Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! crankshaft damper

Corvette
white 69 spec. convertor lockup on manual switch
do i need to heat the crankshaft balancer to remove it. its a pro street steel unit . i have the corect puller. need to get it off to change the cam ?

You need a puller for this. and sometimes a special tool to pull the new one on the crank, I have used a hardned bolt, but that is not the best way to do it, some bang them on with a BFH, but that is not the correct way either.

778-66514_1.jpg

http://www.jegs.com/i/Proform/778/66514/10002/-1

life is SOOOO MUCH easier if you buy and use the correct tools:upthumbs

yes the damper needs to come off for a cam swap, did you remove BOTH the damper/crank bolt AND the thick washer that holds the damper on the crank snout,that the bolt holds ?
if you just removed the bolt and are trying to remove the damper with the washer still in place the problems rather obvious

washer came of with bolt. just that i remember having to heat it up to put it on. whent on mutch easyer. as per instructions that came with the balancer. thanks for replys. howard

Unless the aftermarket manufacturer's instructions specifically recommend it, DO NOT use heat to remove the balancer. That usually damages the balancer.

DO NOT use a hammer to replace it. You will damage the balancer and the rear main bearing which takes the thrust in a Gen 1 and Gen 2 SBV8s.

I suggest not using a simple bolt to "pull" the balancer on. If you insist on that, do not reuse the bolt or the washers used to pull the balancer on as the fasteners which permanently attach the balancer after it's seated on the crank snout.

To remove the balancer, use a puller intended to remove harmonic dampers. Don't confuse that with a "steering wheel puller".

To install the balancer, use one of the ball-bearing equipped damper installer tools.

Using those proper tools you will insure no damage to the balancer, the rear main bearing or the threads inside the crank snout during removal and replacement.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom