Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Gimme Some Ideas

B

Brian86

The ol' L-98 went down a couple of weeks ago with 177,000 miles on it. I took it to the local Chevy dealer and they said I had no compression in the front two cylinders. What I need help with is what are some recomendations for heads and cams.
Also would it be possible to swap all the TPI stuff over to a 350hp 355 that I already have running in another car.
My 86 has the early style heads so there should'nt be any difference, or is there? Gotta get the old girl's heart pumping again.(SOON)

Brian :confused

p.s. I bought the car last June with 173,000 , so I'd say someone was awful hard on it . :r

Edelbrock.TPiS and I think Trick have good heads available.

As for the cam Ive noticed the ZZ4 cam from TPiS is very popular and it seems to be the one Im going with on my build later next year. Just some ideas.

Im not to sure if your 355 will fit the ol TPI stuff or not but someone here will definitly know.

Brian, Big Red has put you on the path.

It is really up to your budget. Your biggest problem is overcoming the stock intake manifold. You can build the most precise, bored, stroked, cammed, valved long block in the world, and have troulbe pumping more than 300 hsp with the stock intake.

You need to either look into porting it out and getting bigger runners etc, or replacing it with one of the many on the market.

Don't worry too much about the heads and the intake. If you get the newer heads, you can easily slot out your older style intake to accomodate the new bolt pattern, and visa/versa.

That TPiS Mini Ram would solve some power issues eh 69?

What is it they say..like a 95 Horsepower gain from a one piece Plenum/Intake Manifold for only 1200 bucks with the fuel rail?

Im sure aiming for that and converting to Aluminum heads thats my plan. ( And if Santas nice to me I'll have my 383 Stroker shrot block waiting for me:L )

Does anyone have a trick combo they would recommend and I'm trying to stay under $2,500.

Big Red would you have the part number for the Edelbrock and Trick Flow heads ?

I have been considering the ZZ4 cam also.

Brian :w

Brian, i went with the Trickflow's part# TFS-30400001
I got mine for $840 with the upgraded springs from goautocenter.com. They also have the ZZ4 cam for $125
You will need to upgrade your intake system to get the best results! I got a new Accel superram intake base from rich@cruzinperformance.com for $389 ! with the money left over get a set of Arizona speed and marine runners and some Comp Cams magnum roller tip rockers. that should still leave you money for a custom chip:)

Looking out of Jeg's catalog here,

I think (Don't quote me on it)

Edelbrock Performer: 350-60859 549.99 Each

so 1100.00 Pair

And that is a Complete unit with Centerbolt Valve Covers and 60cc

TPiS Heads 500-512 With core exchange $1500

Crane Cam (Compucam) 270-104224 (Stock Hydraulic) $259.99
87-89 (Your changing heads I thought this might work)

TPiS ZZ-409 700-121 $375.00
Pre 86 Incase you dont change heads

TPiS zz-409 700-120 $375.00
87-89 Incase you do

So Id say your going to end up with a little left over
heh heh hehee heehhehe....

The Mini Ram is $895 from TPiS (500-505)
The Fuel rail is $355 from TPiS (500-507)
MSD 6A-L 259.99 bucks (Ecklers part# 27912)(TPiS $199.00)
MSD Blaster 2/HEI Coil pick one.. 50-75 bucks
K&N Air Filter 40-60 bucks
(Cut a hole in your air filter cover they want 60 bucks to do that for ya) (Ecklers)
Hyper Tech Chip/Jet Chip (Becuase your making some Heavy duty Mods go with TPiS's or have one burned for you

Hope I helped ya

THANX BIG RED , THATS WHAT I NEEDED TO KNOW. I'LL LET YOU KNOW HOW THINGS TURN OUT ON THIS IN A FEW MONTHS.

BRIAN :beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom