Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Driveline vibration.....Help!

I had a clunk from forward to reverse. I replaced all the U joints and it still clunked. I just had it in for bushings and asked the mechanic to check the cause of this clunk. He fixed it. I'm not sure where this piece of rubber he replaced is but if I can ask. from what I recall he said there is was suppose to be a piece of rubber on the mount that supports the rear of the transmission (near the rearend) that was missing. Once was installed and the clunk went away. Easy way to check is to get the car up on a hoist. have someone put it in reverse and drive....the strain causes the transmission to rise and clunk on the frame when in fact it should be hitting a rubber bushing.

Jim

universal joints to use

:w Go with the best...Spicer U joints...without grease fittings
I'm getting rid of the automatic and having a 4speed Muncie installed Monday. Part of the job is a balanced driveshaft w/new Spicers. I sure hope you find your problem and I hope you let us know ....just in case I have the same problem!;) good luck, jim

jdp6000 said:
I had a clunk from forward to reverse. I replaced all the U joints and it still clunked. I just had it in for bushings and asked the mechanic to check the cause of this clunk. He fixed it. I'm not sure where this piece of rubber he replaced is but if I can ask. from what I recall he said there is was suppose to be a piece of rubber on the mount that supports the rear of the transmission (near the rearend) that was missing. Once was installed and the clunk went away. Easy way to check is to get the car up on a hoist. have someone put it in reverse and drive....the strain causes the transmission to rise and clunk on the frame when in fact it should be hitting a rubber bushing.

Jim

Thanks for your info Jim. We have replaced both the trans mount and diff mount when the engine went back in.
Only difference is the trans mount is rubber and the diff mount is poly. Shouldn't make too much difference one being this and the other that.

Cheers

Tony

like2drive said:
:w Go with the best...Spicer U joints...without grease fittings
I'm getting rid of the automatic and having a 4speed Muncie installed Monday. Part of the job is a balanced driveshaft w/new Spicers. I sure hope you find your problem and I hope you let us know ....just in case I have the same problem!;) good luck, jim

They are pretty hard to find here in OZ.
I asked the guy who just balanced it to make sure he used Spicer and he said he would order them up. Can't say if he did or not. Mmmm....better go out and check.

Cheers

Tony

The new torue converter and flex plate went in and made a little bit of difference, but I still have vibration. The old torque converter, which was rebuilt by one of the rebuilder that the transmission shop uses, went to another rebuilder as the trans shop has changed who they send there torque converters too for repair. When the rebuilders got my torque converter, they asked old Lex if the customer had any problems with the torque converter. It was missing the plate in side and was cactus. He said he wasn't rebuilding my old one and threw it in the bin outside. I had another one istalled, but it was double the price of the standard torque converter. Question: do Vettes have a mini stall in them from factory?

Anyway, the vibration is under load, while excessive excelleration and when you back off. I believe the little bit of vibration I have is now more tyre and wheel related as it is not there at high speeds.
I installed a new set of rallye rims on the old girl and had new BF's fitted, but some clown talked me into having metal wheel spacers installed, the same used on mags to located the wheel on the hub. These spacers are tack welded on the rims and force the wheel to be located on the hub and not the wheel studs. I believe this is my vibration problem as the lug nuts are designed to centrally located the wheel on the wheel stud and the nuts are slowly chewing into the rim because it is off centre and it is fighting the other nuts and pulling the rim around. I'll need to by a new set of rallye rims, another $1200!

I'll look around and see if I can get a set here in OZ, maybe the mag shop can get me a set if I give him the part number.

Cheers

Tony

Have your tire's Balance'd with a Hunter 9700 Road Force Machine!! after 2900 mi my tire's are getting Round agine!! What a Differance!! :upthumbs gmjunkie!!

It was the BF Goodrich Tyres

Have your tire's Balance'd with a Hunter 9700 Road Force Machine!! after 2900 mi my tire's are getting Round agine!! What a Differance!! :upthumbs gmjunkie!!

I sold this Vette in 2007 and had to replace the two rear back tyres for a roadworthy.

I went from BF Goodrich to Yokohama tyres and on the way home was wondering why I sold it.
I replaced every part on that driveline and in the end it was a dodgy balloon in the tyre...:mad

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom