Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Engine oil capacity question

Dom C

Corvette
2005 Mag Red Z51 MN6
Hello folks,

Dumb question but I have to ask. Engine oil capacity information differs in a few spots I have checked. Any owners out there who perform the oil changes themselves? I brought it to the dealer because I cant lift the car, or ramp it properly.

Dealer tells me that they put in 6.5, but I saw the mechanic dump 7 quarts. I can not say for sure if he held back 1/2 of the last bottle?

2005 owners manual (page 5-94) oil with filter - 5.5 quarts.
Chevy dealer tells me - oil with filter - 6.5 quart

Thanks in advance.
05 Z51 MN6

Hello folks,

Dumb question but I have to ask. Engine oil capacity information differs in a few spots I have checked. Any owners out there who perform the oil changes themselves? I brought it to the dealer because I cant lift the car, or ramp it properly.

Dealer tells me that they put in 6.5, but I saw the mechanic dump 7 quarts. I can not say for sure if he held back 1/2 of the last bottle?

2005 owners manual (page 5-94) oil with filter - 5.5 quarts.
Chevy dealer tells me - oil with filter - 6.5 quart

Thanks in advance.
05 Z51 MN6
i have changed mine 2 times so far and both times it took 5.5 quarts with filter. park it on the level over night and check the oil level first thing in the morning before you start the engine because 1.5 quarts over will show on the stick.

when I do my C5 I fill the filter from one Qt and set the remainder aside then put 5 Qts in the engine; if or when the stick shows a significant level drop I top off with whats left from filling the filter. I like doing my own changes then I know the filter is pre-filled.

Guys, thanks for the replies.

The dip stick did indicate an oil level above the hatched marks. The reading was taken first thing in the morning before turning the engine on. I'll swing by the dealership to have a quart taken out, then I'll add IF needed at any point.

Its odd that the GM dealer and the 2005 owners manual have different capacity volumes.

I have to find a good way to get under the front of the car or lift it enough so I can do this myself in the future.

Thanks again.

Its odd that the GM dealer and the 2005 owners manual have different capacity volumes.

I have to find a good way to get under the front of the car or lift it enough so I can do this myself in the future. Thanks again.
The Z51 takes 6 qts, the base C6 takes 5.5 qts.
This difference, I understand, is due to the oil cooler lines in the Z51 model.

Also, I do my oil changes by driving over 2X12s, one under each wheel.
Then I jack the drivers side up, using the jacking puck.
This gives me enough clearance to undo the filter and drain plug.
I do, as mentioned above, fill my filter with oil first.
Always wipe some oil on the filter's rubber gasket, for lubrication when twisting it on.

Thank you so much guys. Your input is appreciated and useful.

I'm going to get a jack and use the 2x12 boards to lift it myself to remove a quart.

Guys, thanks for the replies.

the C-5 engines use 6.5 quarts with a filter change because of the pan design

Also, I do my oil changes by driving over 2X12s, one under each wheel.
Then I jack the drivers side up, using the jacking puck.
This gives me enough clearance to undo the filter and drain plug.
I do, as mentioned above, fill my filter with oil first.
Always wipe some oil on the filter's rubber gasket, for lubrication when twisting it on

You mention using a jacking puck,but if you look in the manual,the jack goes under the ribbed aluminum frame by the engine and not on the side where the indentation is-please explain

there are 4 spots on the frame where a jacking "Puck" goes I made my own out of aluminum. You can jack the car from these points also and when using a lift must use them to raise the Vette properly.
DSC02209.JPG

DSC02207.JPG

I have seen several places that will put 1 quart over what it calls for. I can only guess that its all about making a buck. The only time I will take a car in for an oil change is when its tooooo cold outside to do it myself.

If you jack the car on only one side,be sure to lower it to get a complete drain. Also,you may be able to drain the oil by turning the front wheels hard left. This should give you enough room to get at the plug/filter without jacking.

In your owners manual, you will see the oil required for a change with a filter.
IF YOU PUT IN MORE, you will burn it through windage of the oil in the crankcase.
YOU ARE NOT looking for the oil to be at the top of the marks, only in between the high and the low mark.
Allthebest, :hb

Everyone,
Thanks so much for all the input. Enjoy the holidays.
Dom

My non-Z51 2006 coupe took an even 5.5 at its last (and only!) change.

Dom, its a tight squeeze and I have long arms but you can simply reach under the car to screw both the filter and drain nut off, and back on when your done, with the car just sitting on the ground.

When done this way it is a slight PITA but Ive done it twice now no real big hassle and I know that every last drop drains out cause the pans flat.

Every now and then I do drive on the 2 x 12"s to get a jack under to remove my tires so I can clean the inside of the rim

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom