Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Cleaning convertible tops

Gorgon

Corvette
None
Just wondering what you guys use to get your tops really clean without doing any damage to the top or the paint. Any suggetions would be appreciated.

I use either a convt top cleaner which is just soap but I bought it anyway, or I just use car wash soap and a very soft hand brush. I have one that has very soft bristles and it gets all the dirt and dust out of the top that a sponge cant get.

Dont put the top down if it's wet or still damp.

Porsche makes a very nice cloth top cleaner, and that is what I use on my car. It is mild yet effective, and very gentle to the fabric/stitching.

My top does not see alot of dirt/grime so I use a closed-cell sponge, but if you need something more aggressive then a soft bristle brush is acceptable.

I have found an Absorber to do a very good job of pulling the majority of the water out of the top after washing. Following the Absorber, I go over the top with quality microfiber towels to pull the remaining water out. Never fold your top down until you are certain it is 100% dry.

You will also want to be sure to treat the top with a protectant as needed. Ideally, a cloth top should always bead water and not absorb it. Treating a top with a cloth top protectant will not only offer UV protection to the material, but will make subsequent cleaning easier as it offers a barrier to dirt. Use your best judgement as to the frequency of applying a protectant - factors such as outdoor vs. indoor storage of the car, top up or down most of the time, daily driver vs. garage queen will all play a role in the frequency of applying a protectant.

Both 303 and RaggTopp make a nice cloth top protectant that should serve you well. Take your time, it's worth the effort. :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom