Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! C6 Refuelling (Filling up at gas station)

Corvette
2007 C6 - Arctic White
I have the situation where the gas delivery nozzle shuts off when the tank(s) on my '07 are only 5/8 full. At first, I thought it was a sensitive delivery pump at my
local gas station, but the problem occurs at other gas stations whenever I try to fill up.
I have the GM Service Manuals for 2007, so can refer to the drawings and descriptions of the fuel tanks, crossover tube, valves etc. but the difficult bit is ACCESS....
Does anyone have any recommendations for an 'easy fix', or am I required to get the 'vette up on a hoist and get the tanks out?
Some other guys in the Corvette Club here in UK have had similar experiences and suggest 'manipulating' the gas pump nozzle/going for max flow-rate......I haven't
tried that yet......any ideas gratefully received!
Jack Cooper (CCCUK No. 1911; NCRS No. 34852)

Jack, I've experienced that a time or two with my 007. The thing I do, that seems to work, is pull the filler nozzle out a bit. It seems like, if I put the nozzle all the way in it kicks off early. I'd sure as heck try that before I started thinking about pulling the tanks....Just me thinking out loud. :D

Bingo

I've managed to fill my C6 in one shot, using the 'upside-down-nozzle' method, as suggested by one of the guys in the U K Corvette Club.
So that's one problem out of the way for a while......
Take care out there
J.C.

Literally upside down? That's a new one to me. If it works, it makes sense! :thumb

C6 refueling

Common problem, i was told one time because of the crossover system.get used to it.

Seems lots of newer cars suffer from this problem. On my Range Rover, I just back the nozzle out a bit to allow for better venting. If I put it all the way in, the fuel flow down the pipe seems to get restricted a bit by the air venting back up the pipe shutting the nozzle off. I haven't had the issue since I started leaving the nozzle out a ways.

C6 refueling

The problem in California is you can't have the nozzle upside down. It will not allow gas to flow

The problem in California is you can't have the nozzle upside down. It will not allow gas to flow

Also, the California refueling nozzle has a fumes return system and rubber seal with a flow switch. Unless the nozzle is all the way in, and the seal is made, it won’t pump fuel.

:eyerole

The thing to to remember about these modern vehicles is that they have a fuel fume filtering system that is not good to flood by “topping off” to the brim of the fuel inlet. So going past the automated fuel stop point, or pulling the nozzle out farther might be counterproductive

Last edited:
Also, the California refueling nozzle has a fumes return system and rubber seal with a flow switch. Unless the nozzle is all the way in, and the seal is made, it won’t pump fuel.

:eyerole

The thing to to remember about these modern vehicles is that they have a fuel fume filtering system that is not good to flood by “topping off” to the brim of the fuel inlet. So going past the automated fuel stop point, or pulling the nozzle out farther might be counterproductive

It indeed will be counterproductive and expensive when you saturate the charcoal canister. OBD 2 vehicles are not designed to be filled to the top during fueling, and can be a dangerous procedure if performed.

It indeed will be counterproductive and expensive when you saturate the charcoal canister. OBD 2 vehicles are not designed to be filled to the top during fueling, and can be a dangerous procedure if performed.

Hmmm, I only have to pull my nozzle out about 1/4 inch to allow for air venting when filling and I quit filling when it clicks off. Never bothered to "top" the tank. If any of you can tell me how to insert the nozzle all the way in without having to stand there and play with the filler, I'm all ears.

Hmmm, I only have to pull my nozzle out about 1/4 inch to allow for air venting when filling and I quit filling when it clicks off. Never bothered to "top" the tank. If any of you can tell me how to insert the nozzle all the way in without having to stand there and play with the filler, I'm all ears.

It can be done, you have to pull up on the bellows, and yes you do have to play with it and it's a real pain, but some people do it. Don't do it.

It can be done, you have to pull up on the bellows, and yes you do have to play with it and it's a real pain, but some people do it. Don't do it.

I believe your problem is different than my problem. I don't have bellows with microswitches, nor do I fill past the auto shut off. My issue is that these splash shield used on some pumps in Michigan restrict the airflow coming back up the filler neck not allowing the fuel to freely flow down the pipe. Leaving a 1/4" air gap alleviates the issue. Or, go to the Shell station which doesn't have these silly splash guards on their nozzles.
shields.jpg

I remember those in the 1970-80s as a kid in upstate NY. Had the same problem filling my 1974 Honda SL-125-K2 motorcycle’s gas tank for the same reasons.

Thats a a different problem than what we suffer with fuel return systems here in the Left Coast.

Oh oh and here they are trying to push legislation to rid all gas combustion vehicles by 2040. I’m sure it will have many taxes to allow the classics to exist.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom