Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C4's price's dropping!!!!!!!!!!!!

Living near a refinery, or even working in one, won't get you any break on the cost of gasoline. We have near three or four major refineries in Southern California and the price is still well above two dollars a gallon. I worked for Chevron in their El Segundo refinery, not five miles from me, and paid just as much as the next guy. Oh wait, they did give us, as employees, a nickle per gallon discount. :L

I'm in northwest Jersey, and there are a Gulf station and an indie both @ 1.78 per gallon regular. Depends a bit on competition too, I would imagine.

Price's are regulated in NJ??????????

Don't believe it, there are strict limits on how much a gallon of gas can be sold for but they only have 6 people to enforce it.

And if it was enforced they would have to have the I.N.S. come in to collect all of the illegal aliens. And we have no place to put them and would cost too much money.

Anyway we are too far off the original topic.

Did you also notice that all of the catalogs do not offer as much goodies for the C4's as the C5's. Or better yet not offer as many new items just the same stuff they have been offerring for years.

Why can't they come up with a cover for the C4 sport seats except for the Oalie's which are not cheap.

Alan

p.s. This is another reason the C4 will drop further but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. But l don't see it yet!

Up here in Manchester NH Regular Unleaded is 1.72 at the Cumby's Exxon on the main drag.

:beer

Cars as Investment

I have been reading this thread and admit that I am in the same boat as others. I bought a beautiful LT4 car 2 years ago and realize that I would probably lose about 5k if I sold now. On the other hand, how much do you lose driving any NEW car out of the sales lot?? And my old Firebird has more than doubled in value from what I paid. As far as the stock market and other investments... I am up and down there too. So.... look at the whole picture. If someone is expecting that buying corvettes is going to be a major part of their financial future... think again.
Best to all

I bought a beautiful LT4 car 2 years ago

Ditto.

I got the car I dreamed about for decades and I got a performance car in excellent condition for about 1/2 the new price ( a price that I don't want to afford). I don't look at the money I've lost since I bought it, I see the money I saved by waiting for the right car.

See ya!
Chetzki

garlt4 said:
I have been reading this thread and admit that I am in the same boat as others. I bought a beautiful LT4 car 2 years ago and realize that I would probably lose about 5k if I sold now. On the other hand, how much do you lose driving any NEW car out of the sales lot?? And my old Firebird has more than doubled in value from what I paid. As far as the stock market and other investments... I am up and down there too. So.... look at the whole picture. If someone is expecting that buying corvettes is going to be a major part of their financial future... think again.
Best to all
Me too and I agree.

And I agree with this too. I thought I was the only one with sports seats frustrated by this: quote by kingman.
"Why can't they come up with a cover for the C4 sport seats except for the Oalie's which are not cheap."

Seasons Greeting Everyone! :beer

Bullit proof combo!

Hi

The best of the best for the C4's is the CE, LT4 Convert period. It will hold it's value more then any other C4 out of Bowling Green. This is of course not counting the ZR-1.

You can take the 93 Anniv models and 96 CE models with the LT1 engines and lump them with their respective years in value.

In my local paper there is a 96 GS with 47,000 miles looking to get $27,000+, now it's a stunning machine but if he had around 15,000 miles he could probably fetch maybe $20,000 at best because somebody had to have it. We know that for that kind of money we can pick up a 94 ZR-1 with less miles or better yet a C5 coupe or convert.

If sellers were more realistic they would be able to sell their vettes a lot faster, but l guess that they feel a sucker is born every day.

Second best C4 is the 96 LT4 because it's the best bang for the buck and will hold it's value a lot longer.

I know if l had a LT4 engine under my hood l wouldn't be looking for a C5.

Alan

Maybe some people ask for a high price because they don't really want to sell but they did try, maybe to appease the significant other who thinks that a 2 seater would be impractical? :L

Who cares my 96 lt4 hauls and is very fun to drive it reminds me of my sixties muscle car but stops and handles a 100 times better! Peace Kevin.

kingman said:
Hi
Not to change the topic but if you invested your money in the stock market you would probably would have lost a good chunk of it. Everything looks good on paper and that's all it's worth, paper.
If you had stocks when the market dropped like a rock and still had it when the market recovered you would probably be only 26% better then at it's low.
Alan
True - but only for the past 4-5 years. I was talking a PRUDENT, MODERATE RISK investment for the long term - like 20-30 years. Sure someone who invested heavily, especially in the tech stocks in the 90's either got filthy rich or more likely, lost a major portion of their original investment.
Your comment that "Everything looks good on paper and that's all it's worth" is a very sour view and is not justified by fact. You must have gotten burned on an investment or are just plain uninformed. The DOW first reached 4000 back when Clinton was president in 1995. Even after the recent market correction, it has risen to over 2 1/2 times that.
My point was, as several others have stated, you should buy a Corvette because you like the car and like the way it makes you feel when you drive it. You should not buy a Corvette because you intend to treat it as an investment with the intention to profit from its sale for early retirement.
A few cars may be good investments. Some of the cars that we now own might appreciate enough over time to make a profit but, by the time that happens, inflation will have negated any real gain and some of us will be too old to even have a drivers license.
Terry

Kevin Doyle said:
Who cares my 96 lt4 hauls and is very fun to drive it reminds me of my sixties muscle car but stops and handles a 100 times better! Peace Kevin.
Ditto's on the LT4

Investments????????????

The only stocks that l have are in my pension plan and they are doing OK nothing great.

Most of my pocket change is in real estate and l don't have to tell you how l'm doing!

But who cares, we are here to discuss vettes!

A vette is not an investment all it is is an ice cream cone. You enjoy as it goes down and when you are finished you just move on to something else.

Most of the cars that are "garage queens" belong to small segment of vette lovers who need a life to start with. That is unless they really do not have the time or it's one of many cars they own.

In my humble opinion, the only C4 that will ever appreciate will be the ZR-1,
because of their performance and limited numbers. The rest will wind up as a kid's introduction to a vette, which isn't so bad. You have to start someplace!

The years that will never recover in my opinion will be the 84 thru 91, again not including the ZR-1's, Calloway's and such.

When you think of so many cars out there with 300hp and up the earliar vettes will be like touring cars and not performance cars as we have known.

The C6 and now the 06-Z06 will bring the honor of the vette back at least for the moment.

I can see some guy at a car show a few decades from now looking at my cherry C4 and he bends over to look at that cross-fire injection and asks, "What the Heck is that!!??" And I will proudly tell him that only the 82 and 84 Corvette models had cross-fire and that it is so rare that he may never ever see one again in his miserable lifetime.....but if he wants to be respected by his peers for having possibly the only cross-fire still in existence.....I will gladly sell him this one for around $200,000.00.

Ahhhhh this C4 is my ticket to retirement.......eat your hearts out guys!!

:L[/QUOTE]

To get that kind of money, you must be 12 and planning to live to 100. I'm sure you're exagerating ;). I have an '82 CE with the CrossFire. I just love the car and I don't expect that I will ever keep it long enough to make a fortune off of it. I own 3 Vettes and my love for the Vette has nothing to do with it's value, but for the car itself. If I could afford it, I would own 1 for every year made or as many as I could because each car offers it's own value of driving pleasure.

Save the Wave!

Love them all!

There wasn't a bad year as far as l'm concerned, there were only some different years. All of us look for different things at different times.

My 76 in todays terms was a crude vette, but l loved it at that time and thought it was quick. I didn't even care that it was a little hot inside. Compared with my old 68 this was heaven. Wasn't as fast but boy was it refined compared to the 68.

And compared to my 64, it was a lux boat like a mercedes. Things change, times change except that old love for what we once had will always be there.

If l ever comment on the negative side of any year vette it's because l sometimes forget all the enjoyment the older vettes brought me.

I hate to see the prices dropping and l know in the Spring they will rebound some but what we need is a little sun and the temps starting to climb back into the 70's.

Alan

P.s. The days are now getting longer.

"The best of the best for the C4's is the CE, LT4 Convert period. It will hold it's value more then any other C4 out of Bowling Green. This is of course not counting the ZR-1."

Ok, I won't argue with that Alan.;) But what I find really "best" are times like this combo moment from a day gone by late this fall..............top down, brilliant red maple leaves a blur above, the wind in my hair, the chirp form the rear rubber on the 2nd to 3rd shift and the kid who stopped playing road hockey with his friends to yell, "Hey check out that cool car....awesome, it's a Corvette!!!" :upthumbs

My Vette sleeps, waxed, fluids changed and ready under its cover with a full tank of 94 Sunoco..........

84 days to spring and counting..........

Roadster Guy said:
"The best of the best for the C4's is the CE, LT4 Convert period. It will hold it's value more then any other C4 out of Bowling Green. This is of course not counting the ZR-1."

Ok, I won't argue with that Alan.;) But what I find really "best" are times like this combo moment from a day gone by late this fall..............top down, brilliant red maple leaves a blur above, the wind in my hair, the chirp form the rear rubber on the 2nd to 3rd shift and the kid who stopped playing road hockey with his friends to yell, "Hey check out that cool car....awesome, it's a Corvette!!!" :upthumbs

My Vette sleeps, waxed, fluids changed and ready under its cover with a full tank of 94 Sunoco..........

Well said... Well said.......

Roadster Guy said:

I agree

This thread started out talking about the price of C-4 dropping, but I seem to have noticed that we now are discussing if the corvette is an investment or obssesion? I guess after reading all the thread I thought I would give my .02 cents worth. I bought my vette for the best price I could because I wanted it like most of you. It's 15 years old, I' am 59 and figured I have lived all my wanting this vette, sell it never, but if a person came along and offered me or any of us what we wanted we would sell, but until that happens I will enjoy driving it and listening to everyone talk about the value either falling or rising. Here in Indiana you don't find that many vettes for sale, now I have noticed that if you look at Tx, Fl or the warmer states you will find them and the price is lower but in states where they are scarce just the opposite, that is called supply and demand, economics 101. Continue with the discussion gentleman, I enjoy it. ;LOL

Oh yeah, the warmer states have more. They can even drive them year round unlike us Northern states that have to deal with snow and salt. But the southern states Vette's probably have more mileage and the sun can take a toll on such things like weatherstripping.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom