Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Clogged Brake Line?

chevyaddict

Corvette
1990 Convertible
Well, I'm stumped... and I've never, for the life of me having chevies, regardless of how long they've sat, ever had a clogged brake line. But that "appears" to be what is going on with the passenger side front. I've just replaced the caliper thinking that was the problem (it was leaking too so no biggy), but even with the new caliper I'm not getting any brake fluid out the bleeder valve nor out of the brake hose itself to the passenger side. I've got the system under pressure and nada. And, of COURSE, I can't get the &^$#@!#$ brake lines off; already stripped those stupid little fittings to try to run some pressurized air through that line.

UUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

I just want to drive the darn thing!!!!!

So, have any of you had this problem? Can it be something else? I can't imagine what. Its not the proportioning valve because I get plenty of normal pressure to the driver's side front and the rear tires. perhaps it could be that little "T" where it splits off from the proportioning valve main line to each front side.... anyone have any thoughts???

I had the same thing on my 76 with the rears and I ended up replacing all the lines $120 at VBP the thing is as you have found out it is hard to change just one they always seem to strip or get buggered up. I cut all lines at the fittings used a 6 point socket to remove the fittings and replaced all the hard lines at once. (the soft lines were replaced first)
good luck
Craig sr.

On my 73 (yours may be different) the "proportioning" valve has two ports for the front lines....the one that comes off the bottom of the valve goes to the passenger side caliper....the lower port goes to the right side and the top port is the rears...now maybe the newr ones are different but I thought the front calipers were on different ports....

Yea, I'm working on my 68 so....... I think I'm gonna have to replace the lines. BUMMER!!!!! thanks for the replies!

chevyaddict said:
Yea, I'm working on my 68 so....... I think I'm gonna have to replace the lines. BUMMER!!!!! thanks for the replies!

Its not that bad with a lift. ;)

CRAP!! Guess what? AFTER cutting my brake line with a grinder (because I couldn't get the mofos off) come to find out it was my right brake hose; not the metal lines. {big sigh}. So now, I have to replace that damn metal line since I cut it. Go figure!

chevyaddict said:
CRAP!! Guess what? AFTER cutting my brake line with a grinder (because I couldn't get the mofos off) come to find out it was my right brake hose; not the metal lines. {big sigh}. So now, I have to replace that damn metal line since I cut it. Go figure!

You're supposed to keep that kind of stuff a secret. Just report the next day that you worked all night and got the lines replaced and everything works fine.:D

Bill

I've heard that's what happens when DOT 3 and DOT 5 get mixed together, is there any chance that happened?

chevyaddict said:
If they were that bad you would have screwed up the fittings anyway ;)
I guess I should have been a little clearer about doing the soft lines first.
look at the bright side you will be able to drive in complete confidence that your brakes will hold.:upthumbs
I use a little air saw I bought from Harbor frieght its a handy little saw.
00113.gif

and is on sale now for $20 the only thing origional in my 76 is the proportioning valve so don't feel bad and on putting it back up on the lift after a test ride I found a fuel line leak so those have to be replaced.
Old cars always something
Craig sr.

the flexible hoses can come apart inside and cause this problem. they can also cause a calipher to not release because they will not allow the fluid back thru the system after you release the brake. a friend had his corvette catch on fire because of this

motorman said:
the flexible hoses can come apart inside and cause this problem. they can also cause a calipher to not release because they will not allow the fluid back thru the system after you release the brake. a friend had his corvette catch on fire because of this

WOW! That's aweful! Yea, this car has been sitting for a long time so this isn't surprising really. I'm just so anxious to drive it and *thought* that I was going to take 'er for a spin yesterday! Parts ordered though so it will just have to wait one more week. :(

Oh, about the Dot3 and Dot5.... with the way this car has been messed with nothing would surprise me. Although the car is in great shape, there was some shortcuts that the prior owner did that I'm having to remedy. But that is what makes these projects fun!!! ;)

While you ar at it replace all of the rubber brake hoses.

Tom Bryant said:
While you ar at it replace all of the rubber brake hoses.

Absolutely!!! I'd bet that they are all the same age and they only last so long no matter how much use they get.

Brake lines

I just tonight let my 71 off the jackstands from replacing the hardlines, rubber lines and calipers all the way around. The only hardline I gave up on and left alone was the longline running from the proportioning valve to the rear. I got some of the line clip bolts out along the frame but the last 3 to the rear were between the frame and the body and were not going to come out without lifting the body off the frame. Has anyone successfully replaced this line with the body on and if so how the #!*? did you do it. I also went to DOT 5 brake fluid and now wondering if that was worth the hassle of flushing the whole system with about a gallon of denatured alcohol. Anybody else out there using DOT 5?

I just finished replacing all the lines with stainless ones. Yes, those clips are hard to egt out, but even harder to get back in. The line is a little hard to twist out and in, but it does go in. I went up to DOT 4 fluid.

Tom Pientowski said:
Has anyone successfully replaced this line with the body on and if so how the #!*? did you do it.

Tom,
I just replaced that line and it went pretty easy, I bought the prebent line from Corvette Central. When snaking it up past the trailing arm area you'll have to bend the long end in a big loop so you can turn it but it goes right in. A little hard to explain but it does go in without much pain at all.

Bill

Tom Pientowski said:
Has anyone successfully replaced this line with the body on and if so how the #!*? did you do it.

As Bill said its a PITA but do able on a lift I don't know if I would want to do it on jackstands though.

Repacing Hardlines

bossvette said:
As Bill said its a PITA but do able on a lift I don't know if I would want to do it on jackstands though.

PITA is putting it mildly. I couldn't get to the last 2-3 rear bolts that hold the clips/brakeline to the frame. They were between the frame and floorpan and I didn't have a wrench or any tool I could think of to get on the bolt to remove it. I did back one bolt out till the head was up against the floorpan, it was close to coming out but not enough room, this is where I gave up. My thought process was even if I got it out how would I get it back in. The original long line remains the only line I didn't replace, and yes, I was using jackstands. Maybe another day.

Tom Pientowski said:
I did back one bolt out till the head was up against the floorpan, it was close to coming out but not enough room, this is where I gave up. My thought process was even if I got it out how would I get it back in. The original long line remains the only line I didn't replace, and yes, I was using jackstands. Maybe another day.

A wise person once said, "we must pick and choose our battles".... that came to mind when I read this!!!! :upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom