Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Choke problems with carberator

IrishJoker

Corvette
81 Gray Coupe, 95 Yellow Coupe, 02 Torch Red
I've got a problem with my carberator choke not dropping off after warm-up. The darn thing idles around 1500rmp and then drops back to 1000rpm. I can manually go on to the passenger side and knock it off the step but as soon as I press the gas pedal is jumps back up to 1000rpm after warm up. Normal idle during the summer is 800rpm. What can I do with this electronically controlled carberator? Also I have two wires that I have noticed laying on in the intake manifold - one dark green and one light green does anyone know what these are for? Once upon a time I think someone referred to one of them as some sort of test lead? I've got this piece of metal sticking out from the choke that looks like one of the wires could slip onto it, is this the case? I figured the choke had to get it's electric power from somewhere?

Probably as you can tell I'm not to swift on the electronically controlled carberators - give me the mechanical one any day - but I got what I got with this 81 and I'd like it to run right.

Joker, The choke wire is light blue I think and for sure comes from the driver side harness by the alternator

Yes, the loose wire is your problem. The green plug is a test lead, but the gray plug on the light green wire is the power to the choke, plug it in!

God bless, Sensei

Yes, the loose wire is your problem. The green plug is a test lead, but the gray plug on the light green wire is the power to the choke, plug it in!

God bless, Sensei

Thank you for that answer - I've tried it both ways - figuring the light green (blue) had to plug into the choke. BTW my 81 had been dark blue like yours (if it's a St. Louis car). What color is your interior and is it manual or automatic?
I will test that wire to insure it has power and then plug it back onto the choke - I've looked in the 81 manual and what I really hate is they show a very bad picture of the carberator and they don't mention the electrical connection to the choker. Other then the big plug in the front of the carb which I guess goes to the ECM and distributor?
Is that 12 volts across this line?

Thank you for that answer - I've tried it both ways - figuring the light green (blue) had to plug into the choke. BTW my 81 had been dark blue like yours (if it's a St. Louis car). What color is your interior and is it manual or automatic?
I will test that wire to insure it has power and then plug it back onto the choke - I've looked in the 81 manual and what I really hate is they show a very bad picture of the carberator and they don't mention the electrical connection to the choker. Other then the big plug in the front of the carb which I guess goes to the ECM and distributor?
Is that 12 volts across this line?

The choke heater wire is that lime green wire coming out of the bundle on the right side of this picture.

y1pNZs7aqSBVGbe2tGdl8GrKZfNzYiEjfAe3axudvvm4CyJbM6MFuT-Jg

By the way, one can find the connector for the choke heater wire with AC-Delco P/N PT102 or GM#12085480. :upthumbs The original is black in color, and this one with AC-Delco is gray in color. Probably the only difference I have noticed between the two.

GerryLP:cool

What color is your interior and is it manual or automatic?

Automatic (I changed it to a BTO TH700r4), dark blue interior and gymkhana suspension.

I will test that wire to insure it has power and then plug it back onto the choke... Is that 12 volts across this line?

Yes, the wire should have 12 volts with the ignition switch on.

God bless, Sensei

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom