Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Can this be right?

MarkC

Corvette
1998 Coupe
Just got a couple quotes for replacing the weatherstripping in my 96 CE using GM weatherstrip................ one was $1700 and the other $1500. Sound right?

Wouldn't surprise me. One of the sponcer vendors is having a group buy for this forum. I think it's $375 for the complete kit for "do-it-yourselfers".

Is that with GM parts or aftermarket? The reason I ask is I've read at least 100 posts on the subject and the consensus seems to be the only way to go is with the GM parts.

Doubt it's GM if it isn't from a car dealer which it isn't.

I bought my replacement weatherstrip from LoneStar MuscleCar off eBay. I am very satisfied with the quality of the product and the stuff I bought has a 15 year warranty. Cost for the doors, A-pillar, and B-pillar was around $225. It took me about one hour to do the doors and around three hours to do the A and B pillars.

I bought after market weatherstrip

And after 6 months of waiting for it to "Cure" I think I am going to bite the bullet and purchase the right GM parts and fix my leaking doors

Well, that does it for me. I'm buying the GM weatherstripping set.

"sriat" is about the 10th dissatified buyer of non-GM 'stripping I have come across. Given all the time and effort to install all this weatherstripping, I sure as h3LL don't want to do it over because it leaks. Plus, the possible mold problem, etc., from trying to "save a buck". It just does not seem worth it to me.

"Why do we never have enough time to do it right the first time, but we always seem to have time to do it right the second time?"-----------Unknown

Well, that does it for me. I'm buying the GM weatherstripping set.

"sriat" is about the 10th dissatified buyer of non-GM 'stripping I have come across. Given all the time and effort to install all this weatherstripping, I sure as h3LL don't want to do it over because it leaks. Plus, the possible mold problem, etc., from trying to "save a buck". It just does not seem worth it to me.

"Why do we never have enough time to do it right the first time, but we always seem to have time to do it right the second time?"-----------Unknown

Well, I have no leakage problem with my aftermarket weatherstrip, maybe I got lucky.

Well, I have no leakage problem with my aftermarket weatherstrip, maybe I got lucky.
No you just probly payed attention and got them seated in right!!!!!All glue must removed and cleaned out of the tracks!!! No gaps under weather strips that's what it takes,or water Will run under them!!!:upthumbs Once they are put in WRONG,You will never get them to Quit Leaking!!!!!!:eek:hnoes :eek:hnoes :D PS. Some of them has been Discontinued from GM!!!!

No you just probly payed attention and got them seated in right!!!!!All glue must removed and cleaned out of the tracks!!! No gaps under weather strips that's what it takes,or water Will run under them!!!:upthumbs Once they are put in WRONG,You will never get them to Quit Leaking!!!!!!:eek:hnoes :eek:hnoes :D PS. Some of them has been Discontinued from GM!!!!

Well Junkie, I was going o say that but I didn't want to sound condescending. All the bad rap the after market receives can't be true. I worked very hard to get the old adhesive off before I installed the new, just as a restoration professional instructed me. I guess it paid off. For those of you considering this, whichever weatherstrips you choose, make certain that you do a good job of preparing everything before installing the new strips. The best weatherstrips in the world won't seal if you don't make the correct preparations.

Good luck.

Tom is meticulous and more than competent. I have seen his work personally. He has posted some of his projects here with pics.( see seat leather resto! ) When the time comes, and that will be sooner than later, to replace weather strip, I will be buying from Lonestar Muscle Car. :D

Thank you Greg for the compliment. I guess maybe I am a bit overzealous when it comes to doing things right. My point is, I don't think that many times it is the problem with the product, as it is the installation.

Thank you Greg for the compliment. I guess maybe I am a bit overzealous when it comes to doing things right. My point is, I don't think that many times it is the problem with the product, as it is the installation.
Best thing is,if you can't do it right "Don't Do It"!!!! And there ain't such thing as being OVERZEALOUS when it comes to doing it Right!!!!!:upthumbs

I bought my replacement weatherstrip from LoneStar MuscleCar off eBay. I am very satisfied with the quality of the product and the stuff I bought has a 15 year warranty. Cost for the doors, A-pillar, and B-pillar was around $225. It took me about one hour to do the doors and around three hours to do the A and B pillars.

I just had Thunder painted and replaced all of the weatherstripping with a kit from LoneStar MuscleCar. The product is excellent and the customer service is spot on.

I would recommend them to anybody looking for new rubbers.:D

Junkie and spanishvetts, thanks for the vote of confidence. I have been told, on more than one occasion, that I am crazy or lying about my experience with the after-market weatherstrip. I believe that, many times is not the product but the installation that is at fault. My mantra is learn as much about the job at hand, before you start, then things are less likely to go wrong. I'm no ace mechanic, but I try to follow my mantra, which makes the job easier.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom