Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

My so called budget Build Ca smog legal Money pit

Marv02

Corvette
1986 C-4 Corvette
The Car 1986 C4 with (5.7) 350 2 bolt Main 148000 on the clock.
Ran good compression seem good.
Did not smoke trans was tight but I never happy it’s time to get my hands dirty.
But I purchased this car first of the year it was sitting outside in a field for the last 7 years last time it was ran before I got it was 3 years ago.
Had it running after a week repainted the car in my garage myself trying to save some money New seats New door panels, Rebuilt dash cluster New A/C system New Brakes Rotors Ect new tires.
Now it motor and trans time.
I putting in a 4 Bolt Main 355 motor with the following.
Trick Flow 23 195 heads, Howards cam and lifters 288/288 Duration, 447/447 Lift 110 C/L
Scorpion Roller rockers 1.5
Comp cam push rods comp cam timing set
Kevko hot rod oil pan 7 inch deep pan.
Edebrock EGR, TPI Hi Flow base intake.
SLP Runners
Custom Chip FIC 24# Injectors
Magna Flow Mufflers.
If the numbers are right I should be seeing around 380 to 390 HP and 427 TQ at 5400 RPM's.
Now here some pictures so far what’s been done
But a couple things I can tell you already save yourself some extra cash Make sure you get a R/H oil stick 1 piece crank seal motor I think it going to cost me a extra $300.00 in parts I got a L/H side dip stick my Mess up.
Motor Out

out2.jpg

out3.jpg

Out1.jpg

out4.jpg

out5.jpg

out6.jpg

out7.jpg

New Motor

Still Waiting on Parts.

new1.jpg

new2.jpg

new3.jpg

new4.jpg

new5.jpg

new6.jpg

new7.jpg

More pictures to come as I get more parts in.

Do you already have all these parts or you are still planning on getting them. I seriously considered doing a similar build to my C4 and collected a bunch of information. Here is what I found and you may end up finding this useful as you go through with your build.

Mod Advice for L98 and LT1s

Check out TPIS. They have a ton of bolt on parts for the L98.
TPiS, Inc.

Looking good! Keep us posted.

Just waiting

All the parts have been ordered just waiting for the to show up at the door.

And I need to take the Trans down to et beefed up.

If you need more info who I went though for this Build PM me.

I should be getting 380 to 390 H/P and 427 TQ smouth idel and know ones going to know any better evrey 2 years at the smog check.

Do you already have all these parts or you are still planning on getting them. I seriously considered doing a similar build to my C4 and collected a bunch of information. Here is what I found and you may end up finding this useful as you go through with your build.

Mod Advice for L98 and LT1s

Check out TPIS. They have a ton of bolt on parts for the L98.
TPiS, Inc.

Looking good! Keep us posted.

Up Date 2

Installed Cam, Liffters, Push rods, Timming Can set, Roller Rocker Arms. Timming cover, Intake Base, New 24# FIC injectores, SPL Runners.
Did some grinding on the stock Plenum to port macth the new SPL runners.
I started to install the Oil cooler adapter but it the wrrong one Figures I ordered a new one, But I mite have to go with a remote filter The adapert for the coller going to make the filter hang down LOW so after I get the motor back in to it's nwew home we will see what I need to do to get things to work out.

NewMotorUpdate5.jpg

NewMotorUpdate4.jpg

NewMotorUpDate3.jpg

NewMotorUpdate2.jpg

NewMotorUpdate1.jpg

Can I take off the heater add on stock adapter for the oil filter if I do this is it going to cause me any problems.​

I just looking for away not having issues running a engine oil cooler and having the oil filter hanging down to low to the ground.​

I know this will cause the car not to heat up as fast or is it there to cool it down.

OilCooler.jpg

Can I take off the heater add on stock adapter for the oil filter if I do this is it going to cause me any problems.​

I just looking for away not having issues running a engine oil cooler and having the oil filter hanging down to low to the ground.​

I know this will cause the car not to heat up as fast or is it there to cool it down.​

The eng oil cooler on the oil filter is there for oil cooling...it helps keep the oil temp stable. Oil is slower to heat up than water, so when your eng temp shows warm, the oil is not there yet. This cooler helps get oil warm and keep it cool, stable. You can go remote and keep the cooler collar since the remote just sits on top of the cooler. If you do that, it MAY be a good idea to look at oil accumalators to keep oil in the system before start up. With a new motor, an accumalator would be high on my list of "got to" have parts..

Looking good Marv!

:upthumbs

When I get the motor back in the car Then I will see what will work I have a feeling I am going with a remote Filter setup.

If I remember from the old days I can replace the Stock PH30 with a longer filter I just need to find the Part number for it.

I will put the remote out board of the stock filter location up by the Kick panel I will have to fab up some type of mounting Bracket to get this to work.

The eng oil cooler on the oil filter is there for oil cooling...it helps keep the oil temp stable. Oil is slower to heat up than water, so when your eng temp shows warm, the oil is not there yet. This cooler helps get oil warm and keep it cool, stable. You can go remote and keep the cooler collar since the remote just sits on top of the cooler. If you do that, it MAY be a good idea to look at oil accumalators to keep oil in the system before start up. With a new motor, an accumalator would be high on my list of "got to" have parts..

More Parts

I got my trans parts today from Monster Transmissions and my New Tourqe Converter From Hughes 2500 Stall lock up.
I put together this weekend and put the trans back into the car with AMSOIL trans fluid it should be a good setup for what I using the car for.
As for the motor STILL waiting on ther Oil pan, Oil Pick up, gave the guy a E-Mail today where my stuff.
And waiting on my Chip.
Also ordered a Windage tray that will be here this friday. and water pump high flow it should be here any day now.
I also just ordered a new Fuel pump set up I didn't need one but hey I have this much money and time into it so far whats anouther $100.00.
At least I know the Fuel pump will be good also.:lol:
With any Luck the trans will go back in This Saturday and drop the motor back in Sunday if not next weekend for the motor.

Ticked Off

Yes I ticked off at the OIL Pan vender they told me my new oil pan and pick up was shipped out over a week ago now they are telling me they just got done building my oil pan today.
I told then Number 1, I don’t like them flat out Lying to me.
Then I told them to make things right they should over night my oil pan and pick up that last time I asked them it was already shipped out to me.
I also asked them for a tracking number and they also blew that off.
I will hold back there name for now and see if they do right but not I purchased it though E-Bay I will get them and PayPal involved and get my money back from those lyres.
I was hoping to get the motor back in the Vett this coming weekend now that’s not going to happen.
I will let you know if they stand by what they sell or a bunch of flakes.

Yes I ticked off at the OIL Pan vender they told me my new oil pan and pick up was shipped out over a week ago now they are telling me they just got done building my oil pan today.
I told then Number 1, I don’t like them flat out Lying to me.
Then I told them to make things right they should over night my oil pan and pick up that last time I asked them it was already shipped out to me.
I also asked them for a tracking number and they also blew that off.
I will hold back there name for now and see if they do right but not I purchased it though E-Bay I will get them and PayPal involved and get my money back from those lyres.
I was hoping to get the motor back in the Vett this coming weekend now that’s not going to happen.
I will let you know if they stand by what they sell or a bunch of flakes.

Hopefully the pan will show up soon....

Thats the trade off with fee-bay sellers. You just don;t know who you;re dealing with not being able to walk in a store. They could be your next door neighbor that uses "drop shipping" to take orders and have parts sent directly to the customer. Who knows... but who ever they are, I hope they get your parts to you soon. I';m curious as to how it'll run !
Good Luck

Quite a project. Thanks for taking us along!

Oil pan update

Ok here the Update on my pan issues.
After writing a Nasty E-Mail to them I received a tracking number form FEDEX it said the pan and pickup should be here on the 29th of this month.
I don’t like playing hard ball but push I will. I will say everything better be shipped at one time.
I still am going to give him a bad review on E-Bay that’s for sure and his poor business practices.

Ok here the Update on my pan issues.
After writing a Nasty E-Mail to them I received a tracking number form FEDEX it said the pan and pickup should be here on the 29th of this month.
I don’t like playing hard ball but push I will. I will say everything better be shipped at one time.
I still am going to give him a bad review on E-Bay that’s for sure and his poor business practices.

wow...another week. If things go right,,,(uh huh) it will show up just in time for the weekend to assy and install.

either way, if they did'nt deliver or perform, hit them the ONLY place where it hurts....in the ass pocket. Thats all these businesses pay ANY attention to.

Next

Monster transmisson sent me the wrong parts once again work stopage.

Oil Pan

Ya Me I got My oil Pan

OilPan5.jpg

OilPan4.jpg

OilPan3.jpg

OilPan2.jpg

OilPan1.jpg

Cool :thumb

Whats the capacity of that pan ?

Looks like the squared corners should add at least a qt.

Few things (mechanical) prettier than a brand new, spotless shiney new motor !

Do yourself a favor and ditch the Fram filter. You invested many dollars into your engine give it a good oil filter like K&N, ACDelco, WIX, etc...

The new motor is installed now I have to start installing all the other acc and stuff.
And put the trans back in during the week.
Ya Ya I post pictures.

The Cheep fram for the first 20 minute break in start then oil change then it's getting swapped out. with a Napa Gold 7099.

Run 1 tank a of gas though it then change the oil again with some good stuff.

I using Cheep Walmart barnd oil for the first 20 minute run then swicthing to Castrol Dino Oil then to Full Syntetic Mobil 1.
I also installed my new fuel pump today.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom