Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Fuel Line Removal

Emtmike

Corvette
1981 Biege & Dark Bronze Coupe
I figure since the vette is up in the air, I wanted to change my fuel line from the pump to the carb :). I've tried to remove it from the carb with no luck, but was able to loosen the bolt at the pump :). It seems that I'm getting way to much gas coming from it and was wondering about how much is going to drain out :eek:hnoes. I've changed fuel filters before with less gas draining out....anybody got the answer? ;shrug

May be 4 - 6 onces from the line itself?;shrug

However, if you disconnect the line at the pump, but the carb end is connected still, then I believe that the draining of fuel will create a syphoning action on the carb and draw fuel from the carb's reservoir area...:eyerole:ugh;):thumb

GerryLP:cool

May be 4 - 6 onces from the line itself?;shrug

However, if you disconnect the line at the pump, but the carb end is connected still, then I believe that the draining of fuel will create a syphoning action on the carb and draw fuel from the carb's reservoir area...:eyerole:ugh;):thumb

GerryLP:cool

Ok.....so far I've got almost a half gallon already. Would removing the gas cap stop the suction?

The best way to get a stubborn fuel line off the carb is with a 1" open end wrench on the filter housing and a vise-grip locking wrench on the nut.

The Original™ Locking Wrenches - Tools - IRWIN TOOLS

God bless, Sensei

I've already tried that with no luck. I bought a new fuel line so it dosen't matter what I do to the old one. I also dropped the rear of the car down so the fuel dosent come from the tank.

Got it off....wooohooo :rotfl. It took a bit but it finally broke free :thumb. It still was draining from the bottom, so I just changed the filter and will wait till later to change the fuel line. :cool

I had the same problem when changing the fuel pump. The fuel pump being the lowest point the gastank (like Gerry says) will grain, and with a full tank I wasn't that happy. I put some sort of metal clothespin on it with seemed to slow it down.
It will also help when you change the fuel filter to put a "pressure spring stop" in front of the filter, this will prevent the carb bowl from draining back down.

Greetings Peter

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom