Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Car drying with a "leaf blower?" NO WAY!

I used my Toro electric leaf blower last summer, it worked great specially getting the water out of the hatch area. Chamois off the left over water, very quick. 210 mph.

Wet Vacuum Leaf Blower what ever it takes!

I've found when I owned my 94, it was a real water collector. The worst was that pool of water that collects in front of the rear window. I ended up carefully using a wet vac to remove excess water from all around the car. Now with the C5, it's better, but water collects in the corner of the rear window stripping. A leaf blower is a good idea......if you have one lying around. I mulch my leaves with a tractor, so that method would be insane.

370!

Vettepilot, I'm glad you mentioned this, because this is how I dry mine! :)

Drying by hand leaves a lot of water in the hood crevices, t-top grooves, side mirrors and rear window trim that will just blow out when you drive it...so after I've washed 78 I take a drive around our 3 mile block as fast as I can and then towel dry whatever is left when I get back home!

Makes for a nice driving break in between car detailing chores, and I've not noticed any water spots on the carnauba waxed paint.

I took the day off from work with the hopes of putting some miles on the 'Vette...all of a sudden a blizzard blew in and now there's about 3" of snow on the ground. I think I'll search the web for an electric leaf blower :) And one of those squeegee things...

Vetts are GREAT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, BUT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, The engineers who build them ought to have to wash and dry a new model prior to signing off on a finial design! :hb My 85 and 98 both have PAIN IN THE BUTT places that require too much extra effort to dry properly.

Three days after I had my C5, the tail lights were removed and I drilled 1/8 inch holes in the very bottoms on the body cavity area to let that dang water that builds up at the bottom of the tail lights drain out. The stupid factory drains are at 5 and 7 o 'clock so the water can't drain!!:mad.

I too found out that the leaf blower OR a wet and dry vac (emptied and cleaned) with the hose in the exhaust port of the vacuum and a cone type nozzel works very well. You will find out that a wet vac is easier to control and less likely to loose control of and hit the car. Just keep the vac hose off the car. I wrap mine over my shoulder.

SPRING is just around the block!!!! :D

Bill Curlee

Leaf Blower drying car.

My friend has a beautiful newly painted YELLOW 81 Vette that he swears by using the blow dryer. No water spots, no left over water or suds. I have seen him do it and I am going to purchase one to do my newly painted and redone 80 Bright Red vette.

The blow dry method will remove MOST of the water but a good cotten towel will be needed to completely get it dry with out any spots on the windows and body. I use it mostly to get the places that accumulate large amounts of water that come out when you get about 50 feet out of the driveway.

Bill C

OK, so this is my first post...I have used a blower on my Porsche and the Vette. Although my neighbors stare (who cares?), it always does a Great job. I have never experienced any blower debris damage while using it and have found that the better the wax job, the better job it does removing water. I have found no spotting after using the blower and I simply towel off any remaining droplets. Just my .02

Coot

How big of a blower do you need?

Just wondering if one of the smaller / lighter 160mph models would work for this? They can be purchased for around $35.00 !
Or do you need a higher volume (CFM) or velocity like 210 mph to do any good?

I like the idea of the lightweight models, easy to handle.

Tom,

Also, Welcome to the C.A.C......"Coot"

tom....i've got one of the cheapies (170 MPH) and it does ok....takes a little longer and if you're not careful (and depending on the amount of minerals in the water) it will start spotting. Think if I had one that blew harder....it'd get rid of the water quicker...but, I'm staying with what i got.

RubynJames mentioned chamois

My husband just bought a leaf blower for me...I thought what a stupid thing to do, duh! I don't do the yardwork, and I made some sarcastic remark figuring it was just another gadget he wanted and disquised as a gift for me, LOL! He said it's for clearing off the seating areas around our patio from all of the leaf debris that drives me crazy. Then I made another sarcastic remark...I didn't think I'd EVER use that thing!

Well, today, I stand corrected! I am absolutely giving it a shot at my baby this weekend! I can't wait to see the results with a lot less effort! I recently very badly sprained my wrist and haven't had full use of it for 3 months making car washing a nightmare.

I had asked my car detailer (detailed every 2 months) before I found this site, how to care for it and he told me: high pressure wash or hand wash with Meguiar's pink detergent and a chamois, rinse well, and chamois off with another chamois OR wash it late at night when there's little traffic and open it up on the highway to dry...no friction = no scratches! That's not very feasible for me, so I high pressure wash it and dry it with my water blades (which I absolutely LOVE), then hit any remaining spots with the chamois. Does it take everyone else 2 hours just to wash/dry their car? But WOO-HOO! I'm going for it!

I just blew dry my '95 C4 about an hour ago. I have found that with a waxed surface the water just flies off. One caution. Make every effort to pay attention to how close you get the end of the blower to the car. If you are careless you may mar the surface. Should do no damage however. I've touched the car a few times but noticed nothing. I guess that's because its plastic to plastic.

My Bonne did not have much of a wax finish left on her and I found that while the blower worked ok, it did not blast all traces of water from the finish. It just kind of spread it around. Gonna have to give my other "baby" a wax job.

Regarding your wrist, I hope it is not the one that will be holding the blower. Mine is so strong that it works my wrist pretty well!

Be careful.

compyelc4 said:

Regarding your wrist, I hope it is not the one that will be holding the blower. Mine is so strong that it works my wrist pretty well!

Be careful.

I didn't EVEN think of THAT! Thanks for pointing it out...I haven't yet washed Chari and my hubby is wanting to joy ride to the beach or mountains today...

He's never washed her, so I don't know if I DARE let him! LOL! Maybe I'll wash and he can dry!
;)

I read about using a leaf blower several months back & thought that it was a crazy idea. Then I thought about it & bought a $70 model that blows at 3 speeds with max winds of 215mph. My neighbors think I'm nuts, but I dry my car in no time. I simply use a large terry cloth towel to finish the little droplets off my beauty!! Someone mentioned be careful with the end of the blower. I have touched the body several times by mistake; no damage.

:cool

I'm so thrilled!

I finally had a chance to use the leaf blower (I have no idea of make, model, cost)...what a cool idea!

I hand washed and then used the water blade and then BAM...hit those water spots with the blower. Every now and then, I had a hard time aerodynamically removing water from the wheels. It just kept spinning around and around...

:s

But overall, I'll use it every chance I can! I then went ahead and tried out the detailing spray that was recommended. LOVE IT!

Sorry for the double post...

I always seem to have an afterthought to my posts...

My injured left wrist held up fine. I held the blower in my right hand and directed the lightweight nozzle with the left...no problem!

:D

I laughed out loud at your comment about going round-and-round on the wheels. I know what you mean. That little ridge on the outside of the wheels makes things difficult. I think I'll file mine down to make wheel drying less dizzying.

I use a "Water blade" on the glass, a "Absorber" on the paint, and a leaf blower on the rest.

I use it mostly to blow out the cracks and crevices, and around the wheels.

It works really well.

MrMidLife

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom