Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Changing lug nuts???

kingman

Corvette
2002 Torch Red Coupe
hi

Today l should be receiving a full set of lug nut caps for my polished alum wheels. These are the stainless ones, but l have a question that might sound dumb but who knows!

I have read that l should wrap elect tape around the outside of my lug wrench to prevent marring my wheels.

Also to cover the lug nut caps with a Glad sandwich bag to prevent marring the actual caps!

Does the saying righty tighty apply here??

Thanks

Alan

ps I'm open to other suggestions if you know of any.

Electrical tape will work just fine to keep the socket from damaging the wheels. As far as the caps, just make sure you don't tighten them too much o they might break.

And yes, righty tighty--lefty loosy.

Sooo Simple !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey 2002 yellow

Thanks, l would hate to blow it which l have been known to do in the past.

Alan

Hi kingman -

If they are the factory oem kind that screw onto the outer threads of the oem lugnuts, I would use jut your hand and the socket and an extension - no wrench -

Tighten them until you feel a click.

That gets them on tight enough to keep kids from removing them but not so much as to risk messing them up.

just take your time - you'll be fine.

best regards -

mqqn

Yup, that is very good advice, never put the caps on with anything other then an extension and your hand, and never ever use an impact wrench to put on either the nuts themselves or the caps...

I only use the impact wrench to REMOVE the lug nuts.

Trying to change the wheels on a different car of mine I broke an adapter that was rated for 175 lb-ft! The nuts were only supposed to be torqued to 100!

So yes, do not use an impact wrench to tighten lug nuts!

They came off too easy !

Hi

The orig lug nut covers from GM came off like goose grease. The stainless ones went on just as easy. I just made them tight enough without applying too much pleasure.

What concerns me is that this was way too easy, nothing is this easy!

Thanks for the help.

Alan

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom