Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

E40 Replacement?

059172Vette

Corvette
Yellow 05, Blue 91, Blue 72
2005 Vette, 6spd, 110k miles. The original E40 failed at 6 years. The replacement E40 has now failed (also at 6years). Maybe it is just acoincidence. Maybe not. But clearly the E40 was a 1 to 2 year bridgeECM to the E38/E67 and may have not been GM’s best effort. Friends in the ECM repair business say no oneis repairing the E40 because of the way the PCBs are made. A quick search finds very few E40s available(at about $500 each). Those same friendssay the only units available are take-out units that have been cleaned up andtested. So I asked myself if there is analternative to either an expensive old-age ECM or having expensive yardart. Another friend in the business sayshe heard that someone has successfully swapped an '04 Vette 411 ECM into a '05Vette. 1M 411s were used in so manyplatforms across so many years there must be a gazillion of them. Swapping E40 pins to 411 pins and loading thetwo 411 connectors would be a lot of work w/o a reasonable chance ofsuccess. So I have a few questions: Does anyone know if the serial and GMLANprotocols are common across those two years? What about BCM / ECM OS compatibility? Has anyone really done this and did they document it? If they did, did they need a TECH II or somesuch device to make the switch?

Good questions! :thumb I hope someone here will be able to help you get things going again.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom