Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Differential question

manofsteel

I HAVE A 1973 COUPE WITH A CRATE 350 ENGINE WITH NO POLLUTION STUFF. I recently fixed my tachometer cable so now I know what I am turning at what speeds. I thought that my vette came with a 3:08 rear. But now I am questioning this. At 50mph I am turning 2000rpms. This leads me to believe that the previous owner(s) changed the rear gears. The codes on the rear does reflect back to the 3:08 gear. But, I can not burn rubber taking off. Do any of you have any idea if this is ok for a 3:08 gear or has it been changed? Any idea to what? Must be low for I hardly
need to brake when coming to a stop. It slows down on its own.
Thanks for any help

You can check the ratio easily.

Jack the back up and support it on stands. Put the trans in neutral with the parking brake off.

Mark the driveshaft with some chalk or a white paint pen. Mark the tires the same way.

Turn the tires one revolution and count the number of times the driveshaft turns.

Little less than three times = 2.73
About three times = 3.08
3 1/3 times = 3.36
3 1/2 times = 3.55
3 3/4 times = 3.70
About four times = 4.11

My L48 (with no smog stuff) wouldn't spin my Eagle GT's. I have a 3.08 diff. I don't blame the rear end...

Typically the 73 auto had 308 and the Wr 4 spd 336's. The HP cars had 355, 370 or 411 but I believe most ratios could be ordered.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom