Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C6 console/dash bezel removal

eboch

Corvette
2005 C6 Z51, 2003 C5 Z06, 1987 C4 conv
Hi;

Has anyone out there removed the main center bezel (it wraps around the nav and down around the shifter)?

Before I tackle this by trial & error .... any guidance tips on how it's held in & how it comes out? I'd like to get it out without breaking it.

Thanks.
eboch

managed to take this off yesterday. Amazing simple. The airbag-off lamp plate pops off to reveal 2 screws which are accessed from inside the open armrest enclosure. then the parking brake boot is popped out by lifting it straight up. Behind this there are 2 more screws which hold in the plastic trim plate that runs along the bezel on the passenger side. This plate can then be popped off by pulling it toward the rear of the car. Once thats done, the bezel litterally pops up and out. Connectors are all keyed and their designs are "user friendly" ... i.e. they can be extracted without breaking them.

Those of you that have done any dash work know how easy it can be to break the plastic panels..... but I managed to get this out, tok it apart, painted it, re-assembled and reinstalled without breaking a single thing.

eboch

Thanks for the explanation and results of your project. Too often we are kept hanging after we post answers!

What color did you use?

:upthumbs

SAVE THE :w

...yes I repainted the bezel. The local Corvette dealer could not tell me the color chip code for the silver bezel (... apparently they can only determine codes for things on the car that would be ordered in a specific color). I took the bezel to a local automotive paint specialty shop and they tried to match it. They came up with a standard GM interior color with code WGM. It is very close to the silver used on the 2005 bezel ... but I'd have to say that it was not an "exact" match. A casual observer would never notice.

eboch

I am going to be doing this very soon, instead of painting my stock console I bought used parts on ebay and will have a local shop paint them (I'll store my originals away somewhere). The GM kit is $400, I couldn't see spending that much for a little bit of plastic, so I got all the parts for $150, including the door button bezels, which for some reason no one will do in black. So I'm doing everything a gloss black to match my exterior. Will post pics after my install if anyone wants to see.

Ugolino;

Are you removing the dash trim piece around the main guage cluster? ... it includes the right and left button panels (for the HUD, DIC, etc) which have the silver trim paint coloring around them. If you do, can you share removal tips with the forum?

eboch

Ugolino;

Are you removing the dash trim piece around the main guage cluster? ... it includes the right and left button panels (for the HUD, DIC, etc) which have the silver trim paint coloring around them. If you do, can you share removal tips with the forum?

eboch

Yes, when the time comes I'll take pictures & document the changeover. I have to get the new pieces painted first!

I should have bought the pre-painted GM kit. I can't find anyone in Honolulu to paint my console. When I go to the body shop, they tell me to go to an auto upholsterer. When I go to an upholsterer, they tell me to go to a body shop.:confused

I don't want to do it myself, it'll look awful. So I'm going to resell the parts on ebay and keep my car stock. Oh well, live and learn.

Ugolino;

... painting it so that it looks 100% is not a problem provided the right paint & prep are used. I went to a professional auto paint supply store and got GM paint specifically desgined for plastic interior parts of GM cars. They put it in a spray can for me and provided me with the paint manufacturer's prep directions. Easy. Parts came out perfectly ... careful re-install insured that they got back into the car without damage.

Regards
eboch

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom