Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C5 on jack stands

J

jtallen79

I'm going to refinish my clearcoat mag wheels this winter and have heard that having my vette up on jack stands for an extended period of time can somehow 'hurt' my suspension. Any truth to this? I have a set of jacking pucks and will be using the frame for lift and support.

100_0913.jpg

Hi John!

Good to see you here at CAC - and welcome !

This forum is much more easy going than some of the more populated forums. :D

I kicked around the idea that it might be harmful to "hang" the C5 suspension over the winters by putting a car up on the lift for storage - I talked this over with Ron A and Mark Grimm - neither thought it would be a problem.

Since the suspension is designed to hold the car off of the ground all the time, it seems to me that the mounting points of the suspension SHOULD be up to the task of supporting itself.....

I do not see any rubber components that would be squashed by hanging the suspension......so I say go for it.

BTW - I got the stuff for the Connie - two seals and two o-rings - $21.

best regards -

mqqn

it's not the suspension hanging that causes the problem, it is the weight of the car and how it hangs on the frame. As stated above, the suspension is designed to support the weight of the car, and the weight of the car is designed to be distributed to the suspension. if you put the car on jack stands, the weight of the car is being placed on a different part of the frame... The C5 has a great frame, but I am not sure if it would like having the weight hang from a different spot.

Support at Front and Rear Suspn. Cradle!! and it will be Fine!! :upthumbs junk!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom