Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Clutch / Starter disable switch

bhickmott

Corvette
1977 L82 4spd Black / Buckskin
Does anyone happen to know the wire colors that go to this switch ?

Rather than try access the switch way up under the dash pedal area, if I can find the wires, I'll just tie them together.

Bill
1977 L82 4spd Black / Buckskin

Found the wires after a little probing around. One is solid purple the other is purple with a white trace. They are quite noticeable with a lot of length making them easy to work with and they are very heavy duty (looks like 10 gauge wire). Stripped off a couple of 1/2 inch lengths of insulation at a convenient spot on each wire and soldered them together. Works like a charm .... NO MORE DEPRESSING THE CLUTCH TO START THE CAR !!!!

Bill

Think hard about doing this...

Here's a post quoted from another forum that you might consider before your disable your clutch actuated starter safety switch:

Not recomended. I have heard many a story go bad on this. One in particular. Guy started up his car, owned it for many years and knew it inside and out. He had been working on the carbs, dual quad. Hit the key and it started wide open. He had one foot in the car other out. Car just laid rubber right through the back of the garage out heading into the woods. Luckily, if you can call it that a shelf above had a bucket of nuts and bolts. The engine ingested the nuts and blew on its way out the back into the woods. Ripped his foot almost off. he was out of commission for quite a while. To many bad stories on this. It is an easy fix for what could be a major disaster.
I have personal experience from several years ago when my daughter attempted to start a 4-speed VW while in 1st gear without depressing the clutch. Wasn't pretty, but fortunately there was little damage. Could easily have gone through the garage wall into the family room. I recently converted my 78 Vette from automatic to 5 speed, and made sure I included the clutch starter safety switch. Works fine.

Good Luck!
Jerry

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom