Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

My so called budget Build Ca smog legal Money pit

With filter 6 Qt's but when I add the Oil cooler and the lines to front of the Rad it most likely hold 8 Qt's so it should run nice a cool.

Also running a Trans cooler So I should add anouther 1 or 2 more.

The web site for the oil pan said it a 5 Qt pan then add 1 qt for the for the filter.

I had to mod the tray in the new oil pan due to my Windage tray not a big deal.

The pan has anti slosh doors that was cool.

Cool :thumb

Whats the capacity of that pan ?

Looks like the squared corners should add at least a qt.

Few things (mechanical) prettier than a brand new, spotless shiney new motor !

should bea nice piece when your done , are you putting headers on her ? any plans on taking her to fontana or famoso to she what she will do????

should bea nice piece when your done , are you putting headers on her ? any plans on taking her to fontana or famoso to she what she will do????

Theres a CHP C-4 out there around Indio somewhere that would be glad to "clock" your car :L

:Dna i take my cars to the drag strip .last fri the 92 went 11,94 @117.90 mph at famoso in bakersfield . there vids of both cars on utube. under joeshmoe 12301230 fastest vid i have of the blk 90 is 12.10 @119.85 mph . eat your heart out :D but it has gone 11.66 @122.20 mph at sac in jan when the da was -200 ft. for the highway i has mister valintine one , got to love that radar detector

:Dna i take my cars to the drag strip .last fri the 92 went 11,94 @117.90 mph at famoso in bakersfield . there vids of both cars on utube. under joeshmoe 12301230 fastest vid i have of the blk 90 is 12.10 @119.85 mph . eat your heart out :D but it has gone 11.66 @122.20 mph at sac in jan when the da was -200 ft. for the highway i has mister valintine one , got to love that radar detector

Those are some pretty good times....the ambient temp in Bakersfield had to be pretty high this time of year. Thats one of the problems with Fontucky...gets real hot in the San Berdu area.

thanx , last fri the temp was 90 deg @11.00pm and the da according to drag times was right at 3000 ft . we made a couple of changes to help the car launch we made a rubber snubber extention so there was only 1/4 in air gap and adjusted the coilovers so when the car was at full power going down the strip it was the shortest height wise . took a little fiddling , balso moved the air temp sensor to the air dam so i would get heat soak in the staging lanes . before last fri it was common for the air temp gauge to read 120 by the time i got to the line which killed the fueling and timing. now with ti moved it was reading 90-95 deg which was the temp at the time . we also plugged the vacume going to the fuel pressure reg . which help us get a little more fuel to help 60 fts . but launching a 420rwhp c4 6 spd is tricky at best .my best 60 ft was 1.83 with the new nitto nto5r drag radials , which are way better at least to me thatn the mt drag radials i had before . we are thinking we could really improve the 60 fts by either going to the 275 40 17 drag radials or go down to a 16 in tire to get a larger side wall which would help with the launch on a manual car. but if she starts to hook too good then i might start braking 1/2 shafts or stub axles . since i have to travel 190 miles one way to go to the strip i think i will just stay with the tires i have . sure is fun going to the strip in the zr1 as alot of young people think its a standard c4 till they see it run. after she runs once there allways seem like there is a bunch of people comming up and asking tons of questions .which is why my buddies named the white 92 Farrah , as she gets a ton of atten where ever she goes . where in texas are you located ,i have a good buddy corey henderson that has a great shop in new braunfells . he ported the blk car and tuned both the blk 90 and white 92 . he is a great guy to either do work on your car or tune it . he also owns a 368 ci 91 zr1 corvette that runs very low 11s. . i think so mkuch of his work i drove both cars almost 3000 miles round trip just to have him tune them. he even improved the gas mileage on the 92 ,on the way out she got 23.8 and on the way back she got 27.6 and thats with 3.92 gears . and i wasnt going slow on the way back as it was too much fun driving the car with the 27 more rwhp he found . if your close and want your car tuned right look him up once you meet him you will see what a grest guy he is that really does enjoy bettering every car that crosses his dyno . have a great week end :w

I not going to race the car just a street car everyday driver But I mite put on a Dyno just to find out what I built.

thanx , last fri the temp was 90 deg @11.00pm and the da according to drag times was right at 3000 ft . we made a couple of changes to help the car launch we made a rubber snubber extention so there was only 1/4 in air gap and adjusted the coilovers so when the car was at full power going down the strip it was the shortest height wise . took a little fiddling , balso moved the air temp sensor to the air dam so i would get heat soak in the staging lanes . before last fri it was common for the air temp gauge to read 120 by the time i got to the line which killed the fueling and timing. now with ti moved it was reading 90-95 deg which was the temp at the time . we also plugged the vacume going to the fuel pressure reg . which help us get a little more fuel to help 60 fts . but launching a 420rwhp c4 6 spd is tricky at best .my best 60 ft was 1.83 with the new nitto nto5r drag radials , which are way better at least to me thatn the mt drag radials i had before . we are thinking we could really improve the 60 fts by either going to the 275 40 17 drag radials or go down to a 16 in tire to get a larger side wall which would help with the launch on a manual car. but if she starts to hook too good then i might start braking 1/2 shafts or stub axles . since i have to travel 190 miles one way to go to the strip i think i will just stay with the tires i have . sure is fun going to the strip in the zr1 as alot of young people think its a standard c4 till they see it run. after she runs once there allways seem like there is a bunch of people comming up and asking tons of questions .which is why my buddies named the white 92 Farrah , as she gets a ton of atten where ever she goes . where in texas are you located ,i have a good buddy corey henderson that has a great shop in new braunfells . he ported the blk car and tuned both the blk 90 and white 92 . he is a great guy to either do work on your car or tune it . he also owns a 368 ci 91 zr1 corvette that runs very low 11s. . i think so mkuch of his work i drove both cars almost 3000 miles round trip just to have him tune them. he even improved the gas mileage on the 92 ,on the way out she got 23.8 and on the way back she got 27.6 and thats with 3.92 gears . and i wasnt going slow on the way back as it was too much fun driving the car with the 27 more rwhp he found . if your close and want your car tuned right look him up once you meet him you will see what a grest guy he is that really does enjoy bettering every car that crosses his dyno . have a great week end :w

Thanks for the tip... You;re the 2nd person that told me to see Corey in New Braunfells Tex. I'm not far, but think I'll wait until I build another motor. This one is ok and just needs a prom thats been burned for the extra inches, inj, exh, and intake work. The next one will have lots more to have to calculate for a pro-tuner,.

Marv,
I'm as anxious as anyone to see how yours runs. I'm paying attention to what everyone else does lately so I can make some decisions this next yr. I'm keeping an eye out for a good short block now. Got to move first, and do some domestic stuff, THEN think about car parts....I think thats the correct order.(difference between now and 30 yrs ago):rotfl

jusr something to think about , corey is very smart on what makes good power without being to radical . he has done some pretty impresive builds , so when your ready you might call and pick his mind on your build

After I go though the Supension I would like to take the car down to the local track Willow Springs for Track day And take around the coures just for fun.

But not to fast I dont want to crash it.

The new motor is installed now I have to start installing all the other acc and stuff.
And put the trans back in during the week.
Ya Ya I post pictures.

The Cheep fram for the first 20 minute break in start then oil change then it's getting swapped out. with a Napa Gold 7099.

Run 1 tank a of gas though it then change the oil again with some good stuff.

I using Cheep Walmart barnd oil for the first 20 minute run then swicthing to Castrol Dino Oil then to Full Syntetic Mobil 1.
I also installed my new fuel pump today.

Good Call...:beer

The motors in pictures

Newmotorin1.jpg

Newmotorin2.jpg

Newmotorin3.jpg

Newmotorin4.jpg

Now I waiting for the trans parts that should be here this monday I should have the trans back in Monday or Tuesday then turn the key.

Ok I have about $4000.00 in to the motor I was looking at around $3500.00 to start with so I am $500.00 over budget there.

Trans I was looking at $1000.00 to have someone else rebuild it for my I did it myself I have $600.00 so I saved $400.00

All said and done Total cost $4600.00 I am over by $100.00 Not bad.

Where I could of save a couple buck getting a Right handed Dip stick motor So I did not have to go buy a Pan for the left handed dip stick motor $150.00 New Dip Stick $20.00 Addapters for the sending units $20.00 Oh ya the new motor is a 2 piece rear main seal So I need to get a new Flext plate $45.00. I could of saved $235.00

This would of made my build Cost $4365.00

I wanted at first to rebuild the stock L98 Block but not knowing it was just a 2 bolt main motor I glad I used anouther block it a 4 bolt main just more Bullet proff.

Beside with my luck it would end up costing me more if I had the old block machined Don't know why that how thing go for me.

This is doing all the labor my self Pulling the motor and trans build up the short Block Rebuilding the trans, And I mean my self 1 person job pulling and installing the motor and trans.

Stinking Badges I don't need on sticking Badges LOL (Quoted from the moive Blazing Saddles).

Ya I could of been easyer with some help But I better off letting my wife not getting me mad with the cherry picker I easyer to do it my self.

For someone else who want to this route and save a couple more bucks.
This for Budget not the best just to save some cash and still have a good set up.
1. Use the old rockes arms $150.00
2. Use the old push rods $30.00
3. If you old water pump good reuse it $100.00
4. Use the old Fuel Pump $120.00
5. Oil cooler it nice but dont have to do $110.00

Save $510.00

Then the dip stick mistake thats anouther $225.00
This some of the stuff you can do latter if you want to.
But for me I just want to get it together and not have to tear back into it latter thats why I replaced the rest extra stuff.

This build will cost you $3855.00

Trans

What I have learned today is.

Rebuilding my 700R4 not so much fun after all.

Taking it apart was easy putting baclk together not so easy Now I know why It cost so much labor cost.

I will hopfuly finish it up tomarrow..
would I do it again I take it out and put it back in but next time I wnm't try to save a buck I let a shop rebuild it for me.

The only reason I did this timne around I have put to much money in to this project this year already Try to save some money

What I have learned today is.

Rebuilding my 700R4 not so much fun after all.

Taking it apart was easy putting baclk together not so easy Now I know why It cost so much labor cost.

I will hopfuly finish it up tomarrow..
would I do it again I take it out and put it back in but next time I wnm't try to save a buck I let a shop rebuild it for me.

The only reason I did this timne around I have put to much money in to this project this year already Try to save some money

Thats a huge challenge! Looks like you;re in control of this situation.

I'd tear into just about anything EXCEPT an auto trans....I've seen one cover 2 sides of a garage floor in little pieces and right there I knew I'd never want to try a rebuild myself. Heck, half the shops just swap major parts and don;t actually "rebuild" anything. Often they just trade out whole trans and send the old unit to some other place that does have the tools and skills to rebuild and warranty.

I can tell you that a minor rebuild of a 700r4 is about the same as the motor.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom