Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

CFI to TPI swap

S

Shane

Ok, I recently posted a thread about problems with my 84 Vette. After many futile attempts at correcting the issue, I've decided to just replace the motor. I found an 85 or 86(cant remember off the top of my head) at a salvage yard (with a TPI, obviously) that is in serviceable condition.(it runs) It's also an automatic, as is my 84. If I where to go this route, it should just bolt on with few issues, correct?

It's not a bolt-on operation.

i know. I'm using "bolt on" as a figure of speech.(meaning that the operation shouldn't have any major issues) If you're not going to post something useful, then don't comment.

If you can't handle a realistic answer, then don't ask the question.

No ones provided a realistic answer, only a smartass comment. If you have nothing productive to post then go elsewhere. I'm not some retarded kid. I've done more than my share of auto work, but never a C4 vette.

Bolting in the engine is the easy part, its all the wiring, relays, ecm, ducting, ect...

i know. I'm using "bolt on" as a figure of speech.(meaning that the operation shouldn't have any major issues) If you're not going to post something useful, then don't comment.

Dude...you're only freakin' question was....

If I where to go this route, it should just bolt on with few issues, correct?

...and I answered it.

Had you asked some additional, more astute questions, I'd have been able to offer more information.

Converting to from 2xTBI to TPI is definitely not a bolt on.

In addition to the information above in the post by "vetteoz", You'll need:

>A different ECM and calibration to go with the engine you're installing.
>A different wiring harness which matches the engine you are installing and I mean the entire engine controls harness from the firewall to every sensor and actuator on the new engine for the model year in question.
>A different interior wiring harness from the firewall across the car to the ECM
>A different fuel pump
>Different fuel plumbing
>Different air filter assembly.
>Possibly some different coolant hoses
>If the new engine is out of a Z51, you'll probably need oil cooler plumbing.
>If the engine is out of a Z51, you may want the aux. cooling fan and harness
>You may need a different hood, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Seems to me the 84 hoods had less clearance due to the cold air ducting unique to the 2xTBI setup. That ducting was not present in 85-86.

In reading your additional comments, I have to tell you with the attitude you bring to the CAC you may not last long here. You might want to take a deep breath and consider that your 15 total CAC posts so far don't give you much standing when you start acting sort of arrogant.

Ok, I recently posted a thread about problems with my 84 Vette. After many futile attempts at correcting the issue, I've decided to just replace the motor. I found an 85 or 86(cant remember off the top of my head) at a salvage yard (with a TPI, obviously) that is in serviceable condition.(it runs) It's also an automatic, as is my 84. If I where to go this route, it should just bolt on with few issues, correct?

Sorry, I missed the thread. What is the problem w ur Xfire?

Me too. Maybe the OP can fix his Xfire system rather than going to the trouble to change the engine.

Not doing a TPIswap. Its a bit beyond my capabilities. I've decided on 2 options. option 1 is rebuilding the existing block with a carb or a 350/290 crate, also with carb. Both of these are within my ability to do the majority of the work myself.

Dude...you're only freakin' question was....

...and I answered it.

Had you asked some additional, more astute questions, I'd have been able to offer more information.

Converting to from 2xTBI to TPI is definitely not a bolt on.

In addition to the information above in the post by "vetteoz", You'll need:

>A different ECM and calibration to go with the engine you're installing.
>A different wiring harness which matches the engine you are installing and I mean the entire engine controls harness from the firewall to every sensor and actuator on the new engine for the model year in question.
>A different interior wiring harness from the firewall across the car to the ECM
>A different fuel pump
>Different fuel plumbing
>Different air filter assembly.
>Possibly some different coolant hoses
>If the new engine is out of a Z51, you'll probably need oil cooler plumbing.
>If the engine is out of a Z51, you may want the aux. cooling fan and harness
>You may need a different hood, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Seems to me the 84 hoods had less clearance due to the cold air ducting unique to the 2xTBI setup. That ducting was not present in 85-86.

In reading your additional comments, I have to tell you with the attitude you bring to the CAC you may not last long here. You might want to take a deep breath and consider that your 15 total CAC posts so far don't give you much standing when you start acting sort of arrogant.

I'm not seeing where you're finding arrogance, or "attitude" for that matter. Perhaps you should look at yourself? . Standing? I'm not nor will I ever be an active member of this forum.(or any other online community for that matter) I was merely looking for opinions and/or options. I have no need or desire for "standing" in an online community of people I will most likely never meet.

Thanks for the info, but I've decided to go a different route that is within my knowledge and abilities.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom