Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C6 Manual Shifter Adjustment

eboch

Corvette
2005 C6 Z51, 2003 C5 Z06, 1987 C4 conv
Hi;

I recently changed the clutch in my '05 Z51 changed (to a Z06 clutch). As part of this, the shifter & linkage get partrially taken apart. This all worked out really well as far as the clutch is concerned. However, I now have a bit of trouble shifting into first (either at a stand still or slow roll)

It feels a bit like the linkage is blocking/binding or not quite "aligned". There is no noise or grinding. If I move the shifter across the center of the shift pattern, or engage another gear, it then usually allows me go into first afterward.

There is a shifter adjustment on the shifter base, can this have an effect on the shifter engagement/operation? if yes ... any tips on how to make these adjustments ... or any other possible shifter/linkage adjustments?

Does anyone know of any "wear" items in the linkage that might need replacement?

Thanks
eboch

Took the console apart and took the shifter out. The only place I could see any "adjustability" was in the attachment to the linkage ... there is a colar/clamp fitting to the rear of the shifter control box (pretty obvious when you look at it, it has a torx screw). This is the main connection between the shifter control box under the shifter and the linkage which runs to the transmission. In my case this fitting was loose and therefore the shifter was not rotating the linkage properly. Loosening this and moving the shifter you can see that different linkage shaft rotations can be acheived. It does not seem to have a lot of play when loose, but it does have some. Adjusting this a few times, I was able to get very smooth gear shifting and perfect "H" centering between 3rd and 4th. The "balance" here seemed to be to get the right amount of linkage rotation to catch 1st & 2nd .... as well as reverse on the other side of the shifter throw. Then check that the shifter also sits nicely between 3rd and 4th without any left-right pushing. I then checked the smoothness of the 2nd to 3rd transition. It took a 2 or 3 adjustment cycles to get it to a good place ... took 5 minutes.

I drove the car last night and again this morning. Shifting beautifully. probably smoother and more precise feeling that it ever did previously.

c4c5 ... are there any other shifter adjustment points to be aware of?

regards
eboch

PS: I see a lot of posts related to difficultied with 1st gear, clunky 2nd-3rd shifting, etc .... I wonder how many of these can be solved with this adjustment (?).

Virtually ALL shifting concerns can be traced back to a misadjusted shifter.
Did you push the PIN down before torquing the fasteners??? That is how it should be done.
Allthebest, c4c5

C4C5;

...you are referring to the "L" shaped pin at the front of the shifter control box ... correct?. Yes this has to be properly inserted to re-assemble the shifter onto the control box in the correct position .... but I did not see any adjustments associated with it. Did I miss something?

eboch

HI there,
Yes, the L shaped pin is for the actual adjustment to be perfect.
You place the car in neutral.
Loosen the 3 fasteners.
Push the PIN ALL THE WAY DOWN>
Torque all 3 fasteners, the clamp first.
Pull the pin back up and verify shifter operation.
Allthebest, c4c5

C4C5;

..yes I think I did this ... but more by chance than through planning (!). My shifter seems really well aligned now.

I focused more on the clamping collar to the rear of the shifter control box .... where the linkage to the transmission is connected. I found a lot of improvements in the shifting with very minor adjustments here. It seemed quite sensitive.

Regards
eboch

Virtually ALL shifting concerns can be traced back to a misadjusted shifter.

New here, but not new to the C6. Have an '05 Z51 MN6, also, and have a shifter question. I occasionally have trouble shifting into first after stopping, shifting into neutral (while waiting in traffic). On another forum, the common consensus seemed to be that this was due to the "robustness" of the gears in the MN6 tranny, and that GM's position was that if your problem occurred x% of the time, they would go into the tranny and replace a shim or some part that was better machined to ease this problem.

Your post, however, infers that I might just have an adjustment problem, which I would MUCH prefer over letting GM tear apart my tranny (and I have no desire to keep track of how often this happens).

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated!:)

I've also seen comments about the gear cogs not be chamfered, etc .... thus impacting how first gear engages. I cannot comment much on these possible "design" issues. .... I can only speak to my experience.

In my case, before I upgraded my clutch, I'd have into-1st shifting difficulty ~ 20% of the time ... particulalry at a standstill or slow roll. Running through another gear and then into 1st would usually allow the into-1st shift to happen.

After the clutch upgrade, into-1st shifting was noticably worse (...the subject of this thread). Sometimes I could not get it into 1st and had to launch in 2nd.

After I did the shifter adjustments, the into-1st shifting problem is 100% gone ... no work on the transmission gears, etc was done. In fact the whole operation of the shifting is just a lot crisper and much more "precise" feeling .... without any "odd" behavior. Additionally, the notorious 2-3 shift is really easy to hit right.

eboch

I've also seen comments about the gear cogs not be chamfered, etc .... thus impacting how first gear engages. I cannot comment much on these possible "design" issues. .... I can only speak to my experience.

In my case, before I upgraded my clutch, I'd have into-1st shifting difficulty ~ 20% of the time ... particulalry at a standstill or slow roll. Running through another gear and then into 1st would usually allow the into-1st shift to happen.

After the clutch upgrade, into-1st shifting was noticably worse (...the subject of this thread). Sometimes I could not get it into 1st and had to launch in 2nd.

After I did the shifter adjustments, the into-1st shifting problem is 100% gone ... no work on the transmission gears, etc was done. In fact the whole operation of the shifting is just a lot crisper and much more "precise" feeling .... without any "odd" behavior. Additionally, the notorious 2-3 shift is really easy to hit right.

eboch

Sounds like my exact situation. Think I'll remove the console and check out the linkage adjustment/collar you mention above. Thanks for the tip!:cool

This info resolved my shift problems

:thumbI had my C6 into the dealer 3 or 4 times to correct shifting into 1st & 2nd problems and they told me that the issue I was having was normal. I then decided to use the internet to see if others were having the same problem. After reading this "Thread" and making a copy and taking it to the dealer I now have perfect shifting into all gears. The dealer had replaced my linkage at about 16000 miles and my shift probems started then. I had a few problems shifting from 1st to 2nd prior to the linkage change. My dealer said they did not have access to this type of info when I showed them these comments. Thanks for the advice because my C6 is better than ever.
HappyC6

Took the console apart and took the shifter out. The only place I could see any "adjustability" was in the attachment to the linkage ... there is a colar/clamp fitting to the rear of the shifter control box (pretty obvious when you look at it, it has a torx screw). This is the main connection between the shifter control box under the shifter and the linkage which runs to the transmission. In my case this fitting was loose and therefore the shifter was not rotating the linkage properly. Loosening this and moving the shifter you can see that different linkage shaft rotations can be acheived. It does not seem to have a lot of play when loose, but it does have some. Adjusting this a few times, I was able to get very smooth gear shifting and perfect "H" centering between 3rd and 4th. The "balance" here seemed to be to get the right amount of linkage rotation to catch 1st & 2nd .... as well as reverse on the other side of the shifter throw. Then check that the shifter also sits nicely between 3rd and 4th without any left-right pushing. I then checked the smoothness of the 2nd to 3rd transition. It took a 2 or 3 adjustment cycles to get it to a good place ... took 5 minutes.

I drove the car last night and again this morning. Shifting beautifully. probably smoother and more precise feeling that it ever did previously.

c4c5 ... are there any other shifter adjustment points to be aware of?

regards
eboch

PS: I see a lot of posts related to difficultied with 1st gear, clunky 2nd-3rd shifting, etc .... I wonder how many of these can be solved with this adjustment (?).

cheers.

eboch

you need a patient tech to get it lined up right and torqing the bolts is critical

:thumbI had my C6 into the dealer 3 or 4 times to correct shifting into 1st & 2nd problems and they told me that the issue I was having was normal. I then decided to use the internet to see if others were having the same problem. After reading this "Thread" and making a copy and taking it to the dealer I now have perfect shifting into all gears. The dealer had replaced my linkage at about 16000 miles and my shift probems started then. I had a few problems shifting from 1st to 2nd prior to the linkage change. My dealer said they did not have access to this type of info when I showed them these comments. Thanks for the advice because my C6 is better than ever.
HappyC6
Thats Horse Pucky!!They have a Stand Alone Service Information program thats updated daily!!:thumb:thumb:thumb Besides the MN6 sp Shifters have adjusted the same way since about 1998.

:beer

"Horse Pucky" or not

Thats Horse Pucky!!They have a Stand Alone Service Information program thats updated daily!!:thumb:thumb:thumb Besides the MN6 sp Shifters have adjusted the same way since about 1998.

:beer
They have since used the information I gave them to fix another vette. I will relay your info on the Stand Alone Service Information program to them.

glad i found this post and this site. Just had a Z06 clutch installed in my 2005 Z51 and am experiencing the same problem. I'd rather do this adjustment myself then have the dealer try to mess with it. However, I've never even had the counsole out. It doesn't seem that difficult and I am a wrencher. Can someone go through this adjustment in a little more detail or email me a few pages of the service manual? david.kirchhoff@ge.com

thanks
Dave

Sorry, didn't take any pictures.

Getting the console out is not that difficult. I found an installation note with pics on one of the sites that sells aftermarket carbon-fiber kits for corvette interiors (sorry, cant recall which site). Basically, there is a small plate on the console that wraps down into the armrest ... pop that up & off .... there are two screws. There are other screws (cant recall if there was one or two) behind the parking brake boot. Otherwise its held in with clips. You'll need to remove the shifter knob (there is a screw under the knob, just inside the leather boot).

Once the console cover is off/dismantled ... the info I provided (along with C4C5) on the adjustment is about all the guidance I can provide.

Cheers
eboch

Getting the console out is not that difficult. I found an installation note with pics on one of the sites that sells aftermarket carbon-fiber kits for corvette interiors (sorry, cant recall which site). Basically, there is a small plate on the console that wraps down into the armrest ... pop that up & off .... there are two screws. There are other screws (cant recall if there was one or two) behind the parking brake boot. Otherwise its held in with clips. You'll need to remove the shifter knob (there is a screw under the knob, just inside the leather boot).

Once the console cover is off/dismantled ... the info I provided (along with C4C5) on the adjustment is about all the guidance I can provide.

Cheers

Good Stuff:thumb does the shifter have to completely come out to adjust after placing in neutral and pushing pin,also where are the 3 fasteners that are talked about by c4/c5/:beer

Cheers

Good Stuff:thumb does the shifter have to completely come out to adjust after placing in neutral and pushing pin,also where are the 3 fasteners that are talked about by c4/c5/:beer

-----------------
Once the console is out .. .the shifter can come out pretty easily ... the bolts are on the top side of the retainer plate ... and the shifter is really just sitting in there once the bolts are removed. I did not have to remove the shifter to do the adjustment. In my case, most of the improvement came from lossening the cap screw at the rear of the assembly (where the linkage attaches) ... moving the shifter slightly ... and then tightening the cap screw. Very small adjustments were required to change it from crap to beautiful.

Cheers

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom