Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Dealer dropped my C5 off lift -- need advice

• Thread starter Thread starter TheBlueVette
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know where Stewart's came up with the $17,300 figure. Around here NADA average trade-in is $19500. and average retail is $22,500 for a '97 with 40k miles and glass top as the only cost adding option. Looks to me that they are thinking that even if you don't take the car after repairs they will get it for wholesale and still turn a profit on the thing.

Here's a thought. Ken, this must be sucking a ton of bandwidth. Charge each view $.05 and give half the proceeds to barnetdh. His car should be paid for in no time. The rest will pay for the extra bandwidth this thread is sucking up. :upthumbs

CobraKilla said:
Hold the bus! Since it's your car you can have it fixed anywhere you want. That way you can get another estimate that would possibly total the car. I'd be taking it somewhere that wasn't so close to Stewart's Chevrolet. I've had good luck with Crown Chevrolet in Dublin for bodywork, or there is always Toy Werks in Concord. It's your car you can get it fixed anywhere you want get more esitmates, ask a shop to total it or something.
What he said.

Tom Bryant said:
I don't know where Stewart's came up with the $17,300 figure. Around here NADA average trade-in is $19500. and average retail is $22,500 for a '97 with 40k miles and glass top as the only cost adding option. Looks to me that they are thinking that even if you don't take the car after repairs they will get it for wholesale and still turn a profit on the thing.
Are you thinking Stewarts would try to sell this car at full retail after being dropped off a lift?

Did anyone consider calling OSHA and disclosing what happened with the Vette on the defective lift? This dealership, or any so call professional place of business must supply safe operating equipment for there employees to use at all times. They may be interested in Stewarts neglect to maintain such a piece of machinery especially when someone’s life more then likely has been hanging by a thread underneath who knows how many vehicles while in that condition. Just a thought.

If it looks good, why not? Carfax won't show it was dropped. I can't see any salesman running out to someone looking at it on the lot and blurting out "that car was dropped off of a lift". I doubt they would say anything if the customer didn't notice a problem. Even then you can bet they would play down the damage. Probably just say the fender needed repainted but it's "good as new" now.

Of course they might send it to the auction and still clear a small profit. It's buyer beware there for sure.

barnetdh said:
Are you thinking Stewarts would try to sell this car at full retail after being dropped off a lift?
I sure am. Consider how unprofessional and unethical that Stewart has acted so far. Why would anyone expect Stewart to do anything but try to sell your car at full retail price after the repairs. I would never even consider buying a used car from a dealer. I cannot even begin to count how many haphazardly fixed wrecks that I have seen on dealer lots over the years, with the story always being the same and the salesman boldly proclaiming that the car has never been in an accident or damaged. Total B.S. then. Most certainly total B.S. now. Stewart is being particularly despicable in this case by having destroyed your car and now trying its best to screw you out of thousands of dollars. My sincere apology if this is coming across the wrong way; but I would very strongly recommend that you stop being a nice guy and look out for number one. Stewart obviously does not give a rat's behind about you, your car, your continued business, the publicity, or their reputation. The only thing that Stewart is worried about is making a quick buck however possible, no matter how low they have to stoop. I continue to wish you the best of luck. This whole thing bothers me a great deal, especially since so many people nowadays seem too immoral to do the right thing. I think it is time to fight back and insist that Stewart do the right thing.

Pete

barnetdh said:
Of course they will!!! What do you expect? That they will announce to everyone that has interest in the car "Here is a very good deal. Our service department dropped it off of the lift during an oil change and we have fixed it good as new!!"

It will go for retail! And they will sell it at retail. The title will be clear and they do not have to tell a sole about the damage. If the insurance company totaled the car it would at least have a salvage title.

Man they are not only going to get out of buying you a new car but they are going make money on the sell of yours!!

Just hire a lawyer and dispense with all the BS. I am telling you that a lawyer will get you what you are looking for.

Your car your decision.

Trent81

slong said:
Did anyone consider calling OSHA and disclosing what happened with the Vette on the defective lift? This dealership, or any so call professional place of business must supply safe operating equipment for there employees to use at all times. They may be interested in Stewarts neglect to maintain such a piece of machinery especially when someone’s life more then likely has been hanging by a thread underneath who knows how many vehicles while in that condition. Just a thought.

Slong,

That issue was brought up but because no one was killed or injured; OHSa won't really look much into it. :(

barnetdh said:

I would have no doubt they would try that.

They just gave you some BS number about how much it would cost to repair it. I would think that number is inflated and that's not how much it would cost for their body shop to fix it. I know they don't own it, but they are business partners in a capacity. It's all a big conspiracy that worked against you.

They're lying out of their arses and will do it again and again until someone finally puts them in their place. Bad publicity hasn't put them in their place. Do you know how many people have seen and read this thread? They don't seem to care; maybe they're arrogant enough to think that they can get over it.

Hell, if I lived out there; I would go to Stewarts on my day off and put one of their salespersons through a scenario where they'd think I'd be buying. Then I'd say, "Aren't you the guys who dropped that guys' Vette' off a lift and screwed him? I'm not buying from you!" :L :L :L

barnetdh said:

That is exactly what they are going to do. And they'll lie and say it was a trade-in.

This just in from KGO

Thank you for contacting 7 On Your Side. you will be
hearing from us with in a few hours or days. We read and
respond to every e-mail sent to us. Please note, we are
the 7 On Your Side Unit in the San Francisco Bay Area and
cannot forward your messages to 7 On Your Side units in Los
Angeles, Chicago, New York or any other city.

Erik S. Klein said:
Also:

The Action Line (San Jose Mercury News) - actionline@mercurynews.com or call 1-888 688-6400.

I'm sure the San Francisco Chronical has a similar column/service.
Thanks, Erik - I sent the info to Action Line. I also sent this to the Chronicle, but haven't heard back yet.

- Dave

VETTEX2 said:
I agree. Getting the media involved would probably scare that dealership more than this forum will. They probably figure since this is a world wide web, that only a small percentage of the people posting on this forum are in their localized area. As mentioned in a previous post in this thread, I believe you have to make sure that everything you claim can be backed up by proof, or they may be able to get you for slander. Not too sure about this though. Either way, I still think that this would really change the attitudes and actions of the people at the dealership.

I just spent over 2 hours going through 36 pages on this thread. I even joined this forum so I could put in my 2 cents. I found this thread posted on my normal forum over on Z06VETTE.COM.
I have found lots of good advise posted by other forum memebers, But I have to say whatever you do...."DO NOT TAKE THAT CAR BACK AS REPAIRED!!!!!"
This is what would happen. They claim the car is as good as new, that is, until the first thing you find broken or wrong. Now just look at what this dealership has done to you now, can you imagine going back to get something they didn`t fix repaired. I can see it now.. "No, that wasn`t broken when it fell".
No matter what, you know the car will never be the same, and once you take it back as fixed, your double screwed. In this state(NJ) we have no fault which in that case i would have gotten the value of my car from my insurance and let them sue the dealership. I don`t know Ca. I would take the money even at a loss, than be unhappy with a bent up vette. They are never the same after something like this.
At this point I`d say go for the throat.BTW, "DO NOT have it fixed at that body shop. Find another one in the area and have them have a good look at it.Here AAA will tow it once up to 50 miles to a shop.
One more possible option is take the money then sue them in small claims court for the other $5,000 since that is the max there.
I wish you the best from NJ. After over 62,000 hits some new agency should have picked this story up by now.
Another thing. It doesn`t surprise me that GM washed their hands of this. Hell, we can`t even get our engines fixed(2001/Z06) without fighting city hall. And this is even with a known fault with them recognized by GM.
Vettes are probably a very small percentage of their sales so whatever this foum says they are probably it blowing off. A news camera on the front door would do a LOT more. A supposed rag newspaper saved my son when they tried to cut off his meds(for a transplant) and got a state senator involved.
Me, I`d say screw it and sue. There has to be some lawyer here that owns a vette.
Whatever happens I hope the best for you, but just don`t take that car back. It would be a decision you`d soon regret.
MArk

MarkDM53 said:
I just spent over 2 hours going through 36 pages on this thread. I even joined this forum so I could put in my 2 cents. I found this thread posted on my normal forum over on Z06VETTE.COM.
I have found lots of good advise posted by other forum memebers, But I have to say whatever you do...."DO NOT TAKE THAT CAR BACK AS REPAIRED!!!!!"
This is what would happen. They claim the car is as good as new, that is, until the first thing you find broken or wrong. Now just look at what this dealership has done to you now, can you imagine going back to get something they didn`t fix repaired. I can see it now.. "No, that wasn`t broken when it fell".
No matter what, you know the car will never be the same, and once you take it back as fixed, your double screwed. In this state(NJ) we have no fault which in that case i would have gotten the value of my car from my insurance and let them sue the dealership. ...

Whatever happens I hope the best for you, but just don`t take that car back. It would be a decision you`d soon regret.
MArk
Thanks, Mark -- I'm very inclined to agree with you.

I researched the insurance bit with my own insurance, and they specifically exclude loss of resale value due to accident in a claim. I even found a friendly adjuster at my insurance company who warned me that anything that wasn't caught and fixed in the initial repair would not be under warranty.

I've discussed this with a few lawyers, but most want the $$$$, which would eat into my down payment for my next vette. If this were a case in which there was an injury or significant punitive damages, I couls arrange a contingency fee, and not be out of pocket. I would be very interested in an attorney with a passion for C5's, if I could find one.

- Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom