Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Front End Shimmey

You say it happens when you hit a bump. Does that mean when you hit a bump with 1 tire or with both?

I agree that if it was something as simple as the tires being out of balance, then you'd notice it all the time. You said the tires are new with < 100 miles on them. Did the problem start within the last 100 miles? Maybe something was damaged when the tires were changed.

No, it did this with the old tires too.... I was hoping it was the old ucky tires that was the problem but alas not since the same behavior persists.... doesn't matter if it is one tire or both although if both then its even worse............ ;shrug

Isn't there some kind of damper (like a shock absorber) associated with the steering system? Is that shot?

No, it did this with the old tires too.... I was hoping it was the old ucky tires that was the problem but alas not since the same behavior persists.... doesn't matter if it is one tire or both although if both then its even worse............ ;shrug
Well if calipers are New,The Ball joints are Tight,If the Tie Rod ends are Tight,If the Pitman arm and Idler arm are Tight, and the Rubber bushings are Tight in the control arms Upper and Lower!!! It has to be Loose or Mal adjusted front wheel bearings or not enough Positive Caster or Combination of Both!!!!!!!!!:upthumbs

Well Dave (my boyfriend) and I were just chatting and although I'm not entirely convinced, we thought maybe we would try new shocks in there and see if that makes any difference. I am going to also have the front tires re-balanced as I believe one of them is slightly off balance. Perhaps the two combined will fix er up!! I'll keep ya'll posted!

OK Dawn,

I'm going back to square 1.
Did you replace the leaking steering control valve yet? Since that was the first problem.

OK Dawn,

I'm going back to square 1.
Did you replace the leaking steering control valve yet? Since that was the first problem.

No, I'm pretty sure I mentioned somewhere in here that it wasn't leaking, it was the power steering hoses that were leaking which I replaced. Control valve is fine. System is sealed. :)

UPDATE

Well, I put the new shocks on it and I'd say about 95% of the shimmeying disappeared.... IT ROCKS! Consider myself humbled.... I just didn't think shocks would manifest in that type of behavior. I attribute the small remainder to old front end parts.... which will be dealt with as money allows. My boyfriend and I painted my 81 this weekend... I'm gonna post a pic on another thread!!!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom