Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Video: Corvette ZR1 posts 205 mph top speed

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
AWESOME in-car video of the 2009 ZR1 hitting 205 mph! :upthumbs
------------------------------------------------------------------

By: Tadge J. Juechter
Corvette Chief Engineer

I know many of you are interested in the latest details on the new Corvette ZR1. We’ve been working on the car for a while now and recently, we decided to put the pedal to the metal and see just how fast it could go.

On a cool day with light wind in early April, the Corvette Development Engineering team took it to the test track in Papenburg, Germany. The ZR1, with its 638 horsepower supercharged LS9 V-8 engine, clocked in at a staggering 205 miles an hour (330 km/h). We’re thrilled with the results and excited for it to hit the streets. We even brought a camera along for the ride to document our experience. Check out the video posted below.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

http://vettetube.com/view_video.php?viewkey=0ade50f74a3f0ca981ed

Ohh yes! That sound will forever be stuck in my head. She purrs with great voice. Thank you Chevrolet! But I am wondering why is there no gear changes to get to the speed?

• Admin
From Edmunds InsideLine:

PAPENBURG, Germany — Close on the heels of announcing its official 638-horsepower rating, GM released a video of the 2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 making a certified 205-mph top-speed run in Papenburg, Germany.

Luke Sewell, a powertrain engineer on the Corvette platform team, told Inside Line that Patrick Herrmann, a European engineer, was behind the wheel during the top-speed run. Sewell says Herrmann isn't part of the Corvette team, but that he's certified to drive the ATP Papenburg course.

Sewell said he himself spent time in the 2009 ZR1's right seat during the testing, and that the vehicle used was an "integration" vehicle, a mule, that was different from a production car only in that it was equipped with a roll cage and instrumentation for monitoring speed, cooling temps and such.

The Corvette team performed at least nine runs, testing various small changes in terms of coolant "content." The 205 number is an average of runs in both directions (to cancel out the effect of wind). As if 205 mph isn't enough to set your hair on fire, Sewell says the ZR1 topped out at 208 mph with a tailwind. After close scrutiny of the video, we're confident the readout hits at least 207 mph around the 1:30 mark. Unfortunately, the certification process uses the average of multiple runs, so 208 is not the final quotable figure.

Chevy first performed Corvette ZR1 top-speed testing at its proving grounds in Milford, Michigan but the track there was not long enough, and there wasn't enough banking in the turns to maintain a high enough speed. GM also top-speeded the Z06 at Papenburg before it was introduced.

As for occasional traffic on the Papenburg circuit, Sewell says the track is rented to whoever wants it, which is why you see another car and a semitruck on the track at different times during the 1-minute, 54-second video that was shot in early April.

"Things are a little different in Europe. Here we'd close down the whole thing for a top-speed run," says Sewell.

How was it to see that semi looming in the distance, we ask? "Definitely interesting," says Sewell.

What this means to you: They had us at 205. — Daniel Pund, Senior Editor, Detroit and Kelly Toepke, News Editor

But I am wondering why is there no gear changes to get to the speed?

There was one gear change. Unlike other 6-speed tranny Corvettes which hit their highest speed in 5th gear, the ZR1 hits its highest speed in 6th gear. If you watch the video again, he shifts into 6th at the 25 second mark.

The King has definately returned! Now they just need to bring it full circle and do a 24hr high speed endurance run to take the record back from VW.

Jason:v

• Admin
There was one gear change. Unlike other 6-speed tranny Corvettes which hit their highest speed in 5th gear, the ZR1 hits its highest speed in 6th gear. If you watch the video again, he shifts into 6th at the 25 second mark.
Actually, I could be wrong, but I thought there was two gear changes from the time he turned to the passenger and confirmed the go ahead.

That means, he would have been in fourth gear, shifted to fifth and then to sixth.

It is most interesting to me that the Ring run showed a top speed of 177 mph. And when it occurred you could see the car accelerate in 5th and shift to 6th with room to further accelerate but it didn't (couldn't) as it basically held its rpm and mph for several long seconds.

Look for it on the Ring Video on the long back straight approaching the start finish line.

That would indicate to me that we had major downforce difference between the Ring ZR1 and the Top Speed ZR1.

Perry

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom