Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! C6 Service Column Lock Issue

NickCut

Corvette
95 C4 and 2007 C6 Victory Edition
Help needed please here in the UK. Got myself a 2007 Euro Spec Victory Edition in Black and have had the Service Column Lock come up twice now in the DIC.

When this happens i am unable to start the car, so its a big problem for me.

I am somewhat puzzled as i thought this problem was only applicable to 2005 models?

As luck would have it the car has been on the drive on both occasion and i have resolved the issue albeit temporarily by putting the battery on a smart charger overnight and bingo everything works fine in the morning.

I didn't note the battery voltage when it failed last time but after charging the battery shows 14.6V

As the last owner passed away i dont have much history to go on but the battery looks new but i guess it could be failing?
Anyone else had this issue with and 07 C6.

Help and advice greatly appreciated.

Nick

I think you found the problem.... the electrical system on these cars is very sensitive to voltage variations. I would have the battery checked out thoroughly and make sure it meets ALL specs for a C6. Better yet, if the battery is of questionable age, replace it with the appropriate replacement.

Thanks for this. Going to check the battery Voltage on Friday to see if its dropped. Also going to pull the battery out to see if i can get a manufactures date off the casing. Its a real pain at the moment as i cant risk going anywhere in case it throws this fault. That aside its a lovely car. Cheers Nick

Found this when looking around at this issue.

If you have an actual column lock on a 2006, then you have a rare bird, because it was removed after model year 2005.

It does seem that the DIC message itself, however, still exists in the software, and as was prevously explained, this message seems to occur preferentially when the battery voltage is low.

Thanks for this. I am wondering whether the column lock was kept on for the European Market? Car was built June 2006 according to the VIN Decoder database. Cheers Nick

Thanks for this. I am wondering whether the column lock was kept on for the European Market? Car was built June 2006 according to the VIN Decoder database. Cheers Nick

That crossed my mind but if it was an issue, I would think they would discontinue them on all that were manufactured after 2005. I had the issue on my C5 and I was curious if the fix worked for the C6. Don't know much about the workings of a C6, with my light pockets I'm always 2 or 3 generations behind. I do know C5s and later gens are very finicky about their batteries. Good luck on cleaning up this issue.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom