Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Does anyone have any experience/input on these wheels/tires ?

I have never owned a set of FALKEN tires, but you see this brand of tire used by many European High End Tuners, such as AMG (Mercedes) etc....
The package price seems very reasonable.....
Good Luck.......

Thnks for the replies, guy's. 41 views to this thread, but no one with any actual experience kind of surprises me. The package price and shipping sure seems tempting, but I would like to hear from someone first hand, that has either purchased them or knows of someone that has. Any others out there ???

BTW, got the C5 out for a spin with the top down today for the first time this year. Put a smile on my face !!!

Thanks, Garry

I'm not a big fan of OE wheels.

I believe they weigh more than stock and that extra unsprung weight is not good.

Make sure you go lighter rather than heavier ....

I like LG rims he is offering at a good price better...(more expensive but worth it)

Go with 18's all around as the best performance size . IMO

Good luck

Interesting.

I noticed the seller also has a package deal with the C5 Z06 Chrome wheel and Firestone Firehawk wide oval in 18 x 10.5 / 17 x 9.5.

Click Here

I really like the chrome C5 Z06 rim and have thought more than once they would look good on my Carmine Red 'vert. But now I have to show my ignorance of such matters. Would this size replace my '98 stock rims with no modifications? And correct me if I'm wrong, but the Firestones he's offering are NOT runflats, are they?

I'm also curious if anyone has any experience with this seller.

:w Jane Ann

extra unsprung weight is not good...

JB,

Educate me, please. Unsprung weight is defined as...? And is not good because...? Does it affect the handling?

TIA,
Jane Ann

Ever go over a "woop de doo" bump? (where you get weightless for second). Well that "thunk" when your suspension reaches the end of its travel and the weight of the wheels, tires, rotors (everything that moves up and down with the suspension) slows or stops your upward movment is the clearest indication of "unsprung weight". I guess it would be the weight of everything below the point that the top of your shock absorbers and springs attach to the chassis, and it effects handeling (lighter, stiffer = better).

Also, when you buy wheel packages like the one outlined above, what about the Tire Pressure Sensors? I didnt see them mentioned in the ad. Wouldnt make much sense though to have the best balancing and mounting done if the customer had to break the bead to install TPS's. Just wondering.

Thnks for the replies, guy's. 41 views to this thread, but no one with any actual experience kind of surprises me. The package price and shipping sure seems tempting, but I would like to hear from someone first hand, that has either purchased them or knows of someone that has. Any others out there ???

BTW, got the C5 out for a spin with the top down today for the first time this year. Put a smile on my face !!!

Thanks, Garry

I've had Falken tires on a couple of my cars. I liked them. he price was right and they lasted a while... longer than my gatorbacks or yokohamas.

....I guess it would be the weight of everything below the point that the top of your shock absorbers and springs attach to the chassis, and it effects handeling (lighter, stiffer = better).

Also, when you buy wheel packages like the one outlined above, what about the Tire Pressure Sensors? I didnt see them mentioned in the ad. Wouldnt make much sense though to have the best balancing and mounting done if the customer had to break the bead to install TPS's. Just wondering.

Thanks for the info and suggestions. I sorta guessed something along those lines.

And good point about the sensors! That's why I posted it here because I knew without feedback I'd forget something which needed to be factored in. :eyerole

I have had non runflats without tire sensors as long as I've had my C5 closing in on 40,000 miles without any problems (105,000 total miles) just use a sensor that goes on the valve stem instead.
mine had Pirelli's on it when I bought it and is wearing Avons now the Avons hold better in the rain then the Pirellis did and I'm sure much better then the runflats.
If you use your Vette as a daily driver and put miles on it beware that a "performance" tire will wear faster and won't stick as well in the rain as a "hi performance all season"

Thanks for the info and suggestions. I sorta guessed something along those lines.

And good point about the sensors! That's why I posted it here because I knew without feedback I'd forget something which needed to be factored in. :eyerole

Heavier wheels also require more energy to accelerate their rotation. There is the inertia that resists acceleration in a straight line, and the angular inertia that resists rotational acceleration around the axle.

You've gotten a lot of good answers.

Unsprung weight or the weight of the wheels in this case can even a few pounds can be detrimental to acceleration, handling and other performance aspects..

I'd recommend Original equipment Z06 rims that have been chromed over OE chrome rims...OE is a heavy product and many are not satisfied with them after they have them installed. (some people don't care and use the car as a cruiser)

Go over to www.z06vette.com and post up that you are looking for chromed Z06 rims....You might find someone who is looking to go with LG's new rims which are also very well priced.

Good luck..

Thanks for ALL the good info gentlemen!!

At the risk of sounding dumber than ever... another point/question: I thought OE or OEM meant Original Equipment Manufacturer. But obviously the Ebay rims are not (?) considered original Z06 rims even though they're advertised as OE?

Edit: I notice the seller has the C5 emblem on the center caps - isn't that only allowed if officially licensed by GM?

Maybe we need to revive our synonym thread. ;)

Jane Ann

OE is a company that almost fooled many years ago.

Their rims are OEM "STYLE" but not Original Equipment products ie. They weigh more and are manufactured differently.

I don't care to be misled and I don't care to buy wheels that weigh more than factory products.

My suggestion from the information I've gathered over the years is to be careful in purchasing rims.

CCW is great.
LG rims are excellent.
Original GM rims are as well.

I do NOT care for OE Original "STYLE" rims as they tend to be of a different (being kind) manufacturing meathod and weight.

If you go to LG or CCW rims and they are larger than stock they can still weigh a few pounds more but are LARGER.

I do not see the sense in buying Original Equipment STYLE rims that are the same size as stock GM pieces yet weigh more.

Hope this helps others decide whats best for them.

As a cruising rim I would imagine OE rims might be ok as long as you know what you are buying BEFORE you purchase.

Thanks for all the replies. Regarding CCW wheels, where is the best prices on these ? And best prices on tires ? Does anyone do a good package deal on CCW wheels and a set of tires ?

Again, thanks for the replies, I appreciate it :)

-Garry

CCW

Thanks for all the replies. Regarding CCW wheels, where is the best prices on these ? And best prices on tires ? Does anyone do a good package deal on CCW wheels and a set of tires ?

Again, thanks for the replies, I appreciate it :)

-Garry

Garry,

I have CCW 505s and I love how they look on my Y2K Vert. My only complaint (and it is not a strong complaint) is that they are a bxtch to keep shiney. they came with the car...if I had it to do over, I'd go with a chrome version of the 505s. Yes, polishing and shining my Vette is a labor of love...but, I love chrome better...I think.;)

Others may disagree?:eek:hnoes

Can't help you with your other questions...sorry.:confused

Garry,

I have CCW 505s and I love how they look on my Y2K Vert. My only complaint (and it is not a strong complaint) is that they are a bxtch to keep shiney. they came with the car...if I had it to do over, I'd go with a chrome version of the 505s. Yes, polishing and shining my Vette is a labor of love...but, I love chrome better...I think.;)

Others may disagree?:eek:hnoes

Can't help you with your other questions...sorry.:confused

Good input, I struggle keeping some polished wheels shiney on another toy, so I deffinately want chrome plated ones !

Those CCW wheels are not cheap !!!!!

-Garry

Cray Scorpions are a nice wheels for only about $1200 for a set of polished.
www.craywheels.com

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom