Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

News: Collapse at National Corvette Museum sends cars into sinkhole

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
Collapse at National Corvette Museum sends cars into sinkhole

Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 6:35 am | Updated: 8:27 am, Wed Feb 12, 2014.

By ROBYN L. MINOR
The Bowling Green Daily News

52fb849a0e84b.preview-300.jpg

A sinkhole opened up today beneath the National Corvette Museum and swallowed eight cars on display.

The Bowling Green Fire Department was on the scene this morning. The sinkhole opened under the dome part of the building.

"As it started happening, it triggered an alarm, so the security company called an employee," Museum Executive Director Wendell Strode said.

The alarm, which was triggered at 5:38 a.m., also resulted in a call to the fire department.

Strode has not been allowed into the collapsed area.

"It's about 20 feet deep. As best as I can see it is about as big as the pedestal area where we had the cars displayed," Strode said.

Full Story: Collapse at National Corvette Museum sends cars into sinkhole - Bowling Green Daily News: News

Attachments

• corvette-museum-sinkhole1.jpg
    corvette-museum-sinkhole1.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 447
  • BgSLk85CMAA_YCN.jpg large.jpg
    BgSLk85CMAA_YCN.jpg large.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 397
  • 1743717_664941916882524_1020454357_n-600x589.jpg
    1743717_664941916882524_1020454357_n-600x589.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 239
  • 52fbe0162bfbd.image.jpg
    52fbe0162bfbd.image.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 270
  • Admin
My daughter just sent me this link from CBS Detroit.......sounds unbelievable. :ugh

Sister and brother-in-law of our friends in our club have their 82 there on display. It's not listed as one of those lost as of yet. Hope they don't lose any more. I wonder who has liability for those cars? Probably most are irreplaceable. Sad.

Ron
"Baldie88"

• Admin
Two of the Corvettes damaged: a 1993 ZR-1 Spyder and a 2009 ZR1 on loan from General Motors.

The other six Corvettes are owned by the NCM and include a 1962 Black Corvette, 1984 PPG Pace Car, 1992 White 1-Millionth Corvette, 1993 Ruby Red 40th Anniversary Corvette, 2001 Mallett Hammer Z06 Corvette and a 2009 White 1.5 Millionth Corvette.

6 were museum cars, 2 on loan from GM. One could assume they are heavily insured. Here's hoping they can be saved and repaired.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sister and brother-in-law of our friends in our club have their 82 there on display. It's not listed as one of those lost as of yet. Hope they don't lose any more. I wonder who has liability for those cars? Probably most are irreplaceable. Sad.

Ron
"Baldie88"

Liability and insurance is the Lender's responsibility. Basically GM is on the hook for their cars. NCM is on the hook for theirs. One assumes that NCM has insurance on them. If any other cars are damaged then the owners of those cars should have insurance on them.

Smart owners would add the NCM as additional Insured to their policy as it helps with liability and makes sure the Insurance Co. is aware of the car's location and who is handling them.

Sinkhole - very sad. :ugh

Attachments

• DSC_1259.jpg
    DSC_1259.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 178
  • DSC_1250.jpg
    DSC_1250.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 175
At least the timing was good. No one in the area at the time. Sad sight, but could have been worse.

sinkhole

May we please have a moment of silence for our wounded Vettes. May they soon be on the road to recovery.

Very saddened...

I can't believe how saddened I am about this! My stomach turned :pukewhen I read the quick news email, and now seeing the pictures just makes me feel all weird inside. Seeing them down in that pit..... Yikes. I was just there two summers ago! I hope they are repairable but I would bet the ones that are buried with others on top are going to be tough to get out of there without further damage. :ugh Very sad indeed. :cry

In-freaking-credible... :ugh

My first impulse was to wonder if this was an early April Fool's joke...

Mac

Couldn't believe it when I heard about it. WOW! Terrible! Just glad no one was hurt.

Newsletter from the National Corvette Museum regarding sink hole.

I just received this from the National Corvette Museum:
NCM Website Here: http://www.corvettemuseum.org/

Share this email!

<tbody>
</tbody>
enewsheader2.jpg

<tbody>
</tbody>
SPECIAL EDITION

<tbody>
</tbody>
Sinkhole Collapses in Skydome
We received a call at 5:44am from our security company alerting us of our motion detectors going off in our Skydome area of the Museum. Upon arrival it was discovered that a sinkhole had collapsed within the Museum. No one was in or around the Museum at the time. The Bowling Green Fire Department arrived on the scene and secured the area. The Fire Department has estimated the size of the hole is 40 feet across and 25-30 feet deep.​
It is with heavy hearts that we report that eight Corvettes were affected by this incident.​
Those cars include:​

• [*=left]1993 ZR-1 Spyder on loan from General Motors
    [*=left]2009 ZR1 “Blue Devil” on loan from General Motors
The other six vehicles were owned by the National Corvette Museum including:​

• [*=left]1962 Black Corvette
    [*=left]1984 PPG Pace Car
    [*=left]1992 White 1 Millionth Corvette
    [*=left]1993 Ruby Red 40th Anniversary Corvette
    [*=left]2001 Mallett Hammer Z06 Corvette
    [*=left]2009 White 1.5 Millionth Corvette
None of the cars affected were on loan from individuals. The Skydome exhibit area of the Museum is a separate structure connected to the main Museum. A structural engineer is now on-site to assess the existing damage and stability of the surrounding areas. The Museum is closed to the public for the day to allow us to carefully assess the situation. We will keep everyone informed as we know more.​
With the 20th Anniversary celebration, Grand Opening of the NCM Motorsports Park, and the National Corvette Caravan coming August 27-30, we’ve got a lot to be excited about in 2014, and look forward to getting the Skydome repaired and reopened very soon.​
Thanks to all of our Corvette friends and family for you words of prayer and support.​
DSC_1250.jpg

DSC_1259.jpg

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>
© Copyright National Corvette Museum 2014
350 Corvette Drive
Bowling Green, KY 42101
1 800 53 VETTE (83883)​

<tbody>
</tbody>

d4693a3b48ea9d993947229f28c3afba-ci.gif

Last edited:
Damn! I can't believe it! I sat in that area for dinner numerous times during Z06 fests. What a shame.

Are the cars recoverable? How much damage was there to these cars? I haven't heard or seen the answers to those questions. Also it looks like there are other cars which might be susceptible to more of the floor collapsing. Hopefully they can get those cars out. This, obviously, isn't a good thing.:ugh

Are the cars recoverable? How much damage was there to these cars? I haven't heard or seen the answers to those questions. Also it looks like there are other cars which might be susceptible to more of the floor collapsing. Hopefully they can get those cars out. This, obviously, isn't a good thing.:ugh
From what I have heard so far, the other vehicles not in the hole have been removed from part of the building.

The GM prototypes and 62 and 93 probably could be repaired/restored. As for the 1M and 1.5M Vettes these were as built off the production line, they can only be that way once....

Very sad.

Mike

this sucks

I have not been on here for a while and this is a tough month for me....I wish I did not hear about those beautiful cars getting damaged. this absolutely sucks.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom