Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Edelbrock Throttle Cable

eoseitz

Corvette
1974 Stingray L82
When I purchased my 74 vette the previous owner had switched out motor with a v8 out of a 74 Camaro. I still haven't gotten around to running the vin to see what type of motor it is. He also replaced the intake and the carb with an Edelbrock intake and carb. However, when he made the switch, the throttle cable was too short to kick in the four barrel. Has anyone else had this issue. I think its a simple matter of switching to a different throttle cable. Anybody know what length I'll need?

I had the exact same issue because I also have an edelbrock carb and intake but I have the original motor. My gas pedal was almost to the floor and all four barrells would barely kick in when it was matted to the floor. My mechanic had to do some MacGuyering to make it work. I'll ask him tomorrow what he did. Here's a pic of what he did. I hope this helps.

044.jpg

Oh BTW I didn't change the throttle cable. Previous owners monkeyed with it but my guy got it to work! :)

I had the same problem , but with a Holley in my 1980 , pedal too near to the floor...my real high tech solution was to tie a knot in my cable near the carb , but in reality the solution is to try move the cable bracket further backward to the firewall. Most V8 supply houses have an adjustable bracket like these

My 79 has a eldenbrock carb on it I bought the mounting kit from the local autozone store and everything bolted right up. bracket has adjustment for throttle and kick down on it worked like a charm

When I purchased my 74 vette the previous owner had switched out motor with a v8 out of a 74 Camaro.
Completely unrelated thought...but I'm curious why, assuming stock for stock comparison, he would've put in a less powerful motor from a Camaro. Must not have been a stock 74 Camaro V8. ;shrug

I'm really hoping he put an engine from a 1974 z28 camaro. That would be an L82 I believe.

I'm really hoping he put an engine from a 1974 z28 camaro. That would be an L82 I believe.
The '74 Camaro didn't have an "L82" engine option. For most of the Z28's life, the engine for the Z28 was just that "Z28". Even if the Z28 engine code was the L82, it was (just like now) a detuned version of what the vette got.
The '74 Z28 engine was rated at 245hp and the '74 L82 vette engine was rated at 250hp.

The problem is not the cable. It's the mounting. the distance from the back of the carb to the cable hookup is shorter than the stock carb. Elderbrock makes several brackets that move the cable mount at the back of the carb to the rear. That gives more cable travel.

Gary

SAVE the WAVE

8828_530874206912_24100992_31394679_7881489_n.jpg

Anybody know if I can adjust this one?

Like I mentioned above you have to change the mounting point. The bracket that you have mounted to the carb needs the be changed to one that moves the cable mount to the rear. Eldebrock makes several different brackets that will work.

Gary

Would anyone happen to know the part number for the bracket? I've found a few of them. The part numbers I found at advanced auto are 8036, 8031 and various others with the 803x number. I can't really tell which one from the pictures.

Unless someone here comes up with the exact number, I suggest just contacting Edelbrock directly. Shouldn't be that difficult. I'm fairly certain that they have a tech support line. At minimum an email address to use for tech inquiries.
Or try the folks at Summit Racing. They are usually pretty good hunting stuff down.

Would anyone happen to know the part number for the bracket? I've found a few of them. The part numbers I found at advanced auto are 8036, 8031 and various others with the 803x number. I can't really tell which one from the pictures.

Edelbrock makes several different brackets that could work for you; Adjustable ones and fixed ones of different lenghts. Just be sure to get one with the right cable mount, where the cable mounts to the bracket.

Here are just a few of brackets that will work for the SBC, 8030 - 8032 - 8036. You should contact either Edelbrock or go to your local parts store to be sure you get one that fits your exact needs.

Gary

The '74 Camaro didn't have an "L82" engine option. For most of the Z28's life, the engine for the Z28 was just that "Z28". Even if the Z28 engine code was the L82, it was (just like now) a detuned version of what the vette got.
The '74 Z28 engine was rated at 245hp and the '74 L82 vette engine was rated at 250hp.

The '74 Z/28 engine was the same as the L-82, it lost 5 hp due to the exhaust, not detuning. At least that's Chevy's story. :beer

Thanks. I just found the edelbrock 8036 on ebay. Picked it up for $14. Can't go wrong there. Hopefully this works. I can't really tell from the picture of it how it's going to bolt up. Will it connect the the carb or the intake manifold? Right now the bracket is bolted to the intake.

I finally got around to installing the throttle cable bracket. It moved the mounting point back quite a bit. I moved the throttle cable back as far as I could. The car definitely picks up speed quicker now, but I still don't hear the four barrel kick in. Is there a way to test the four barrel at throttle to see if its opening?

I finally got around to installing the throttle cable bracket. It moved the mounting point back quite a bit. I moved the throttle cable back as far as I could. The car definitely picks up speed quicker now, but I still don't hear the four barrel kick in. Is there a way to test the four barrel at throttle to see if its opening?

That depends on if you have vacuum secondary or mechical. If it is mech. just have someone push the pedal to the floor and see if the backs open. If vacuum thats a little harder. Chech to see if you have vacuum to the diapham; also that the diapham is good. No holes etc.
Note with the vacuum you may not always feel the secondary kick in as much as on the mech. type. They open as the engine needs it and that can be a slower smoother operation than the mech.

Gary

What should I be looking for to see if it's mechanical or vacuum? I'm assuming a vacuum hose going from the carb to the throttle body?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom