Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Fuel Tank Capacity

HERE'S how you let your car run out of gas:
You start with a) a healthy mistrust of gas gauges, and b) a new car. You put in a little can with about a gallon of gas in it, and you drive around until the engine won't run. If you're lucky (like me) you're near a gas station, if not, you pour in your 'reserve' gallon.
Then you KNOW how much gas the car takes, and what the gauge reads just before it runs out. This knowledge can be useful in avoiding having this happen again!
Finally, if you ALWAYS run it empty, or nearly so, there IS no build-up of crud in the bottom of your tank to rust it out. Sure, you replace your filter every year, but so what? Gasoline makes a wonderful hair conditioner, don't you think? :)

I know all about expansion volume in gas tanks, etc. What I DON'T know is why some folks on this thread have experience identical to mine, 18.5 gallon capacity or so, others report 20?
Another possibility, what some car manufacturers (e.g., Ford) do is adjust fuel capacity as a way of improving their emissions numbers. It works like this: If you're close to the 'breakpoint' on weight, or "Inertia Test Weight", which is set in 250 lb increments, and you're just barely passing the emissions test, or maybe barely failing it, you can get the emissions test run at a lower test weight (the emissions dyno setting) if there is less fuel capacity, and therefore less weight of fuel with a "full" tank. Company 'F' at least used to do this without even changing the fuel tank, just by inserting the filler neck farther into the tank. Depending on the car/truck, you could sometimes get another 2 - 3 gallons per fill by pulling the filler neck out to where it was originally designed to be.
My original question on this thread, I guess, had to do with whether this might have been done with the Corvette.
Regards,
R

jjones said:
Let's hear a round of applause for those of us who have never run out of fuel. Sometime you will have to tell me how you let that happen (unless your gas guage is broken).

When I was a kiddie bouncing on my daddy's knee, I was told if you let your tank get close to empty, all the crap in the bottom would be forced through the engine. I believed it and never let it get past a quarter tank. Anal? Maybe, but you won't find me standing roadside with a gas can in my hand! :s

Redbob said:
HERE'S how you let your car run out of gas:
You start with a) a healthy mistrust of gas gauges, and b) a new car. You put in a little can with about a gallon of gas in it, and you drive around until the engine won't run. If you're lucky (like me) you're near a gas station, if not, you pour in your 'reserve' gallon.
Then you KNOW how much gas the car takes, and what the gauge reads just before it runs out. This knowledge can be useful in avoiding having this happen again!
Regards,
R

I have found my gauge unreliable to be absolutely sure when it runs out. It takes a linear path to reserve and then after about using a half gallon it goes back to reading above reserve. (sender has a bad spot on it)

If I forget that I am deep into reserve and continue driving, I do this regularly,:eek: I get a surprise reading with only one bar left. That last bar dissappears quickly and I play a head game with my self that I won't run out. That removes any stress about "running out" and allows me to play Russian Roulette (a game for thrill seekers) to find a station. Sometime though I lose, however it can go quite a distance with low fuel pressure (just can't pick up any speed) and usually roll into a station.
Only once did I actully run out 15 feet from the hose. (other cars have left me by the roadside:( )

My wife won't play this game so if she is with me I have to get gas when it is on 1/4 tank or she starts screamin!!!:D

I don't recommend this game of chance to weak kneed individuals.:)

BTW. I have the original fuel pump too.

To tell you the truth, I rarely look at the gas 'gauge', it's so pessimistic. The trip computer is pretty good at providing "miles to empty," until it gets below about 30 miles. Then it drops to say, 23 miles, a mile later 18 miles, then a mile later to 13 miles or so, then... nada.

Redbob said:
To tell you the truth, I rarely look at the gas 'gauge', it's so pessimistic. The trip computer is pretty good at providing "miles to empty," until it gets below about 30 miles. Then it drops to say, 23 miles, a mile later 18 miles, then a mile later to 13 miles or so, then... nada.

I have run out with the trip computer says 17 more miles left.:mad

So, Frank, what's the conclusion? Is an 18.5 gallon capacity typical for an '89, or is a repair in order? Or is there some other tank out there that'll give me a 20 gal. capacity?
The only reason this is important to me is that I take extended trips in my car, 500 miles +, and I tend to do it all at once, with a minimum number of stops.
At 18 gal. I need to make a gas stop between here (north of Dallas) and the beach at Galveston, for example. At 20 gal. capacity, no fueling stop would be required, so the trip just got shorter by 15 minutes or so. Between here and Santa Fe, it's the difference between one gas stop and two, and I DO hate to slow down!
Regards,
- R

Redbob said:
So, Frank, what's the conclusion? Is an 18.5 gallon capacity typical for an '89, or is a repair in order? Or is there some other tank out there that'll give me a 20 gal. capacity?
The only reason this is important to me is that I take extended trips in my car, 500 miles +, and I tend to do it all at once, with a minimum number of stops.
At 18 gal. I need to make a gas stop between here (north of Dallas) and the beach at Galveston, for example. At 20 gal. capacity, no fueling stop would be required, so the trip just got shorter by 15 minutes or so. Between here and Santa Fe, it's the difference between one gas stop and two, and I DO hate to slow down!
Regards,
- R

I don't know how much is still left in the tank when I run out. Its possible it could be 1.5 gals.
Add that to the 18.5 gal refuel and total = 20 gallons.

I drive from here to Carlisle, (all interstate)exactly 450 miles and I need to gas up in Carlisle (I usually just hit reserve). I normally average 27.5 - 28mpg.

You do the math for your trip.

If it were my car on your trip, I think I would carry a small 2.5 gallon jug and put it in at the first stop. Then I would be comfortable making the 500 miles with out refueling.:cool

Well, not to make too fine a point here, but if the "usable" fuel tank capacity is merely 18 gallons, say, then that's what I'd call an 18-gallon tank!
If it's going to be called a "20-gallon" tank, then it not only has to let me put 20 gallons into it, but I've got to be able to get 20 back out.
I've got a Bronco with nominal 33-gal. tank; when it's completely empty, I pump in 33 gallons. I've got a Suzuki with a 5-gallon tank; when the engine coughs and dies, I can pump in another 5 gallons.
Or do our Corvettes play by different rules?
Enquiring minds need to know!
- R

Ya know what ya gots to do...

The ONLY way to find out for sure is to just run the bugger out. If'n I was youse I would take a gallon jug with me when you get close.

Thanks for the tip; this thread has now officially come full circle, and should be terminated.
My originating post said "...I know that, having run mine completely dry, it doesn't hold more than 18.5 gallons or so unless you fill the filler neck. " and I later added,
"You put in a little can with about a gallon of gas in it, and you drive around until the engine won't run."

So, let me summarize: several people have Corvettes like mine that only have about an 18.5 gallon fill capacity. Others can pump 20 gallons into (and more importantly, out of) theirs.
Reasons for differences?
Who knows.

Thanks all; let's just let this die!
- R

What comes around...

Is it too late to change this thread to "Beating a dead horse"? Wait a minute, that is already taken. :)

JJ,
I gotta go with the Bridgestone s-01 s-02 as the best tire around right now but at a big$ price. I just put Dunlop 5000 on all four and gotta say it outperforms Goodyear wet and dry by a mile. And you can't beat the price. The 8000 may better suit your car . Definitely worth a look.

Thanks Restless, I will add these tires to the pile (so to speak). I almost missed your reply but I had to burn a copy of this thread cause I thought it was so darn funny. Good material for my book - "Mothers Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to be Car Buffs".

:J :Roll :Roll :J

Quote"Mothers Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to be Car Buffs".

I resemble that remark!

:L

Better than Goodyear?

Hate to break it to you but Dunlop is Goodyear. Goodyear bought them about 3 years ago to get a foothold in the european market.

For me, that's not really bad news. Had another tire debate yesterday and Goodyear's reputation for Vette's isn't bad- I guess depending on who you talk to. I like to stay stock - car looks "right" that way. But still haven't made the final decision.

Vig,

I'm reading your reply on replacing the hood supports. My 85 has what appears to be two pumps at the front and a locking bar support. You mention 3 supports. Is the 88 different? I assume if I replace the two small pumps at the nose I'll have an easy time considering I spend have my life in the engine compartment. Where did you purchase the pumps?
Thanks,

Restless, they aren't pumps, they are hydraulic "assist" cylinders and they really don't do much in the way of assisting.

I swapped my set-up for a later model (88 and up) hydraulic assisted hood support, it eliminates the need for the small cylinders. You can simply leave the existing supports in place when you change out the main support, no need to remove them.

You can purchase the necessary replacement parts through any of the major catalogs, either stock or retro-fit. ;)

_ken :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom