Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Clutch Problem?

jimmers

Corvette
1990 Red Coupe 6 speed
Coming home today I got a weird grinding sound when I would push the clutch in to change gears. The shifter would also shake a bit. The noise would go away as soon as I let the clutch out. I got home and went through every gear on the driveway a few times. It only did it 3 times. I can shift without any issues, and the clutch pedal works as it should.
I tried it again about an hour later but it didn't happen. I drove the car around the block a few times and it was fine. Any ideas what is wrong? The clutch and tob was replaced 2 years ago.

Coming home today I got a weird grinding sound when I would push the clutch in to change gears. The shifter would also shake a bit. The noise would go away as soon as I let the clutch out. I got home and went through every gear on the driveway a few times. It only did it 3 times. I can shift without any issues, and the clutch pedal works as it should.
I tried it again about an hour later but it didn't happen. I drove the car around the block a few times and it was fine. Any ideas what is wrong? The clutch and tob was replaced 2 years ago.
Throw out bearing is going out!:thumb

I just went for another drive. For the first 20min it was fine, after that it happened a few times. It happens only when the clutch is pushed down.

Throw out bearing is going out!:thumb

I second this, if it only occurs when you push in the clutch it has to be the throw out bearing. If it where the pilot or input bearing it would do it with the clutch engaged.

I second this, if it only occurs when you push in the clutch it has to be the throw out bearing. If it where the pilot or input bearing it would do it with the clutch engaged.

It is my understanding that the throwout bearing is under light pressure and rotates at all times. Under load when disengaging the clutch it might make noise if it is going bad.
The pilot bearing or bushing can make ah awful noise when you release the clutch. How many miles since you had the throwout bearing replace.
After I did mine it was about 3,000 miles when the pilot bushings raised it's ugly head. The reason was that I had put grease on the input shaft where it rides in the pilot bushing. Turns out this is a no no. The grease dries out and tears up the pilot bushing. This may have been what happened to yours, in which case the shop that did the work should have to replace the pilot bushing. When inspected it is very obvious.So if you have them take it apart , be there to inspect the input shaft before they clean it off and destroy the evidence.

Something I forgot , because of this the bushing wears and it can cause the transmission to growl due to misalignment.

Glenn
:w

It is my understanding that a throw out bearing is a intermittent (sp) bearing and not a countinous one, It should not be engaged when the clutch is released fully, other wise your riding the clutch.

It is my understanding that a throw out bearing is a intermittent (sp) bearing and not a countinous one, It should not be engaged when the clutch is released fully, other wise your riding the clutch.

Have you ever worked on a dual mass flywheel clutch set up ? The throw out bearing is attached to the pressure plate.

Glenn
:w

No I haven't, worked on conventional type clutches only. Dual mass fly wheel clutches sound like dual problems to me , Good Luck with it.:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom