Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

center console?

bmack

Corvette
73 blue coupe
Need some advice on how to get the center console out. Is it fastened down at the front and do you have to disconnect the 2 vent cables?

removing center console

during my interior rebuild on my '73, i did not have to remove the cables that control the vents.

in the second picture, you can see the cables still attached to the vent control levers.

RebuildInteriorConsole2.jpg

DSC01404.jpg

Center Console

KinleyDog said:
during my interior rebuild on my '73, i did not have to remove the cables that control the vents.

in the second picture, you can see the cables still attached to the vent control levers.

RebuildInteriorConsole2.jpg

DSC01404.jpg

Just curious, did the front part of the center console just slide back when you removed the rear portion around the E brake? I'm trying to remove the nuts from the studs at the bottom of the center instrument cluster bezel, but I don't have the right tool or hands to reach in there to get to them. The studs I'm talking about appear in the gap in your second photo.

from what i can recall, here is my recollection of the order to get the center console out:
- removed components around e-brake
- removed gear shift knob
- remove knobs from vent controls (hex screw under knob)
- take out screws from plate covering on console; to remove this, i had to put car in neutral otherwise there was too much bind
- remove screws at different layers within the console components and set aside
- remove screws from the front console support bracket

i do not remember needing any special tools to remove anything.

make sure to mark what came from where and if you want to be really meticulous, then put things into plastic bags and mark them.

regarding your question on the "studs", i'm not sure what you are referring to, but perhaps you can describe them a bit further for me.

here are a series of pics that may be helpful.

RebuildInteriorConsole1.jpg

DSC00926.jpg

DSC00922.jpg

DSC00928.jpg

USNA1969 said:
Just curious, did the front part of the center console just slide back when you removed the rear portion around the E brake? I'm trying to remove the nuts from the studs at the bottom of the center instrument cluster bezel, but I don't have the right tool or hands to reach in there to get to them. The studs I'm talking about appear in the gap in your second photo.
I'm with you, I'm trying to get at the 2 studs also. I saw the posts pics on the other reply...perhaps the original guy who took the console out did not replace the nuts on the studs!!!! So the second guy had an easier time sliding the console out. I bought another console and a new heater control face plate and am trying to figure out how to replace it...any suggestions?? Thank you. Barry

Barry, I've had mine out a few times. But the first time I had the same problem. Since I'm replacing the console eventually I just ripped it out. However, from looking at KinleyDog's photos the last one shows what I should have done.

I assume you have the main console cover plate off already, it's the one with the gear indicator, engine spec plate and ashtray. The next step is to remove the heater control and lift it out slightly, there should be sufficient slack in the connections, then turn it 90'. This will allow you to lift the console as if it were hinged at the gauge pannel. This is how the last photo shows the console, and should allow sufficient access to the two nuts on the studs.

I don't have my new console yet.. it's back ordered, so I don't know if that portion is flexable on the new one to reverse the procedure. If it is, great, if not you may need to remove the gauge panel and the support bracket, then reassemble the three as one unit before reinstalling in the car. Major PITA.

Hope that helps.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom