Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Changing Rear End - Valuation Issue

Silverfox1

Corvette
1995 Red ZR-1
I have a stock '69 350/350 w/4.11s, M21. Case code is correct. Car was so good in all other aspects, felt it was worth it. Car tachs at 3250 rpm @ 65 mph. It is loud & quite frankly, rather limiting in so far as going anywhere on the freeway. I'm in 4th gear at 40 mph, so the shifting is constant.

I'm planning to put in 3.36s. What effect, if any, would the gear change have on the car's value. I could see 2 ways: negative in that it's a modification from stock; positive in that it would be a nice highway cruiser, cuts down on all the shifting/clutch/trans action.

Any thoughts?
Rob:beer

If I were interested in buying your car and it came with the COMPLETE original 4.11 differential (case and gears still together) set aside while using 3.36 gears in another case, I would not devalue the car whatsoever.

I think anybody would understand the need for you to install a more reasonable gear ratio with fuel costs. It also puts much less wear and tear on the whole driveline.

Chuck M

No change in value while you own the car: it's your car. If you make the swap, keep the original 4.11s for future resale/restore purposes.
:thumb

If I were interested in buying your car and it came with the COMPLETE original 4.11 differential (case and gears still together) set aside while using 3.36 gears in another case, I would not devalue the car whatsoever.

I think anybody would understand the need for you to install a more reasonable gear ratio with fuel costs. It also puts much less wear and tear on the whole driveline.

Chuck M

Those were my thoughts, too. I would think anything that improves the driving experience would be a plus. Thanks Chuck :w

Those were my thoughts, too. I would think anything that improves the driving experience would be a plus. Thanks Chuck :w

Don't forget to save the 4.11's as a complete unit still in the carrier. Saving Just the ring and pinion would not be the same.

I know it will be the more expensive route.

Chuck M

M-21 is the close ratio trans and works very well with 411 and 370/373 gears. You may not like it with a 336 gear, I wouldn't make that move but it's up to you. The M20 trans work better with all the ratios and that is what came with 336's, although I wouldn't use it with 308's until you have the torque of a BB. IF you do a lot of highway driving I would get the 336 & a good m20 and save the others to go with the car if you sell it. All in all you may pay more then it's worth in gas and miles driven.

Good luck

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom