Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Ethanol free fuel

Crimson Thunder

Corvette
1970 Marboro Maroon Convertible
I know i'm going to open a can of worms here. My local gas station just installed an 89 octane Ethanol Free pump for boats and lawn equipment. It is 25 cents more expensive per gallon than the 93 octane pump. Who here would be interested in using that in their Vette?

I was under the impression that Ethanol fuel cost more than non-ethanol to begin with.

Now to get non-ethanol, we would have to pay 25 cents more than the price of 93 octane?

93 octane in Maine is between 4.00 to 4.20 a gallon. Sssoooo normal 87 octane that we got before this ethanol crap would be 4.25 to 4.45!!!

That must be because the government ethanol subsidies (we pay anyway) would go away.

I'm also sure that fuel is for off road (boats and equipment etc) and there would be stiff fines for using it in our vettes.

Boy, do they have us hoodwinked!!!

Chuck M

Here in Oklahoma, many stations are selling 100% gas and advertising that on the pumps and store signs. (GET BETTER MILEAGE WITH 100% GAS, etc.) Even the Murphy Gas stations beside Wal-Mart are selling 100% gas - they used to be locked into E10 but realized that customers were driving a couple of blocks away to buy 100% gas.

100% gas gives better mileage that E10 - 10% to 15% better mileage.

The problem around here (OKC) is that the E10 stations are still charging about the same or slightly less for their E10 compared to the 100% gas stations. Folks that just look at the price per gallon are probably not paying attention to the actual cost per mile they drive.

If E10 isn't at least 10% cheaper, it ain't worth it. Worded differenterly, if the 100% gas cost is more than 10% greater than the E10, it may not be worth it.

On 100% gas, I saw 1.5 to 2 miles per gallon better mileage than I do on E10 in my old 2008 Vette. I see similar improved mileage with my V Wagon.

25 cents more for the lower octane gas which may not run as well in our Vettes is also a concern. They may not allow you to pump this stuff into your car which would mean filling up gas cans with the stuff then putting it into your car at home.

100% gas gives better mileage that E10 - 10% to 15% better mileage.

On 100% gas, I saw 1.5 to 2 miles per gallon better mileage than I do on E10 in my old 2008 Vette.

Those two statements sort of disagree with each other.

Typical mileage decrease with E10 gas is 3-4%.

I would run "REAL GAS" in my 1981, probably the higher octane in my 03 as it is probably wouldn't know the difference between "REAL GAS" and the Corn Blend... the Computers would adjust :chuckle ;LOL :happyanim:

Bud
:w

I would run "REAL GAS" in my 1981, probably the higher octane in my 03 as it is probably wouldn't know the difference between "REAL GAS" and the Corn Blend... the Computers would adjust :chuckle ;LOL :happyanim:

Bud
:w

If I remember correctly, an '81 was designed to run on 87 octane. Anything higher (E10 or pure gas) is a waste.

In Missouri a few years ago they mandated 10% Ethanol in all gas, unless the price got too high, and at the same time they did away with the stickers on the pumps that said that it was 10% Ethanol. So now everything is E10, you just don't know it! Gas prices here have recently gone up to about $3.56 for regular and $3.76 for premium.

In Missouri a few years ago they mandated 10% Ethanol in all gas, unless the price got too high, and at the same time they did away with the stickers on the pumps that said that it was 10% Ethanol. So now everything is E10, you just don't know it! Gas prices here have recently gone up to about $3.56 for regular and $3.76 for premium.

I like to drive US 60 across southern MO when I had to Bowling Green. After gasing up in MO somewhere, my mileage drops off compared to what the car was getting with the good Ezero gas from Oklahoma.
The State of MO must have a big corn lobby.

No boat, but all my lawn equipment runs fine on cheapo pump gas.
:thumb
The pro lawn guys seem to like to run the Ethanol free stuff through their equipment and i've read that Ethanol is causing major problems with outboard boat motors. My home lawn equipment seems to run fine on the regular cheap stuff as well.

I may try a tank of Ethanol free in my Vette to see if I can notice any seat of the pants difference.(I'm running 9.45 compression with aluminum heads so the 89 octane shouldn't hurt)

Gasoline today ?

You guys make some very interesting points. As I read them I have to think back last week I was having breakfast at the local small town kitchen, and a fella was in with his wife. He's a farmer from OK, visiting his grand children and he told me that his corn crop is so damaged he's not even going waste the diesel fuel to run the combine. Said he's just going to Collect the insurance policy money he took out the beginning of the year and before Thanksgiving holiday he'll just run the tractor and plow the whole crop into the ground and hope for a better (Wetter) spring.

Here in Pennsylvania and I live at the very southeast corner of the state, I buy Exxon 93 supreme @ $399.9 a gallon and the Exxon stations all pump E10, but it makes me wonder where the ethanol is going to come from since the corn crop across the whole country is so bad as the drought goes on and where are the refineries going to obtain Ethanol if the corn isn't there ? All Gasoline prices here have gone up close to $0.40 cents a gallon around here in the last two weeks. Oddly Exxon hasn't raised their price yet. I'm sure tomorrow morning I'll see $410.9 for 93. Here right on the Delaware River and the city of Philadelphia there was four refineries. But they all closed due to the fact that they are designed to crack and refine "Sweet Light Crude oil". But that crude oil only come from the Middle East and we only buy about 12% from them. So the different oil companies closed them instead going to rebuilding them. Too far away from Canada where most of our crude oil comes from. Only one was recently bought and it's the Conoco Phillips refinery was bought by Delta Airlines so they can make their own Aviation fuel Ring here by the Phila. International Airport. The pipelines run right under my little town here in Tinicum Township.

Somehow I see a added $0.25 a gallon very soon as the Corn is used up and if we have to buy ethanol from President Hugo Chavez of Venezuela. He'd get a real kick out of that. Can you see it, not only do we have to pay more for any Gasoline, and now the oil companies can't find enough corn Ethanol to piss down the gasoline we are forced to use everyday, but we'd now have to pay a surcharge because we don't have enough corn to crush into ethanol. Gezzz, what a way to run a country.

:eyerole Jim Ward

Run that Ethanol damit....it'l keep those injectors clean and sparkling.....I love ethanol and I want that you should love it too....The drought has taken its toll but there was also 95 million acres planted this spring the most since forever. Also the irrigated corn looks good. I think we will be somewhat short of supply but not enough to mess things up to bad.

Now if this goes on for another year then all bets are off. Ag employs millions of folks and due in part to ethanol it is a sector that is thriving. So we appreciate your support....... :D

Uhh....and go Huskers......

Last edited:
Of course, now that the import tariff has been lifted, Brazil stand at the ready to sell the US all the ethanol it wants at a cheaper price than it can be produced domestically- like it's been for years.

On the EPA table is a new mandate to take that 10% ethanol in the gas to 15%. Alcohol (ANY alcohol), has less BTU's per gallon than gasoline. SO it takes more to get the same distance. Not to mention the carb jets need to be bigger, the rubber parts in the fuel system get attacked by the alcohol. (If you rebuild a Q-Jet, do your research- the accelerator pumps in some kits die in short order when exposed to alcohol, causing serious hesitation and possibly stalling when you jump on the gas)

I have a 68 BB 500+hp and what I do is buy the Ethanol free gas and put in an additive. I bought an ethanol tester and if I can't find regular gas I check to see how much ethanol (or water) is in the fuel. If their is to much water in the fuel go to the next place. One note folks, if you can, do not put that ethanol crap in you collector cars!!!! Try to find another station, cause you never know, without a tester, how much water your getting. Time after time of putting alittle water adds up. Those testers are $8.00 and you use the gas in the line before you buy it to test it. Hope this helps!!!!!! Oh I have found as much as 30% ethanol, which 20% more than the Gov. mandates and nearly no one have 10%. I have been checking over a year.

Last edited:
The biggest problem with the alcohol is that it eats at the rubber seals in the fuel system. You can buy fuel lines and carb parts that can stand the alcohol.

Personally, I avoided the 10% alcohol / gasoline mix as long as I could. Eventually every gas station in town had it.
I haven't had any problems... yet.

Good luck!!!

E10 compatible hoses and gaskets have been in common use for over 20 years. If someone still has pre-ethanol stuff on their car it's way overdue to be replaced anyway. Like tires, it doesn't have an infinite life.

I've been using E10 for over 20 years and have never had one moment's trouble- the additives are a waste of money.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom