded to the foam backing.

Matt
You will find that the mileage is more of a price factor then the year.....the lower the mileage the higher the price.... Try to find one that has all the maintence records as well.... As was stated before DO RUN A CAR-FAX on the vette before you purchace it...It's better to find it was in a severe accident befor it becomes you nightmare....
and remmember ALL THAT SHINES IS NOT GOLD.... the lower the numbers of previous owners the better as well,,,

I hope this helps
Mike

Gs versus Collector's Edition

Hi

There is no comparison even if the Collector had the LT4 engine in it. The GS sits by itself period.

And the only reason the Collector has any added value is if it had the LT4 engine in it or else it's only another 96 C4 with maybe an additional +$500.

It seems that they produced as many Collector's as regular C4's.

And for some strange reason l have only seen the silver Collector's Edition, did they offer any other colors?

Alan

ZR-1 Engine Repairs!

If my memory serves me the engine was built by Mercruiser Marine and if anybody ever had a boat you would know that it is mucho expensive to repair.

But it's an excellent engine when it's running right and quite durable.

Alan

GS's were the Top Dogs in 96!

kingman said:
Hi

There is no comparison even if the Collector had the LT4 engine in it. The GS sits by itself period.

And the only reason the Collector has any added value is if it had the LT4 engine in it or else it's only another 96 C4 with maybe an additional +$500.

And for some strange reason l have only seen the silver Collector's Edition, did they offer any other colors?

Alan
No - that was the only CE color.

Low mile GS's are holding prices better than almost any C4, heck there were only 1000 of them made!

It almost goes without saying, the 94 & 95 ZR-1's command a very respectable price also.

Trying to answer replies!

If l had a LT4 convert l would go out if needed and replace anything because that model warrants it. A regular C4 and Collector's Edition with LT1 engine doesn't makes sense form and economic standpoint unless you just love it too death and plan on keeping it for a while.

Again as far as real values of an individual vette is like putting a price tag on a pet. Each one stands on it's own merit. I have seen 93 Lt1's that were in the perfect color combo with no miles, better then when it was first del.

There is no book to go to check it's value. The book might say $13,000, but l would have paid a lot more without even thinking because to me it was perfect.

While l was looking for vette l came across a silver Collectors Edition in great condition, but l was determined to get a red vette.

Alan

Collector Editions were not just special paint!!

kingman said:
Hi

Alan

Hold on. Let's get something clear here. You will not see another color Colector Edition other than Sebring Silver.The Collector Edition was not just silver paint!!!! It was a $1250 option package that included the Sebring silver metallic paint, 17" 5 spoke ZR-1 style wheels painted silver, with 255/45ZR17 front and 285/40ZR17 rear tires, black brake calipers with silver Corvette lettering, perforated "sport seats" with Collector Edition embroidered on the head rests along with side, hood and rear deck Collector Edition emblems. Keep in mind that sport seats alone were a $625 option. You could choose black, light grey or red interior.

And only 25.13 % (5412) of 1996 C4 production were Collector Editions and they were all Sebring silver because that was the package.

I think Colector Editions bring much more than $500. It was a really neat package. If you check out Corvette Magazine's C4 market articles you will see that they always mention the Collector Edition as an added value. Collector Edition models, especially with the LT4 sell quickly around here and at quite a notch above other 96's.

By the way, if they made 5412 Collector Editions and 20% of 1996 production was convertibles then you can assume that there are about 1082 Collector Edition convertibles around. And if 30% of all 1996 production were LT4's then you could maybe reason that there are about 325 LT4 Collector Edition convertibles out there. As you get into adding other options then the numbers drop again.

Someone mentioned earlier that the 1996 C4 had much better on board diagnostics--140 compared to 60 in 95....true.... which was a big plus for the 96. Also, the F-45 suspension system was what was arriving on the C-5, and quite different than the previous FX3. The 96 also had the bigger size ZR-1 brake package...so did the 95.

Anyway, it is important to note that the Collector Edition was a package.
RG

Facts are Facts!

The only way that l can judge the prices is through dealer auctions and not private or dealer sales. Keep in mind that every vette really stands on it's own as far as condition, miles and options.

To you and l all of this can be thrown in the garbage. I bought my 96 through a private sale because l wanted to see who had it before me. This cost me some bucks but to me it was worht it.

On auction the difference between a Collector's with the LT1 engine and a regular C4, both of course being a 96 is really very close unless the regular C4 is the same color. Both being coupes and auto!

The big difference comes with a convert and then the LT4 engine and when you combine the two it really jumps up.

Also you find that Chevy dealers will buy for their used car lots and pay a little more then a regular used car dealer. A specialty dealer that only handles vettes will also pay more then the average bear.

Today the best colors for a vette for resale is Torch red, competition yellow, black, silver, white and the rest ??????????. I also like the med blue, l forgot the name, but it's my opinion and my opinion only!

Besides the GS the Collector's convert with the LT4 engine is second and don't think that all the extras mean much to the average joe. To you and l it means something so relax and enjoy your machine.

I made a mistake by buying the LT1 engine because l wasn't thinking right and didn't dive into it any further then my nose.

Alan

kingman said:
On auction the difference between a Collector's with the LT1 engine and a regular C4, both of course being a 96 is really very close unless the regular C4 is the same color. Both being coupes and auto!

Alan

This was a good thread. Small point, but the regular C4 could not be the same color because if it was then it would be a Collectors Edition. In 96 if you wanted silver, then you ordered the Collector Edition package...only way it came.

I ended up with my LT4 because I only wanted a manual in my Vettes...and I wanted a 96....personal preference that's all...and in 96 if you wanted a manual then you got an LT4 as all LT1's were auto and all LT4's were 6 speed.

But I do agree. I also bought mine privately so I knew its history. And driving is enjoying. I am only aware of my Vette's possible resale value because when I purchased it a few years ago I had to investigate and weigh up the price being asked against the car's features, mileage, condition and availablility. Same thing a buyer will do with me one day if I sell.

And the LT1...it's a great engine. When I was looking for mine I test drove a beuatiful absolutely mint low mileage 94 triple black vert 6 speed with ZR-1 five spoke wheels on it and I loved that car. I can't imagine not being happy prowling around in that thing. It looked good and drove great. I thought about it too long and like most good things someone snapped it up. I was quite happy to go LT1 and 6 speed. Ok, I just love my LT4 now I have one, but at the time..........

Oh yeah, the Grand Sport...I agree again...most special...don't see those often. ZR1's....also very cool.
RG

Talked to a GM mechanic in California about his GS with 44k. $18,000. I was too slow. #071 resold in Texas for $25,000. It's hard to talk about C4 prices because they are worth whatever somebody will pay. People are paying a little less right now than just a year ago. Dropping prices are a windfall for purchasers, and many will buy another or their first C4.

That being known I think I'll go blast down the road in my crappy LT-1 (Kingman) with low options in my rapidly depreciating car and love every damn minute of it. Come on, if you want to just make money buy a SWC '63 and keep it in one of those bubbles. C4 is the driving classic model. Every mile is money well spent to me.

tlong said:
. . . I think I'll go blast down the road in my crappy LT-1 . . .
I don't think LT-1's were crappy engines, they set the standard in Their Day!

Just my humble .02 cents worth. :v

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter

I don't think the implication is that the LT-1 is crappy. I beleive the thread topic was discussing C4 value. The LT-1 was a base engine compared to an optional LT-4. Which places value on the LT-4. I have an LT-1 and I'm very happy with it. Would I sell it for an LT-4? Not at this point. The car is too beautifull to part with, but I would love to have an LT-4 as well.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom