Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C4's price's dropping!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Chickenjerk"

Chickenjerk said:
I don't think the implication is that the LT-1 is crappy. I beleive the thread topic was discussing C4 value. The LT-1 was a base engine compared to an optional LT-4. Which places value on the LT-4. I have an LT-1 and I'm very happy with it. Would I sell it for an LT-4? Not at this point. The car is too beautifull to part with, but I would love to have an LT-4 as well.
Sorry but I've got to ask, what's the story behind Chickenjerk? ;shrug

(Shooter) I wondered how long it would take before someone would ask. There is no story really. Chickenjerk was a name that my fellow co-workers used to call eachother when we were not working up to our full potential (slacking). It was all in good fun. When I was searching for a screen name, it was obviously one that was not already being used. Imagine that!

Now that I'm self-employed, I miss all my chickenjerk commrads. That's the story, if you want to call it that.

BTW - Nice yellow vert!

John

Yes the C4 is dropping but I rather buy a C4 than a RX7 look alike (C5). The C6 looks great and it is the reason why C4s prices are dropping. I do not make a lot of money but, I'll owe a 96 Grand Sport.

Is CJ ok for your Nick Name?

Chickenjerk said:
(Shooter) I wondered how long it would take before someone would ask. There is no story really. Chickenjerk was a name that my fellow co-workers used to call eachother when we were not working up to our full potential (slacking). It was all in good fun. When I was searching for a screen name, it was obviously one that was not already being used. Imagine that!

Now that I'm self-employed, I miss all my chickenjerk commrads. That's the story, if you want to call it that.

BTW - Nice yellow vert!

John
Thanks for the compliment . . . we really enjoy our MY Roadster.

Why did all 96 LT1's have autos? Why didn't they have the 6 speed in the 96 LT1's?

"why did all 96 LT1's have autos"

What was reported at the time by a couple of automotive pubs. [don't remember which ones anymore] was that GM didn't want to do certification for short 96 model year run with the approaching C-5. I had ordered a new CE/LT4 but ran into some problems with order when tried a couple of special numbers and it became to close to end of run to reorder.When my friends came in was really impressed with extra pull of LT4 on top end.;) Ike

LT1's????????????

Nobody is knocking the base engine because it is more then a base engine. The LT4 happens to be a more powerfull engine period.

I realy do not have a need for more horsepower but all l am bringing out is if you have a choice the LT1 takes the cake.

Alan

C-4 Now said:
"why did all 96 LT1's have autos"

What was reported at the time by a couple of automotive pubs. [don't remember which ones anymore] was that GM didn't want to do certification for short 96 model year run with the approaching C-5.

One was Vette magazine in Oct of 95. They said more or less what you said that it was cheaper for GM to satisfy the EPA with 2 engine/drivetrain combos versus 4 combos.

When I bought my 67 new I was realy excited but then the 68 came out and everyone told me that I should get a new one.......Well I kept the old 67 and yes it is out of date but guess who is laughing now?It just goes to show you that, if you like what you got, it doesn't make any differance what you are driving......the C6 will come and not long from then the C7 will show up......I can't wait to see the new C10.....I bet it will be awsome to say the leaste.......Altho they make a C10 in a truck....What then???

Just a thought
Mike

A vette is like fine wine!

Your 67 ws the best of the C2's period. When l was involved in SCCA racing we had a 67 coupe with the 327/350 engine and swapped the engine for a l believe 69 350/350 and brought it to Daytona to only loss it (accident). Nobody really cared except for the loss of money. It was a total, it flipped on the back straight. We salvaged only abput $1500 out of it.

There was nothing special about the 68,69 except they were ovens, the 70-72 were neat and then nothing until 84. Then 85, then 86, then 87, up until the 96 and then the C1's and the C2's went through the roof. During the C5 run the C1's and C2's went crazy even further.

Alan

p.s. I lost my total trend of thought and l'm going to sleep.

This weeks auction!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well it's a new year an there will be up to 12,000 cars going through 21 lanes this thursday. This should be the start of the rise of price's for the C4's and C5's if it happens. It is said that most dealers wait until the second thursday of Feb to bring them out.

The bulk of the C5's coming through should be leased returns with very few C4's showing up unless they a CE, GS (never saw one) or a specialty number. Most of the specialty vettes are snapped up before and after the sale. To complicated to explain here.

My prediction is for the C5's to start an early rebound based on the lackluster C6's and as far as the C4's??? On a serious note the C4's should end their slide also but only time will tell.

I explained my feelings of the C6 on the C6 forum, good reading.
Alan

Read the C6 forum for more detail!

Hi

Please read under C6 "How many years will the C6 run", this will give you a further feeling what is going to happen with the values of the C5 and then directly spill over to the C4.

Never forget that the C4 was the last of the true vette sportcars. Starting with the C5 it entered the lux sportscar field where it didn't belong as far as build not performance.

I am not knocking any vette myself, l love them all, but some more then others and respect everyone for their own level of taste. This is just for the sake of discussion only.

Alan

Alan,

Yeah, I think we saw more "status buyers" for the C5 than any other Corvette. Just think about the decline of the wave. Who was complained about the most? C5's! The C5's became too "mainstream."

But I think those status buyers will be going for C6's while some people like me will try for a C5.

I bought an all original, pristine '93 coupe/6 speed with only 9K miles on it for $18K last spring. It drives like new with no squeaks or rattles. I've previously owned a C5 and a
C6. This '93 is just as much fun to drive and insurance is much lower. 300hp is plenty in real world situations. There are some great deals on low mileage '93-'96 Vettes. They were the best of that generation.

Dealer Vs. Private

Seems like a big price spread on comparable cars if it is at a dealer or PP. Not in all cases but most. I still see C-4's for sale at dealers that were for sale last summer. There are also a fair share of "dreamers" out there with C-4's that think thier car is $20K plus because it is a 1 of xxxx with certain paint and RPO codes blah blah blah. If they get it great for them but they may wait a while. (plus I love it when people say "well I have $xx,xxx into it so I have to sell it for at least that". I say, "who cares".)

I picked up my 93 in August 54K miles, Convertable, 40th package, and 2 sets of wheels /tires and I felt it was an ok deal considering I saw a few of the same cars at shows for $6-$7K MORE than what I bought mine for, and I still see ones listed that high. (that is why they are for sale). I feel I should have waited but oh well.

Auto trader has a few C-4s under $4 and $5K, early one 84's to 87's/88's. I am sure there are also people that "need" to sell due to the economy (more sellers than buyers).

It is not just vettes but all "cars that people really can live without" market it soft.

In the DFW area the C4's are selling for 6k and under. Been followi g them for awhile and are still decreasing in value, but as stated above the market is not there.

You can find both ends of the spectrum. Two years ago I bought a '93, a retired SCCA car for $14K. This year I bought a '93 for $7K. It 's just what you want to spend. Two years ago I probably spent more than I should have but I wanted the car. This year I spent alot less and still go the car I wanted.
tcxd40

The price of everything is lower, its all relative. Why would anybody want the prices to go up?;shrug

For Gods sake and Corvettes sake stop calling them C's they are Corvettes. C's were developed by some A#%$@ and it has to stop.
Bill

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom