Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Control arm bushings - How can such a small part make such a BIG difference?

LT4man

Corvette
96 Collectors Edition LT4
I have 85,000 miles on my 96 CE Coupe LT4 w/ RTD suspension. One of my front upper control arm bushings finally deteriorated. GM no longer makes OEM bushings and I did not find any OEM bushings in the aftermarket. So, I investigated the poly bushings which are available.

Settled on Vette Brakes and Products poly bushings. Their development of these bushings impressed me. Their design allows the upper control arm to actually pivot more freely than the OEM rubber bushing setup. I did both sides (to have the same style bushings) and upper ball joints. Both of my upper ball joints were still good except for torn dust boots. Being they are riveted in place, I chose to install the VB&P ball joints at the same time.

Finished the job tonite and took the beast for a drive. WHAT a DIFFERENCE! The handling is more precise. They told me I would experience better handling. The kicker is this: When I drove over some railroad tracks I was not ready for the smoothness of the ride! The arms are moving more and letting the other suspension pieces do their job.

I am so pleased with VB&P's product. Equally thrilled with their customer service, shipping & tech department. I am TOTALLY satisfied with the professionalism of the company.

Wish I had done this a long time ago. Am now looking to replace my front lower control arm bushings to take advantage of their technology.

Driving my Vette tonite was like driving it for the first time in April 1996. What a blast! :upthumbs

SAVE THE WAVE! :w

Yes such a small part can make a world of difference! With the rubber bushings the rubber "flexes" inside the arm, and the arm can actually move around radially, with the poly bushings it won't do that...in other words the suspension moves relative to the car, not the bushing. This is why you will get a LOT of "squeaking" with poly if they're not lubricated properly (I added some powdered graphite to the silicone grease, and installed grease fittings). When I was searching for poly bushings I ran across a cool little video that showed a little animation of the difference...wish I'd saved that.

Bill

makes you wnder why the guys at bowling green don't put them in? they were around for your 1996 vette.
a few years back when i replace all mine on my 1974 vette it made a world of diff too!!

lt4man said:
The handling is more precise.
After having the poly and heim joints in my '84 for decades, that relative looseness kept me out of a ZR-1. My car stays 'set' in corners, even with road irregularities. Now, I can feel improvement in the suspension when I periodically lube the poly.

I recall the poly-only added as an option in the mid-90s? :w

WhalePirot said:
I recall the poly-only added as an option in the mid-90s? :w

I do not remember "poly" being an option on my '92, '94 or '96.

I think GM left that upgrade to the aftermarket.

I could be mistaken. Wouldn't be the FIRST time! :L

SAVE THE WAVE! :w

I thought Chevy had started to offer three suspension options, one with poly bushings. Maybe not.

Any more, I sometimes forget where I left my memory. :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom