Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ECM Wanted for 1992-93 #16159278

Don Juan

Corvette
1992 Bright Red Coupe
Hello everyone,

My corvette is a 1992 and I’m having a bit of difficult with it; I'm trying to do a little research trying to figure out if I could change the ECM from an early model one (1990-91);
For instance, the 1990.91 model didn’t have ASR and the 1992-93 did, so the 92-93 are a pain when problems arise regarding (ASR, SYS and Security).

So, if I change the ECM to 1990-91 model, would my car work ok?

And would the ASR be disabled?

thank you all for your feedback

Don Juan

totally different animals one is for tuned port and the other is for lt1. the operating systems are not the same do not even think it will plug in . wouldn,t waste the time just repair the problems you have and be done with it Steve

according to Hollander, you can get a unit from an F body also.

CAMARO 93 Elec Cont Module (ECM); 8-350 (5.7L)
CORVETTE 92-93 Elec Cont Module (ECM); base
FIREBIRD 93 Elec Cont Module (ECM); 8-350 (5.7L)

lt1 came with opti-crap, signal from opti is not useable to earlier ecm.....given the scarcity/ cost/ undependability of -278 ecms, consider getting a 94-96 b-body/f-body lt1 intake with fuel rails and drilling the hole for an earlier HEI distributor which sends the signal that the earlier ecm's req...''shelf'' your present intake.

the b/f body intake uses a shorter fuel rail which is reqd to miss the distrib, minor re-pipe reqd...lt1 egr valve will also need to be relocated to pass ''visual'' emissions inspect...dash gauges will need some changes.

HEI + early ecm is ''S.O.P.'' with 4x4 crew to ''loose'' the opti.

I thank you guys for your information it raly helps a bunch;

Now what I've done is bought a "remanufactored" computer and this computer was worst than my original one, it wouldn't fire up at the begining, later after it started; but, it would idle; finaly, I returned the computer and now i have no computer at all; I have to start fresh.

Do you think the computer I bought was defective or did i not folowed the proper proscedures when instaling a diferent computer?

Is there a proper proscedure to folow when a new computer is intalled?

Now, I need a computer to sart with.

I thank you guys for your information it raly helps a bunch;

Now what I've done is bought a "remanufactored" computer and this computer was worst than my original one, it wouldn't fire up at the begining, later after it started; but, it would idle; finaly, I returned the computer and now i have no computer at all; I have to start fresh.

Do you think the computer I bought was defective or did i not folowed the proper proscedures when instaling a diferent computer?

Is there a proper proscedure to folow when a new computer is intalled?

Now, I need a computer to sart with.

Is there a proper procedure to follow when a new computer is intalled?

GROUND yourself to prevent static electricity damage to prom/ecm WHILE transfering prom from 'old' to 'new' ecm...turn ignition switch 'off'
and remove key from switch (to be sure)...remove negative (-) battery cable...install 'new' ecm...reconnect battery cable (if both neg and positive cables were removed, reconnect positive (+) cable BEFORE connecting negative (-) cable.

btw, i have fixed several cars that had ecm diagnosed bad/ transplants without cure, the culprit was ONE corroded pin in the ecm harness connector...hafta 'back out' the pins from the connector ('release' tool reqd) to see the prob , but it is very obvious once the pin is visible outside it's hole in the connector.

Thank you speeedmaster4!!

So, there is nothing to reprogram other then reinstall the ECM back and to take the basic prexcations mention before?

well time to get an other computer.

thank again!!!

So, there is nothing to reprogram other then reinstall the ECM back and to take the basic prexcations mention before?

no reprog needed/possible...must transfer the old prom (memcal) into the 'new' ecm... prom itself can fail (more likely than ecm,actually), only test is try a 'known good' prom.

ask if your local parts supplier can ''bench'' check your existing alternator for ''ripple'' (not just output)...excessive ripple is common and can kill prom and/or ecm immediately at start or anytime after.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom