Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Gear Break in?

U

UB2 SLOW

Just swaped out 3.07's for 3.75's. How much of a break in do I need?

Take it easy on 'em for a few hundred miles, then have at it! :upthumbs

Hopefully when they installed them they ran them in as they were setting it up. ;)

_ken :w

I agree. You are going to love the 3.75's...I do!

Wow, that's a great swap. :cool Please report back and tell us what you think. :)

When I got the 2.59s swapped for 3.54s they pretty much told me to go easy for the first few hundred, then after about 500 or so you should drain the gear oil and replace it. At that time check for any larger metal deposits. There shouldn't be any.
One article I read and followed had a first 50-100 mile breakin procedure. Drive the car for about 10-15mi. Stop and let it cool down for an hour or so. Do this again a couple of more times. Their point was that the first few times the car is driven the gears are going to heat up to normal temps but they have never been there before. So the heat/cool process helps the metal set. I did it and then took it really easy on the car for about 300 miles. Then got on it a little during the next 300. Then changed the gear oil. Maybe a little overkill but my gears are happy and no metal shavings in the oil.
After your breakin is done. Kick off the ASR. And nail it. And hold it through the 1st-2nd gear shift. Hang on. The a$$ end may try to pass the front end, you'll love it :J
Graham

My.02 cents

Go easy the first 500 miles......long cruises...flat ground.

Change oil....... go 1500 miles Normal driving.

Change oil..... then YEE HAW time ( when needed ).

THE EASIER you are on your rear end... the better it will treat you.

Vig!

I will let you know what the results are. I plan on going to the track after I get them broke in.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom