Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Carb float level

jracer49420

Corvette
1974 stingray
I have a 74 that is hard starting when cold. I was told that the float level in the carb should be checked. I have a Q4 on this vette. Can anyone tell me how this is done? Thanks

You have to pull the top of the carb off to set the float level. With the top removed, remove the big phenolic spacer that covers the area around the needle/seat. Hold the float hinge clip firmly seated and push down lightly on the float where it contacts the needle. Measure from the top of the float bowl to the top of the float at the rear edge of the float. Float level should be .375" for a street-driven car using a 1968 – 1974 carb. Adjust the float level by removing the float and bending its lever arm. Never raise the float level by forcing the float against the needle/seat to bend it – this will damage the needle. (From Q-jet tuning by Lars Grimsrud) God bless, Sensei

If you just want to check the level before pulling the carb apart O.T.C. sells measuring sticks that fit down the vent hole and will give you a pretty accurate reading to see if it needs to come apart for repair;) . make sure your choke closes tight and that the pull-off is working .these carbs also had issues with leaky lead plugs in the bottom of the bowl this would leave the bowl dry and let gas run into the engine a bowl at a time if left long enough:ugh Steve

If you just want to check the level before pulling the carb apart O.T.C. sells measuring sticks that fit down the vent hole and will give you a pretty accurate reading to see if it needs to come apart for repair;) . make sure your choke closes tight and that the pull-off is working .these carbs also had issues with leaky lead plugs in the bottom of the bowl this would leave the bowl dry and let gas run into the engine a bowl at a time if left long enough:ugh Steve

Tell me more about the O.T.C. measuring sticks. Where do you purchase them?

otc is a tool mfg company some tool vendors cornwell, mac, matco or maybe snap -on may be able to hook you up I hope the kit is still available carbs are not used much anymore but if you hunt around i am sure you could find them maybe even e-bay i will check around it is a handy tool Steve

these are what they look like mabe a hard item to find otc , kent-more,and thexton are a fewof the vendors that had them the part # are in the pics will see if i can round something up on the net Steve

All, thanks for the info. Will search for them, but if you have a reliable source, please let me know.

Thanks,

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom