Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Did it Again ! 3 Qt's of Oil on the Ground

C

CAJUN C4

Guys

Can someone tell me what wuold happen if the Oil Pump Relief Valve Stuck Closed or Partially Closed.
We suspect that's what's causing my "Oil Gush out of the oil filter" problem.
Grumpy ?

Guys

Can someone tell me what wuold happen if the Oil Pump Relief Valve Stuck Closed or Partially Closed.
We suspect that's what's causing my "Oil Gush out of the oil filter" problem.
Grumpy ?

If it is coming out of the top of the oil filter, (where it mates to the engine), I have seen where an oil filter broke when it was replaced and left a small threaded ring behind that prevented the new filter from tightening up and causing the oil to leak.

Tom

If it is coming out of the top of the oil filter, (where it mates to the engine), I have seen where an oil filter broke when it was replaced and left a small threaded ring behind that prevented the new filter from tightening up and causing the oil to leak.

Tom
Your correct Tom...That's what I thought at first.But,no it wasn't the problem.

How about your PCV valve, if you open the the oil filler while the engine is running do you feel excessive pressure? this blow-by could be from a few different sources, but is usually from the engine not venting.
How does the engine run? you could possibly have a blown head gasket, leaking compressioin into the block. Only speculation, has it over heated recently, or have you been racing. I would look at the simplist first.
Hope this helps.
Tom

Is this on your 84 or 96??

The oil filter adapter face where the oil filter mounts should be smooth with no nicks, scratches, or cracks. Pull the filter and inspect the flat area to make sure it's in good shape. You should be able to remove the adapter by removing the two bolts on either side of the threaded shaft. There should be a seal and gasket between the adapter assembly and the block.

Are you puttng a light film of oil on the rubber gasket when you install it? That help to tighten the filter down (3/4 turn past where the gasket contacts the surface) and should be more than enough to seal at that point.

Is ther any indication of leakage from the oil temperature sender that's right above the filter housing? Excessive oil pressure from a bad relief valve may have cracked the sensor housing.

Is this on your 84 or 96??

The oil filter adapter face where the oil filter mounts should be smooth with no nicks, scratches, or cracks. Pull the filter and inspect the flat area to make sure it's in good shape. You should be able to remove the adapter by removing the two bolts on either side of the threaded shaft. There should be a seal and gasket between the adapter assembly and the block.

Are you puttng a light film of oil on the rubber gasket when you install it? That help to tighten the filter down (3/4 turn past where the gasket contacts the surface) and should be more than enough to seal at that point.

Is ther any indication of leakage from the oil temperature sender that's right above the filter housing? Excessive oil pressure from a bad relief valve may have cracked the sensor housing.

It's My 84'
We suspect a bad relief valve on the Oil Pump sticking at times that's why this is only the 2nd time it's done it. What is so puzzling is that it ran flawlessly for over 3 years and now this high oil pressure issue.I'm pulling off the filter tonight and will report tomorrow. Still can't figure out why my Hyd. Lifters clatter for a couple minutes in the morning when first cranked up even with over 50 Psi Oil Pressure.Lifters are leaking down some how.I wonder if related to the Oil Pump l?

Well,must have been a helluva pressure build up.The gasket just blew out of my Mobil 1 filter.We are 99% sure it's a faulty oil pump relief valve.

Check your oil cooler it may be plugged somehow. If the lifters are clattering at start up they are not getting oil. So I am wondering why, or you have 2 problems. Relief in the pump is normally closed evcept cold weather and hi rpm. Not sure I buy that being stuck. Try a different brand oil filter, like an AC.

Guys ...I think the mystery is solved. Last night we took off the Mobil 1 filter and it did have a gasket blown out.Well, Last year when my original lifters started to make noise (because they were getting weak) In did a very stupid thing. I put in my oil a quart of Lucas Thick oil additive.Shortly after is when my filter leaking gasket blowing problem started. I didn't put 2 & 2 together until today.While cleanig up the drain pan from last night I looked inside the oil filter and was shocked...Inside I stuck in my finger and the oil is like jello...I mean gook...I dumped some of it in the pan and boy it's like Jello.No wonder the filters are blowing out..no filter in the world could pass this stuff especially when cold and that's when my problems occured.
I'd go back to Lucas but I can't prove it was there additive.Well,I'm gonna drop the pan and clean it out i feel strong that this is my problem. I should have known better to add anything to my oil especially Mobil 1. Makes sense...Lifters clatter when cold because that gook can't lubricate them...I've learned a big lesson.
Does it sound like I'm on the right Track?
Thanx guys for all your advice & ideas.

What is the temp outside there. Might be a reaction to the mixture of oil and additive.

Boy, does it ever! maybe the Lucas additive isnt compatible with synthetic oil.
Wow you could have dumped your engine.

When an engine (marine - seawater) goes under water, they drain the oil, fill it
with kerosene, (disable the ignition!) crank the engine, dump the kerosine, fill it again with kero, crank it through (see if it's nice & clean) new filter, oil change, start engine, run it for a few minutes, do another oil change.
I would definitely want that S#*t out of my engine JMOP.
and I would look for other opinions on cleaning out your engine.

Tom

I just can,t help but wonder WHY it took so long to pull the filter, check the adapter and clean out and check the oil pan when that was suggested several times by several people, early on, seems that pulling the filter , replacing the oil and filter, checking the adapter and checking for obvious leak sources would be the very first thing to do on day one

I just can,t help but wonder WHY it took so long to pull the filter, check the adapter and clean out and check the oil pan when that was suggested several times by several people, early on, seems that pulling the filter , replacing the oil and filter, checking the adapter and checking for obvious leak sources would be the very first thing to do on day one

Sorry Grumpy & guys ....I guess I was burned out...thanx to you and the guys I feel alot better.Should I do the Kerosene flush are just fill with fesh oil and filter & change once a week for a month or so?

Boy, does it ever! maybe the Lucas additive isnt compatible with synthetic oil.
Wow you could have dumped your engine.

When an engine (marine - seawater) goes under water, they drain the oil, fill it
with kerosene, (disable the ignition!) crank the engine, dump the kerosine, fill it again with kero, crank it through (see if it's nice & clean) new filter, oil change, start engine, run it for a few minutes, do another oil change.
I would definitely want that S#*t out of my engine JMOP.
and I would look for other opinions on cleaning out your engine.

Tom
Thanx Tom...I'll do it.

personally ID pull the pan and claen everything I could reach AFTER flushing the upper engine with a few gallons of deisel fuel BEFORE refilling the cleaned oil pan and new filter with cheap oil then running the engine for a few hours and change the oil filter and oil again to remove the remaining crud trapped in that SLIME

personally ID pull the pan and claen everything I could reach AFTER flushing the upper engine with a few gallons of deisel fuel BEFORE refilling the cleaned oil pan and new filter with cheap oil then running the engine for a few hours and change the oil filter and oil again to remove the remaining crud trapped in that SLIME

This thread is interesting. I've long suspected that all these oil additives do zero good and probably some harm - they make you feel like you did something good for your engine but how you feel doesn't make the engine run better. As a teenager, I used to put STP in my engine. It was probably a big waste of money.

Even oil with nothing added can form sludge and wreck an engine. I think one of the import manufacturers is facing a class action suit over this issue.

While the pan is off I would check #2 or #3 rod bearing. I would think the motor was oil starved and those are the first two bearings to show wear. If there is wear now would be the time to freshen the motor before it destroys it self.

I'd go back to Lucas but I can't prove it was there additive.Well,I'm gonna drop the pan and clean it out i feel strong that this is my problem. I should have known better to add anything to my oil especially Mobil 1. Makes sense...Lifters clatter when cold because that gook can't lubricate them...I've learned a big lesson.
Does it sound like I'm on the right Track?
Thanx guys for all your advice & ideas.
I doubt it's the Lucas Products!!! I'd be Looking for a very,very small amount of anti-freeze getting into the oil!!(usually intake gasket,or head) I've seen this before and it don't take much!!! On all types of engines!!!
Oil turns to Black or Brown Snot, Crap and Carbon settles to bottom of pan and Looks and Feels Like Molly Wheel Baring Grease!!!!!!(Nasty,Slimy,Sludge):upthumbs

I do not believe antifreeze or water. That would not turn the oil to jello. It would make it milky and thin, not jello. And for sure would require new bearings.

I doubt it's the Lucas Products!!! I'd be Looking for a very,very small amount of anti-freeze getting into the oil!!(usually intake gasket,or head) I've seen this before and it don't take much!!! On all types of engines!!!
Oil turns to Black or Brown Snot, Crap and Carbon settles to bottom of pan and Looks and Feels Like Molly Wheel Baring Grease!!!!!!(Nasty,Slimy,Sludge):upthumbs
I agree...I'm not blaming Lucas or any other additive mfg...Just my stupididty...and bad luck.....I think all's well...starterted it up this morning a littlle lifter noise about 10 seconds and gone. To be perfectly honest.....I also put some Advance Auto "STP" type thickener in as well.I've learned a big lesson. Nothing but good oil with NO additives.It's a good thing I didn't blow up the engine.
The good Lord was with me And letting you guys give me all this good advice.
Thanx again

Dennis

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom