Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Coolant Bypass

Trance_LT4

Corvette
Red 96 LT4 coupe
I recently ordered the "throttle body coolant bypass" and discovered it to be a waste. #1 it didn't fit right (one side was too large to fit either hose end) #2 the modification didn't require any kit at all. The hose that runs from the area at the top/right of the radiator over to the left side of the throttle body can be routed directly to the metal coolant piping that feeds from the back of the intake manifold to the right side of the throttle body.

A screw- type clamp works to secure the hose to the metal piping alot better than the stock clamp does, but other than that its a free modification. This eliminates hot coolant flowing through your throttle body, which unnecessarily heats up your air.

The original purpose of coolant in your throttle-body is to keep your butterflys from freezing up and sticking, but the throttle body feels enough heat from the intake manifold that this isn't a problem. I performed this mod a week ago, and the coolant is flowing fine, tempuratures are where they should be, and everything is working as it should.

I don't think this mod will give any real performance gain, but every little bit adds up. If I make it to the track again before I do any more mods, I'll post the differences.

Yup, I did mine a few weeks ago, this will also allow you to remove the TB without having to drain coolant.

Trance

I did mine over a year ago! I justed used a piece of hardware store brass pipe. (85, L 98) During the summer when your engine is running 200 degs and you can put your hand on the upper plenum and it is only 100 deg you will know that it is making a difference. Remember,,, for every 10 degrees decrease in air temp you gain 1% of your total HP. Free HP is GREAT :)

I think that it will make a difference when the outside temp starts to climb and the guy next to you has his connected!!!

Have any of you had any problems with this setup in the winter months? It's a bit colder up here in the winter, and wondering if it will be a problem to bypass the coolant to the throttle body. Even if the throttle body did ice up does anyone know what the consequences of that are.

Well, being that its winter at the moment, and I have had no problems with it........no. It gets pretty cold here as well, since I'm right by the Chesapeake Bay. It got down below freezing last night in fact. My garden hose was frozen, and the kbob was stuck shut, but my car started right up, and I drove off after a 5 minute warmup (my standard for every morning).

That's what I wanted to hear! I think I'll bypass my TB and see what it does for performance. It's been pretty cold up here also, and then we have also had 65 degree days in the middle of this past February, usually February is the coldest month around here 20 degree or so, very unusual but I'll take it.

coolant bypass

I just did mine last week, your right, my kit was also the wrong size on one end and I ended up just hacksawing the larger end off and then connecting the two lines together. By the way you can get the same kit on ebay for about $8.00 bucks as oppose to the one from breathless performance that I paid $19.00 for.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom