Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

? c6 GUAGES problem

rhandle

Corvette
1996 grand sport
HI ,I have an 07 C6 base coupe. My Alternator died on me and was towed to dealership . In addition to the alternator i told them to replace the battery since the one i had was a four yr old shitty autozone . Before i sent the car in a warning came up saying SERVICE CHARGING SYSTEM . The always very accurarate guages were reading 10 v .
They put a new battery and alternator . When i picked it up ,
both the digital and analog guages were reading between 12.2 and 12.8. The service writer told me that this is because the battery in new and the "alternator is not kicking in" because not necessary. What a load of shit . . With all accesories ,fan lights and defroster it reads 11.8 to 12 .1 . but at the battery withwithengine on it reads 13.4 . Engine off the battery reads 12,8.
My guages NEVER were this innaccurate . I thinl the numbers with the voltmeter were good post repair . Is there any explanation to what is going on with the guages. I have lost confidence in the car

HI ,I have an 07 C6 base coupe. My Alternator died on me and was towed to dealership . In addition to the alternator i told them to replace the battery since the one i had was a four yr old shitty autozone . Before i sent the car in a warning came up saying SERVICE CHARGING SYSTEM . The always very accurarate guages were reading 10 v .
They put a new battery and alternator . When i picked it up ,
both the digital and analog guages were reading between 12.2 and 12.8. The service writer told me that this is because the battery in new and the "alternator is not kicking in" because not necessary. What a load of shit . . With all accesories ,fan lights and defroster it reads 11.8 to 12 .1 . but at the battery withwithengine on it reads 13.4 . Engine off the battery reads 12,8.
My guages NEVER were this innaccurate . I thinl the numbers with the voltmeter were good post repair . Is there any explanation to what is going on with the guages. I have lost confidence in the car

Check the battery voltages at the battery clamps with a quality voltmeter, sometimes there can be a .5V-1V difference between the dash gauges and actual voltage. Check and see what your is.

If the wrong rated battery or a bad new battery (yes it can happen) was installed, incorrect voltages can be shown. Have the dealership prove the new battery is good with their carbon pile load tester, and then make sure that the battery meets or exceeds the minimum ratings for your vehicle. Your PCM controls voltage, so if it is really hot out and current demand is low the computer will keep the voltage low to minimize battery out gassing, which is why it is critical to have a known/proven good battery that is properly rated for your vehicle because that is what the PCM is assuming the vehicle has installed in it.

thanks ! any other possibilities?

If the wrong rated battery or a bad new battery (yes it can happen) was installed, incorrect voltages can be shown. Have the dealership prove the new battery is good with their carbon pile load tester, and then make sure that the battery meets or exceeds the minimum ratings for your vehicle. Your PCM controls voltage, so if it is really hot out and current demand is low the computer will keep the voltage low to minimize battery out gassing, which is why it is critical to have a known/proven good battery that is properly rated for your vehicle because that is what the PCM is assuming the vehicle has installed in it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks , that makes total sense . .they were trying to tell me that the corvette guages are not always accurate but my guages were 100% correct till Thet serviced it. IO dont feel good when i see 11.8 volts while driving around. The repair changed something. Beside the battery could a faulty diode or voltage regulator?

If the wrong rated battery or a bad new battery (yes it can happen) was installed, incorrect voltages can be shown. Have the dealership prove the new battery is good with their carbon pile load tester, and then make sure that the battery meets or exceeds the minimum ratings for your vehicle. Your PCM controls voltage, so if it is really hot out and current demand is low the computer will keep the voltage low to minimize battery out gassing, which is why it is critical to have a known/proven good battery that is properly rated for your vehicle because that is what the PCM is assuming the vehicle has installed in it.

Thanks , that makes total sense . .they were trying to tell me that the corvette guages are not always accurate but my guages were 100% correct till Thet serviced it. IO dont feel good when i see 11.8 volts while driving around. The repair changed something. Beside the battery could a faulty diode or voltage regulator?[/QUOTE]

Yes, it is possible that the alternator could be bad or even the incorrect alternator was installed.

Like LLC5 said, Take It Back. Was this a Chevy dealer you went to? If so who? Maybe we could give them some advertising!
I recently replaced my battery just "because it was getting old and I wanted an AGM." It was a new battery, NOT new old stock. It was dated only a month old and she popped right off with it. When I started the engine the voltmeter was reading over 14.5VDC on the gauge and on a voltmeter. Yes the C6 gauges are pretty accurate too.

If you can't get any satisfaction from the dealer, call your credit card company and file a grievance to get your money back. Threaten the dealer with it too, if it comes to that. After that if it still doesn't work call GM. The phone number is in the owners manual.

Good Luck.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom