Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Cam Change With A/C Condensor

Bill75

Corvette
75 Coupe ZZ4, Brodix IK-180's, Headers,TK0-500
Anyone know if there's enough room to swap the cam if the A/C condensor is still in the car? Radiator of course is removed, engine is ZZ4.

I'm interested in this answer as well...(thinking ahead to next year :D)

very tight you probably could lower or raise the condensor while connected if carful but a 2 man job then

very tight you probably could lower or raise the condensor while connected if carful but a 2 man job then

Condensor bracket is loose so it will pivot forward until it touches the headlight vac cans. Looks close with a tape measure but not sure.

Cam length

OK, lets try this:

If someone has a 350 cam laying around could you measure the length for me?

I think I can get an idea if there's enough room.

Thanks

brand new comp XE268 is 21 13/16 inches long from end of bearing to end of pins.

Can you jack up the front of the engine and this might help to get more length between motor and condensor core?

brand new comp XE268 is 21 13/16 inches long from end of bearing to end of pins.

Can you jack up the front of the engine and this might help to get more length between motor and condensor core?

Thank you very much Curtis!!

Actually with the condensor at an angle, the front of the engine would have to go down. But I did remove the top and middle bolts from the condensor frame so it'll pivot forward some. I'll get out my tape measure and see if it'll work.

Thanks again

Bill

I put a cam in my '80 without removing AC

I have a 1980 L48 and was able to put a cam in. Radiator had to come out but I was able to get it in with AC loosened. You can move it around enough to get the cam in.

I have a 1980 L48 and was able to put a cam in. Radiator had to come out but I was able to get it in with AC loosened. You can move it around enough to get the cam in.

That's good news, so there is hope! I was busy last night and didn't get a chance to measure. I would imagine our two cars are the same in that area.

Thanks for the reply.

Bill

The cam cam be removed only by removing the 2 headlight vacuum cans to provide enough room for the A/C condensor to swing forward. I was able to do it by myself by tying a rope to the condensor bracket and gently pulling the top forward enough to provide enough space to get the cam out and the new one in.

Bill:D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom