Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Engine Tick

B

brooksie

I have an 02 Vett and when I start it there is no ticking at all. After about 40 seconds I start to hear a tick like a rocker or something. After about 2 minutes the tick goes away. Is this something I should be concerned with?

I didn't see where you posted the mileage on your 02, but I don't think that I would be concerned with the tick. These engines are built to work in very close tolerances and will make all sorts of little ticks until they get up to operating temps. My 01 does. At first it kind of bothered me, but after two years, I've grown accustomed to those little noises.

These engines, well maintained, will go a couple hundred thousand miles. Some examples have gone more than that. One of our resident "experts" says that it's not even broke in until 100k.

BTW, I'm going to move this thread to the C5 area.

Thank You very much for this. It only has 52 k on it so I will now drive with confidence.
Regards.
I didn't see where you posted the mileage on your 02, but I don't think that I would be concerned with the tick. These engines are built to work in very close tolerances and will make all sorts of little ticks until they get up to operating temps. My 01 does. At first it kind of bothered me, but after two years, I've grown accustomed to those little noises.

These engines, well maintained, will go a couple hundred thousand miles. Some examples have gone more than that. One of our resident "experts" says that it's not even broke in until 100k.

The ol' LS1 knock. Very common, especially with the 01's.

My 04 does it. 26000 miles.

thanks Chuck. So yours does it when the car is warm and cold? Im fanatical about noises... I have had a GM Certified tech tell me that these cars are noisy and just enjoy it and stop worrying so much....

So then the tapping noise I hear when my 01 is cold and better(but not gone) when warm is considered normal for the 01's?

Yes, it is VERY common. There is a difference though. This sound is NOT common. This is a problem knock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RH5bocYS_w&feature=related

However, this is a the common LS1 knock you hear when the engine is cold:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SulhWLAzAfQ

If you go over to LS1Tech, you'll find thread after thread on this subject. There is a countless amount of information about this on the web. Google is your friend.

Junkman,
I recorded the sound. Any idea what it could be? My Vette guy said its nothing to worry about. Everything seems to be normal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAjfPXVXLKQ

Yes, it is VERY common. There is a difference though. This sound is NOT common. This is a problem knock:

Unhappy LS1 sounds - YouTube

However, this is a the common LS1 knock you hear when the engine is cold:

Ls1 knock? tick? - YouTube

If you go over to LS1Tech, you'll find thread after thread on this subject. There is a countless amount of information about this on the web. Google is your friend.

Junkman,
I recorded the sound. Any idea what it could be? My Vette guy said its nothing to worry about. Everything seems to be normal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAjfPXVXLKQ

Yours does sound louder than normal (it could just be the recording), but you stated that it goes away after the engine warm up. If that's the case, I wouldn't worry about it either. Or, you could pay a stealership to go through the engine and charge you a bunch of money. ;)

I might be louder be louder due to the recording. It lessens when the car is warm, but never goes away.

Yours does sound louder than normal (it could just be the recording), but you stated that it goes away after the engine warm up. If that's the case, I wouldn't worry about it either. Or, you could pay a stealership to go through the engine and charge you a bunch of money. ;)

I might be louder be louder due to the recording. It lessens when the car is warm, but never goes away.

Record what it sounds like when it is at the lowest sounding point. Post that.

ls1 tick

Mine had that tick one time so I replaced the plug wires and plugs and it went away. I also put headers and after a while for some reason it began to tick again. then i added a new cam and supercharger with 600hp and cant hear any more ticking. I cannot tolerate ticking of any kind. If my care still ticked, I would have to sell it personally speaking. Apparently many ls1's have a noisy valvetrain. My care had 32k miles and totally stock and never abused. When i replaced the factory wires with msd wires the ticking went away for a long while. when i put the headers it kind of came back and now with the blower....no ticking at all because it's on roids!!:thumb

Try a higher flowing oil filter like Baldwin or K&N. In many cases (like mine), it's enough to make the noise go away completely.

I've had a K&N filter in mine since the first month I bought (2004), it and the tick has never went away.

I've had a K&N filter in mine since the first month I bought (2004), it and the tick has never went away.
'
I run a K & N also and my car runs like a clock, tick tick tick tick :chuckle

Thus why I said "many" not "all" ;)

BTW, I use Baldwin filters, but had heard that K&N flowed equally well. Maybe it's not so.
B31.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom