Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Damn Stupid Move On Drivers's Seat-Vinyl Repair

paul67

Corvette
1974 convertible
Yes, I sat down on my driver's seat with a slot-head screwdriver there about three days ago. Nice move! That punctured my prisitine vinyl new seat covers. I can't kick the cat as she was not around and the Wife....well...she kicks back. I had visions of trying to get a new seat cushion from the USA and the like. Trying to match colours, etc.

vinyl010.jpg

I played with that $10.00 repair stuff from a local automotive store. But that was an exercise in futility. So I called some buddies at a local GM dealer and they recommended a mobile repair service. He was here today and this is the result. Nice job. Vinyl can be repaired! I am happy as a p** in s***. Nice work and only $60US.

vinyl015.jpg

You replied before you saw the end result. I am slow on pics.

Bob,
The local guy was good. My thoughts of trying to find a seat bottom at Corvette America (plus shipping, PST, GST, brokerage, colour match) gave me nightmares. I will sleep tonight.

Put the car to sleep for tonight. Rain predicted for all this week. But getting ready for Canada Day!

vinyl018.jpg

Sorry for your troubles.

looks great now.

I have done things like that also, its always easy to forgive some one else for something like that, but when its something that I did to my self I constantly beat myself up about it.

I guess what I am trying to say is forgive and forget.

life is great (but short)

It's a small local company that does most of its business with new car dealerships. People, as I, have bad moments with spills, tears, cigarette burns, etc. Vinyl, leather, or cloth. The nice feature is that they come to you (or the dealership). That repair was done in my driveway and took about 45 minutes. You pay for that convenience, of course, but I was happy to ante up. That bone-headed move was driving me crazy. The tear was very small and few would notice. But I did. Over and over.

Very impressive repair. I have wondered how well vinyl repirs turned out and that looks close to perfect to me. :upthumbs

I felt your pain:mad but the repair looks fantastic. :D I've got to agree with you on the do-it-yourself repair kits. They are not worth the trouble. Better to go with a good pro.

Very nice repair. Everytime I go to put a tool in my back pocket I think twice and say no.

Cool! I didn't know this sort of thing could be done. The vinyl on my 81 door panels are perfect except for one similar little "slit" in them. I'll certainly have to look around here in Tucson and see who can do the same work!

Yes, just one little bad moment when working under the dash and...there it is: the vinyl covering award for the stupidity-challenged.

Bonehead move number two! I have been using Meguiar's Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner with good success in my interior. I like the product and yesterday went shopping for a replacement bottle. I noticed Meguiar's Natural Shine Vinyl & Rubber Protectant and thought I would try it instead. Not a good move. It was fine (if too glossy) on most of the seats but where the repair was done it lifted the pigment/dye and whatever sealer the repair people used. I was getting little balls of brown pigment/goo on the rag. The hole repair itself is unaltered but the colouring is now off. I cleaned off the area with soap and water to get the protectant off and used the cleaner/conditioner to get back the right sheen. It still looks very nice and the average person would not notice, but being anal retentive I am going to call the company back on Monday and get the job re-done. Live and learn. And stay with products that work for you.

Paul,don't beet yourself up. Things happen. I've done everything wrong in life sometimes twice because I couldn't believe I did it wrong the first time.You'll be fine and the car loves you. -Steve

Thanks Steve. I head out for a show 40 miles away tomorrow 8:15am. I am not into trophies and the like but I do like things "right." This is but a minor glitch and I should be thankful. The car is pretty, tuned up and ready to go.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom