Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Few questions.

Corvette
1993 coupe
My old ride needs alot of work. I know alot of things are not right. So... When i turn on the parking lights. Are the headlights supposed to open? I have no high beams either so i kinda think something is screwed somewhere. And the passenger side motor turns on and the headlight wont go but half way. So i know they need alot of work. Where should i look for the hood setting type pin. By that i mean the one on the top that is near the windshield when closed. The one you can adjust by turning in and out for the hood alignment type deal. I am missing one and so far every place local has no idea :ugh And now the big one... I have read alot on here about cleaning the motor. Mine is just nasty as can be. So it needs alot of water or pressure washer help. Can i cover the opti and spray it down? Will that help protect it? Or can i just start it and then spay it down? Or will that not help either? I know alot of guys say they spray them down with no issues. Yet alot say dont do it :thanks:

My old ride needs alot of work. I know alot of things are not right. So... When i turn on the parking lights. Are the headlights supposed to open? I have no high beams either so i kinda think something is screwed somewhere. And the passenger side motor turns on and the headlight wont go but half way. So i know they need alot of work. Where should i look for the hood setting type pin. By that i mean the one on the top that is near the windshield when closed. The one you can adjust by turning in and out for the hood alignment type deal. I am missing one and so far every place local has no idea :ugh And now the big one... I have read alot on here about cleaning the motor. Mine is just nasty as can be. So it needs alot of water or pressure washer help. Can i cover the opti and spray it down? Will that help protect it? Or can i just start it and then spay it down? Or will that not help either? I know alot of guys say they spray them down with no issues. Yet alot say dont do it :thanks:

well...assuming this is an LT C4 with an opti spark on the front of the engine.....thats your call. Optis are expensive up to $300 a copy and knowing that it is a very delicate, precision optical sensing device that is absolutely ruined if it gets water inside...your call. You can TRY to cover it and wash around it. Some do and live to tell the silly story. Too much risk for most. Most practice preventative maint so it never gets to this point.
Spray off other areas but use caution. When you get to the front,. use some non-toxic orange oil kitchen cleaner (home depot has some good stuff, cheap too) (or simple green) to dissolve the grease and crud (no chemical degreasers due to wireing) and rinse off what you can and wipe the rest. Or spray with a pressure washer if you can get new optis at a decent price. Some guys treat the opti as a throw away tune-up wear part and change them before they fail.

headlite...cake, do a search here and other vette sites for the details on delron bushings in C4 headlite door motors. Early motors were mechanical drive but after 88 they went to a different drive system that uses some dirt cheap plastic bushings as shock absorbers in the direct drive headlite motor. $0.28 worth of parts and 3 hrs of your time.
Hood latch-pin....search E-bay or local salvagers. Thats going to be Corvette-only so a vette salvage yard is the only way to go. The big spring loaded guide pin IS the adjustment. Loosen the retaining nut and run it in/out to get it close. Adjust the rubber stops at the hood edges, corners to get the final fit. DO NOT get it too tight because it will latch and bind and NOT release...baby steps. When it gets close...use the stops for the last little bit of slop in the hood.

Thanks for the info man. I have been learning alot from this forum!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

6ce0709f-9f9a-e3c8.jpg

Its clean now :D

Here is a place you need to visit http://www.tabercorvetteparts.com/contact.html I think you might find them a good source of parts and help with your baby. I suspect they are within 30 miles of were you live. Makes a nice little get away trip to go and see what they have.

Actually it is about 130 miles to them from were you live. They are down near Evansville. In Chandler

Yeah i was just looking it up. Still worth the trip. Thanks for the info on that place. It is a nice sunny day!!

Another great source for parts is CAC sponsor, Zip Products.

They have fair prices, quick turnaround of orders and good customer service. I buy a lot of Corvette parts from them.

You can find the right information about aligning your hood and adjusting the latch system in the Factory Service Manual. The part you are missing is call a "hood latch bolt" and you may have trouble finding that as a new part from the aftermarket. Check with a GM dealer and if it's discontinued, you'd better search some wrecking yards.

There is a lot of stuff on the Internet about repairing headlight motors. Parts to do this are available from Zip Products and others.

As for your electrical problem..no high beams...Page 100, Sec. 8A of the Service Manual has the troubleshooting information for the high beams.

Thanks for all the help guys. I just ordered the headlight repair kit. Going to do both at the same time. Just got my new valve cover gaskets. Hope its as easy as it looks to replace them :L

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom